Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > GARAGE TALK > Garage Talk: General Tech Talk

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old July 21st, 2010, 07:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Hellwig Front Sway Bar Installation

<p>I had originally received Hellwig'sset of sway bars back in April but finally had time to install just the front recently. I don't claim to be a mechanic or any kind of grease monkey but I decided to do the install myself. This is just to prove that almost anyone can do the install. The way I figure it is, if I can do it, then anyone can.</p>
<p>The vehicle of choice is a 2008 F150 Super Crew FX2 and the sway bars were courtesy of Hellwig Productsthrough Fordtruckclub.net.</p>
<p>The kit consisted of a heavy duty sway bar, end links, clevis brackets, bushings and all the necessary nuts and bolts. For this particular Hellwig part (#7662) on 2006 and newer F150's the factory end links can be re-used if they are still in good shape. All that was used from the complete kit was the sway bar, round U-brackets with bushings and the 4 washers.</p>
<p>First off the factory sway bar had to be removed. Undid the nut on top of the factory end link on both sides.</p>
<p>Removed the factory U-brackets and bushings. The factory bolts stayed in the frame and the factory nuts will be re-used with Hellwig's Sway Bar. Just be careful when removing the factory sway bar, it is a little heavy and you don't want to drop it on anything important, namely your head.</p>
<p>Next you need to line-up the bushings and round U-brackets on the Hellwig Sway Bar close to the factory bolts. Once that is done, raise the sway bar up to the factory bolts and loosely tighten the factory nut with washer back on. You will come back to this later to adjust and tighten.</p>
<p>Place the end of Hellwig's Sway Bar overtop of the factory end links. Put the factory bolt back on and leave loose at this time for adjustment later.</p>
<p>Gradually tightened up all 4 factory bolts holding the sway bar up. Only had minor adjustments to do during this process.</p>
<p>While tightening up the factory end links make sure to keep them as straight as possible. Area was a little tighter to work in swinging the ratchet back and forth but didn't make out to bad with it.</p>
<p>Here's what the end product looks like completely installed. The Hellwig Sway Bar was heavier then the factory one and also thicker. The next step is to take it out for a test drive.</p>
<p>Noticed the steering was little tighter, liked that, and more responsive along with less body roll. Only took it out for a quick drive before coming back and re-tightened all my work. Torqued it to Hellwig's specs and now it's ready to rip.</p>
<p>All told it took me about a hour and a half to do but I'm sure it would be a lot quicker if I had a set of wheel ramps to put the truck on. Not to mention the pictures I was taking along the way and the constant water breaks (next time note to self to do intalls on a cooler day).</p>
<p>Hellwig recommends not to lift the truck by the frame for the install, hence the wheel ramps would of worked nice instead of squeezing under the truck from each side. Now that the front sway bar is in I can't wait to install the rear. For all you do-it-yourself mechanic guys, this install will be a breeze. I already like the difference in the handling and the way my truck drives with Hellwig's Front Sway Bar over the factory.</p>
<p>To discuss this blog entry click [HERE]&lt;/p&gt;</p>