Remember Me?
       Join for free!

Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > FORD F-250 | F-350 SERIES | SUPER DUTY > 1948-1986 Ford F250 | F350

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old July 9th, 2013, 02:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default New toy f250 2wd

I got this truck for a steal at an auction. Says its a 77 on the doorjamb i think and its rusty but it drives and is pretty solid yet. I didn't make it home fuel line plugged real bad. 351m an auto and a Dana 60.

So far plans are to get it running and use it as is... And use it for a template for wiring and assembling my 1974 highboy with a bumpside cab project.

Future plans are 4bbl intake and carb for fuel mileage and power. Then Detroit locker and AT tires. If I end up in a better financial situation.... take advantage of 8:1 compression and throw a turbo on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130706_134235_656.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	937   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130707_083340_687.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	938   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130707_083309_562.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	939  
Old July 9th, 2013, 07:38 PM

Liked 31 Times in 28 Posts

Always loved that body style. Think you'll ever fix the rust?

89 F-150 5.0l AOD 2x4, 3.55 LS(+4), Converted to HO Roller, 3g Alt, GT40Ps, Y-pipe, Rerouted PCV, Dual Taurus E-fans, Explorer Injectors, Remote ICM, DIY Cold air, Rubber Vacuum System, Tranny cooler, Remote Tranny filter, Saginaw P\S swap, F350 Brakes, more.

Old July 9th, 2013, 09:51 PM

Liked 36 Times in 34 Posts

i also like that body style i would work on rust after i got it running

click below to see my FTC Gallery

Don't forget those that came before you! Be proud of who you are and where your from.

“No damn man kills me and lives.” Confederate Lieutenant General, Nathan Bedford Forrest

Old July 11th, 2013, 11:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey thanks guys, I really like the way this truck looks too, hoping that I can save it. We will see how tired I get of body work while I do the cab swap on my 74 though, plenty to do there.

I did some more research. I have a 23 axle code which is 3.31 gear ratio Dana 61 axle. I was pretty disappointed by that, will make it MUCH more expensive to do fun stuff with. But it will make sense gas mileage wise.

The engine runs like garbage while its cold and it won't idle. I cleaned up the ignition and have been running the truck every day but it doesn't seem to get better. My highboy doesn't seem to have that problem. I can also hear a sucking noise but haven't found the vac leak yet.

So far, the list to get it going down the road:

Gas tank, gas line and filter gotten in order...

The steel rear gas tank is junk and leaks real bad. There were two plastic side tanks, but they are strapped to rusted out pieces of body sheet metal on the bed up by the cab, and the previous owner quit using them presumably because the body sheet metal rusted out and he lost the drivers side tank (it tore the sheetmetal of the bedside and pooped out). I'll have to repair the passenger side chunk of sheet metal to use the existing plastic side tank, or relocate it somewhere else.

Rebush the front end suspension

The bushings on the radius arm on the drivers side are totally gone. I also think the kingpin is bad on the drivers side, i can rock the wheel back and forth a bit, but it might be bushing play on the radius arm. Anybody know what parts I should replace while I am in there? Looking like I gotta take apart a ton of stuff to get the bushings in. This is why the brakes pulled to one side, lol...

Fix the choke

They converted to a manual choke the way most people would butcher a pig with a lawnmower. They ****ed it up so bad the choke doesn't even work if you have the air cleaner off and try and push it shut. If anyone knows where I can find a theory of operation on this, would be much appreciated. Instead of the temperature spring like my 74 with the 360fe, it has a vacuum actuator and a bunch of stuff I haven't seen before, pretty different than my 1974.

Windshield wipers, oil change, air filter, rearview mirror glued back in.

Should be good to roll after that.
Old July 13th, 2013, 04:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I messed around with the fuel lines some more, cleaned the filter and we still have fuel issues, truck runs like ass and stalls when you move it around, I assume its sucking water from the bad tank. When holding a steady throttle, it misses/coughs sputters. I guess its new fuel tank/sending unit time...

The title is all messed up, I have to pay for the last owner to move the title over to his name, do a power of attourney and then pay to have the title moved to my name... and a bunch of other BS... going to cost $250 to title the damn thing but it should be legit once done. Working with the auctioneer and hopefully the previous owner will "own up" to this and do what he legally should have done in the first place.

I am working on getting a list of parts together and pulling the side tank, maybe i can rig up an alternative mounting system.
Old July 18th, 2013, 11:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The guy who owned the truck before was an absolute peach. He paid his side of getting the title straightened out and was super super nice about it, might have made a friend! LOL! I'll probably get title/plates taken care of this Saturday.

So far parts I'm looking at replacing:

Gas tank, sending unit, fuel filters, fuel lines, shock absorbers, radius arm bushings on both radius arms, lower steering shaft bearings/bushings (these I have to get at LMC truck, everything else is RockAuto).

It will be about $300 total.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 13
ASwaff400 , bikertrash3531 , Booba5185 , Dieselpro , glc , JedCrone , JSoko , KarenP , mrtief , skatebowd , tin man , Tr00b , TwoStroke