Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > ALL OTHER FORD MODELS > Non Ford Vehicles

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old November 16th, 2011, 01:31 AM

Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Default Tow hooks/eyes

There is probably a better place to put this thread, someone tell me where haha
Maybe we need an offroad section, or a vehicle rescue section, I digress.
Tow hooks, any one have something fabbed onto a vehicle that didn't come with them?
I like the look of these

My understanding is that they are from a 97+ f150 expedition and some sport tracs. They fit on a 92-96 f150 no problem, not sure about a brick though.
I'm just looking for some suggestions of what people have done, where to get them really cheap.. or someone with a set of tow hooks laying around for real real real cheap. I'm not sure what a junkyard would want for a set.

I'm pretty sure the super duty ones are similar, but they bolt inside of the frame rail with 4 large bolts. I think.
Old November 16th, 2011, 01:49 AM

Some reasearch. I kinda like these in black, with that little latch thing on there I like em more, I don't like open loop design for the fact of strength and I like using a d-ring/clevis so stuff doesn't come off when getting unstuck.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/heavy-duty-...wx?filterid=j1

But from the looks of things, it would probably mount directly to my frame where the sway bar mount is, I will have to get a picture of mine for you (it is all bent up from hooking a chain to it one time in a pinch)
Until then, this is basically the same. I also do not have a crumple zone to worry about.

Super duty hooks new on amazon were 50+ each.
Old November 21st, 2011, 12:49 PM

Old November 21st, 2011, 06:59 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I don't have the tow hooks on my truck anymore, unfortunately I had to lose them for my bull bar. I've found the general consensus on factory tow hooks, not just Ford, to be that they are pretty useless due to the closed ring design most OEM hooks use. A friend of mine changed his to the second style you posted but without the latch, that I've never seen before.

2005 F150 FX4
Old November 21st, 2011, 09:08 PM

I prefer the closed loop design honestly. The open loops break, a lot. Look at any chevy that has been stuck or hit on the front, I've seen a buttload of em break. The closed loop is so much stronger. Plus I carry a couple different sized clevis' and chains and a tow strap.
Do you still have your stock hooks?
Old November 22nd, 2011, 09:49 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I do. I kept them in case I ever take the bull bar off. I'm a bit of a hoarder and have all the OEM parts I've taken off my trucks.

2005 F150 FX4
The Following User Likes This Post:
DoubleDee (December 1st, 2011)
Old November 22nd, 2011, 10:25 PM

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

I have the factory open hooks on my truck. Never had a need to use them. More ornamental than useful over here.

When I was younger and lived in the mainland I had a '77 - Chevy P/U w/350 4x4. It had 4spd w/granny low and I used a pintle hook and ball off the back receiver hitch. I would turn the pintle upside down and use the ball to tow my weekend bustitup toy to go 4x4'g.

When we broke the bustitup toy we would just buy more beer and burgers the next weekend to fix it. Then bustitup the next and repeat the cycle. What a wonderful life those days were. simple as heck.

What we leave behind are our words and our deeds. Nothing else really matters.

Last edited by HawaiianF150; November 22nd, 2011 at 10:28 PM.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 04:58 AM

I got the receiver and ball and clevises and all that jazz for the back, the front is a problem. The one time I was framed on the passenger side in a ditch, pulling from the back wouldn't help, just make it worse, so I had to hook a chain up and around the frame horn on the front. Of course after a tug and a yank the chain got good n tight and stayed wrapped around the frame until the next day. I have only been stuck twice, but one of those times, hooks would of helped tremendously.
Old November 30th, 2011, 10:43 AM

Liked 187 Times in 169 Posts

someone made a nice pair and posted a pic some time ago
but I cant find it

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

Old November 30th, 2011, 12:42 PM

I thought about trying to make a pair.
Looks like I'll be doing a junkyard hunt over break though, money is tight and buying a set especially the super duty ones just ain't gunna happen.
I'm gunna go to a jy and wheel n deal on a trans, pedal assembly, possibly steering column and whatever else I can pick up for cheap.