Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > GARAGE TALK > Garage Talk: Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old March 31st, 2012, 03:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default HID lights

I have a 2005 F150... how do I know which HID conversion kit to get? They have slim balast and full and bi-xenon... What is all of this?

PS - I want some pink ones.

:)
Old March 31st, 2012, 07:31 PM

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

LilBit - Check out the link below and give them a call/email. Their phone number - top right of the home page - click the link to send an email.

Great Rep -These guys know the way.

http://www.retro-solutions.com/

What we leave behind are our words and our deeds. Nothing else really matters.

Old March 31st, 2012, 09:04 PM

Liked 36 Times in 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianF150 View Post
LilBit - Check out the link below and give them a call/email. Their phone number - top right of the home page - click the link to send an email.

Great Rep -These guys know the way.

http://www.retro-solutions.com/
I had a ballast go out on my truck about a month ago, think ill give them a call. cant find anybody local that are any help

click below to see my FTC Gallery

Don't forget those that came before you! Be proud of who you are and where your from.

“No damn man kills me and lives.” Confederate Lieutenant General, Nathan Bedford Forrest

Old April 1st, 2012, 01:06 AM

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Skateboard - The link was in a FTC thread posted by Ted C .

But I have called them and they seemed straight up and knowledgeable. The person I spoke with was really helpful. Of course he wanted to make a sale but he seemed to care more about making sure I understood what it was that I needed and seperated that from what I wanted.

What we leave behind are our words and our deeds. Nothing else really matters.

Old April 1st, 2012, 08:22 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Its hard to believe - but I bought these in july of 2009 and they are still running strong. I did have one small problem with them this winter - it was my first winter in Florida and the fuse on the wiring harness had popped out of the casing from all the temperature swings.

Ballasts are going to need to be mounted in your truck somwhere - close to the actual headlights. they are little boxes - around 4"x5x1" (slim will probably be 3/4").

I went and bought all new housings for the HIDs - I'm running anzo projectors. The plastic that covers the headlights is starting to haze from living in Florida and the heat and constant sun. So you might want to go with the smoked housings.

So if your looking to put HIDs in your stock housings (which isn't reccomended - you'll definitely be blinding people) - you'd just get a kit that replaces your stock bulb. If your using a replacement housing - find out what bulb that takes - and get that kit.

Depending on your housings - a bi-xenon means it's two lights - a high beam and a low beam. If you have a separate light for high beam in your current housing - I would leave it as stock. HIDs do not react well to quick on's and off's. I haven't turned on my high beams in years.

Finally - get the wiring harness. I've burned out ballasts (not really burned them - they just went bad) by trying to wire up the HIDs to the stock wires. They are not beefy enough to take on the load requiements of the ballasts/HIDs.
Old April 1st, 2012, 09:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Okey dokey, thank you :)