Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > ALL OTHER FORD MODELS > Ford Excursion

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old March 2nd, 2016, 11:24 AM

Liked 112 Times in 108 Posts

Quote:
I thought the engine was a 302 disguised as a 351
You must be thinking of his truck. The Excursion has a modular V10.

2003 F-150 XL RCSB 2wd 4.2 5 speed 3.55 LS
Old March 2nd, 2016, 01:06 PM

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

correct, 302 is in the 91 f150. i did use anti sieze,...had never heard other wise. but i know now for the future. the last plug on the passenger side is next to impossible to get to. what i'm getting at, is there a ratio or formula for torque when you have a couple of extensions and a swivel in line? i thought about trying to get a torque wrench on it, but wasn't sure where i would really end up at.
Old March 11th, 2016, 12:42 PM

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

can someone explain to me why every 18 months to 2 years i have to replace the driver's side front caliper? it started sticking again yesterday. checked the line and all is good. getting good at changing them though,...only took 2 hours to remove the bad one, drive to the part's store, come home and re-install the new one and bleed the system. works like a charm.
Old May 20th, 2016, 10:15 AM

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

Did some heavier digging,...found out why I'm having caliper issues occasionally. Brake lines!!!! Yesterday evening the wife was out tooling around and the right caliper was starting to hang up. Thankfully Oreilly's had the lines for both sides in stock, and they're open until 10 pm. So at 10 last night, I'm doing brake lines in the rain,....so she and her sisters can go on their weekend road trip. That should be worth missing a day of work to go play golf. I just might make Memorial Day weekend 4 days instead of 3!
Old May 20th, 2016, 10:25 AM

Liked 187 Times in 169 Posts

what did brake lines have to do with it ?

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

Old May 20th, 2016, 10:49 AM

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

It was explained that the brake lines are a tube inside of a tube and that the inner line breaks down and will collapse sometimes, not allowing fluid to move back and forth.
Old May 20th, 2016, 11:02 AM

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

As far as my source,..we have a diesel shop in town that prefers working on Fords. I noticed he had all the Ford certifications on his office wall. But I have been lied to before. I questioned him about the caliper issue when I was having an axle seal replaced at his shop and he explained it to me. He was also saying that calipers constantly going bad is not something that happens. I've replaced the driver side 3 times and the passenger side once. I guess opening up the system during the repair and bleeding it afterwards was buying time until it happened again. If this doesn't line up with anything you guys have seen or dealt with, please straighten me out. Brakes that function properly are sort of important to me. So far so good on the line replacement though,...she's half way across the state already with no troubles.
Old July 27th, 2016, 10:43 AM

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

Here's a new to me,...not that I'm the most seasoned dirt drive mechanic. the wife was out riding around, and the truck shut off at a traffic light. It started right back up, but the check engine light stayed on. When she got it back home, I pulled the codes. 2 codes for the Vehicle Speed Sensor and 1 that says intermittent on the Output Shaft Sensor. Along with a misfire on cyl. 6. The picture attached is of the VSS at the rearend. That seems like alot of shavings,...but not too bad for 217k miles. I found people that had worse and were changing this out at 40k. I pulled the connector on the OSS and put some dielectric grease in it. Seems t be holding so far as the engine light has not come back on. New coil pack on cyl. 6 and down the road we go. I must say that the best $300 I've spent since I've owned this thing has been the Hyper Tech tuner that I bought when i got the truck. Being able to read your own codes and clear them in your own driveway is nice.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VSS.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	1241  
Old May 30th, 2017, 02:00 PM

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

Well fellas,..it's time. It's time to decide if she's getting a new motor or if it's more cost effective to just do heads and such. Pulled the radiator cap to check the coolant. Noticed it was real nasty. Figured, it's time to flush and change the coolant. So I did. Decided to check it the next day to make sure the level was good,.. nasty again. Flushed it one more time. Checked it again the next day. Same crap. Looks to me like the head gaskets are allowing oil into the cooling system. I know usually it's the other way around. But @ 227k miles, it's time to have some work done. Gonna drop it off at the shop this weekend and see what the guy says would be best. He uses Jasper engines because of the warranty. I'll see what he says.
Old June 5th, 2017, 12:15 PM

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

Looks like the old girl is gonna be in the back yard for a while. Out the door $$ is about $7,200 to get a replacement motor installed. With needing a few other things done to bring it back to being reliable,...I'm looking at closer to $8k. Found a nice deep impact blue ford edge for just under $14k. The wife drove it Saturday and loved it. So it looks like in a day or 2,....we'll be adding to the collection. Gonna keep the beast for a while. body still looks really good and the transmission is still real smooth.

« just bought an ex | There is no next thread »