Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > FORD F-100 | F-150 SERIES > 1948-1983 Ford F100

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old April 18th, 2019, 11:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Gauge issues

Hello, new to the forum. New to me 66 F100, 352, 3 on the tree.
Fuel and temp gauges read full scale. Performed continuity check from fuel sender to gauge. All good. Tested sender with ohm meter. All good. Cleaned grounds. With some searching and googling, I checked the voltage regulator on back of instrument panel. Was getting 12v in and 12v out. Picked up a new regulator (NPD 10 minutes from my house). 12v in, 8v out, gauges still pegged. Am I missing something? I read that the output is sweeping and I am using a digital multimeter. Any guidance on what else I could check would be much appreciated.
Thanks and looking forward to working on this thing!
Old April 19th, 2019, 04:03 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I'm having trouble with my '74 dash as well. Same symptoms. U have gone thru 3 different regulators. Maybe I just keep getting bad ones? I only have a digital multimeter too. This wont help but at least you know someone else is having the same problem
Old April 22nd, 2019, 09:44 AM

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

A descent digital meter should read a "sweeping" voltage as well. I use a $500 Fluke, but I am an electrician by trade. You could get by with a cheaper Ideal meter or Klein even. Just something other then the $20 auto zone deal. If possible, get an aftermarket gauge and hook it up temporary to verify all the circuits are working properly. You can always return it. This could help narrow down where you're exact issue is.
Old June 7th, 2019, 11:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry for not posting and following up. Been working out of town and haven’t had a chance to look into this for a while. Until today...... still have fuel and temp gauge issues after installing a new voltage regulator behind instrument panel. Fuel gauge goes full scale even with sender unplugged and not touching anything. Decided to pull instrument panel to have more access, and now I have lost ALL power. I mean nothing! All fuses are good on fuse panel. Is there a main fuse that could have blown somewhere?? Any assistance would be appreciated so I can continue troubleshooting the other issues.
Old July 21st, 2019, 06:23 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The gauges won't work if you're trying to check the gauges with the cluster removed from the dash until you establish a ground path.. Do this by using a jumper connected between ground circuit on the cluster and the body..
The Following User Likes This Post:
harrison28 (July 22nd, 2019)