Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > GARAGE TALK > Garage Talk: Shop Class 101

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old December 12th, 2011, 03:09 PM

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
Default How to Seafoam an engine(1973-1996)

So, I posted a "Seafoam My opinion" in the Maintenance sub-forum and decided I would do a better write-up here, I don't have a can yet but I will take pics of what your supposed to pull and where to pour the Seafoam.

This stuff is $9.99 at O'Reilly's or $8.99 at Wal-Mart.

So to start off, the best way to get this stuff to where it will clean the engine is to pull the hose off of the Brake Booster:

You'll notice that there is a clamp on the hose and that there is a big round black piece of plastic that goes into the Booster, I've found that leaving the hose on the piece of plastic and pulling the whole thing out of the Booster is the best way to do it.

Once the hose is pulled start the truck and VERY slowly pour 1/3 to 1/2 of a can down the hose, the engine should bog down while this is happening and depending upon how dirty the engine is it will smoke out of the tailpipe while your pouring the Seafoam, once just about to how much you decided to pour to pour it fast to try and kill the engine, I've tried this on my Bronco and my Old Blue 79 w/out success, your best bet is to just shut the engine off, re-install the Booster hose. Let it sit, just walk away, go play a game, have a beer, whatever you do when your waiting, you wanna wait at least 30 mins to an hr, the can says 15 mins.

You can now use the rest of the can in the oil or in the tank, once done you can start the truck back up, and once again, depending upon how dirty the engine is, it will smoke thick enough it's like a fog, take it for a spin and if it is smoking to bad don't take it on a busy street or highway, I found w/ my Bronco and F150 that it may not smoke until you really get on the gas, once it is done completely smoking you should notice a difference in performance and maybe even gas mileage.

NOTE- Some people have reported fouled plugs after doing this, so if you wanna do this do it w/ an old set of plugs so you can change them afterwards, I did it and it never fouled out my plugs.

More to come when I use it in the Bronco again.
Old December 12th, 2011, 06:58 PM

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Ken -

Might suggest a more metered approach. You can control the delivery better.

With the warmed up engine at 2000-2500 rpm, open the flow until youve added whats needed. Whatever gunk SeaFoam removes - it is all going out the exhaust via the valves, piston cylinders, sensors and cats.

Use 3/8 tubing into the manifold or from an avaialble vacumm line to inject the SeaFoam evenly with a ball valve ($2) and fuel line hose (usually got some lying around - if not, it's about $1.25 a foot).

Engine vacumm will draw the fluid in right from the can.

BTW, is your master cylnder leaking? Left bolt - under the booster.

What we leave behind are our words and our deeds. Nothing else really matters.

Last edited by HawaiianF150; December 12th, 2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old December 12th, 2011, 07:03 PM

Liked 188 Times in 170 Posts

also the fouling of plugs in a carburated engine is a result of flooding the plug; very common

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

Old December 12th, 2011, 07:09 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Can I add a caveat to this?

I've done it with the stRanger, but there's a small problem. My brake booster hose goes to the back of the intake manifold... Thus, the last 2 cylinders got the seafoam.

Check to see where your brake booster hose connects to the engine.

I'm trying to figure a way on how to introduce seafoam into the intake upstream, before it gets to the throttle body. Maybe I should get me a paint sprayer I can hook up to a compressor to turn it into an aerosol format to introduce it into the system easier.

Double(. Y .)Dee
SSG, TXARNG
OIF III ('05) & OIF VIII ('10)
Least knowledgeable when it comes to the whirly, spinny things.

How To Use The FTC Gallery
Check out the Truck of the Month forum and vote!
2004-2008 F-150 Specific How To's:
VIN Decoder
Gotts Mod - 4.6L (5.4L similar)
Big 3 Upgrade
Seat Removal
Interior Door Disassembly SCrew (RCab/SCab similar)
Interior Trim/Carpet Removal

"Fighting is not handing out cookies, it's gunfire and rockets, and there will be casualties." - Haji Khalifa Mohammad Shah
Old December 12th, 2011, 07:12 PM

the sprayer method would atomize the seafoam to a point that you would not get a high enough ratio of SF to AIR to do any good with the cleaning process

but an excellant idea

also you must remember that each cylinder has its own intake cycle thus all cylinders would injest the SF, reguardless of intake point
case: do the rear and front cylinders not get fuel cause it is dumped in the middle of the manifold

Last edited by JSoko; December 12th, 2011 at 07:15 PM.
Old December 12th, 2011, 07:14 PM

It's probably leaking, I've got a rebuilt one w/ a lifetime warranty in the shed waiting for paint and a F350 booster.

I know of the flooding causing fouling but some were saying that the Seafoam coating the electrode fouled the plugs.
Old December 12th, 2011, 07:18 PM

QUOTE:[Seafoam coating the electrode fouled the plugs.]

yes it flooded it

Old December 12th, 2011, 07:18 PM

And the vac port for the Booster is on the rear of the Manifold also, I was told that it would pull it directly over the heads and would trickle down but IDK, I do have 2 vac ports on the intake directly under the carb, one used for the dist vac advance and one capped off that I've thought of trying, it'll pull it directly over all 8 pistons.
Old December 12th, 2011, 07:19 PM

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

DD

Give the ball valve a thought.

What we leave behind are our words and our deeds. Nothing else really matters.

Old December 12th, 2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_blue79 View Post
And the vac port for the Booster is on the rear of the Manifold also, I was told that it would pull it directly over the heads and would trickle down but IDK, I do have 2 vac ports on the intake directly under the carb, one used for the dist vac advance and one capped off that I've thought of trying, it'll pull it directly over all 8 pistons.
also you must remember that each cylinder has its own intake cycle thus all cylinders would injest the SF, reguardless of intake point
case: do the rear and front cylinders not get fuel cause it is dumped in the middle of the manifold