Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > FORD F-100 | F-150 SERIES > 1973-1991 Ford F150

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old August 29th, 2012, 07:05 PM

Liked 31 Times in 28 Posts
Default Future MAF Swap

Hey guys, This will be in quite awhile, so no one get your hopes up yet. I think I've reached the point where I need a MAF setup in order to really see the benefits of what I've done. For those that don't know, I have a HO roller cam advanced 4 degrees, GT40Ps that I refreshed myself, Explorer injectors, DIY CAI (will be an FIPK soon), and Mustang headers with a custom Y-pipe along with the rest of the exhaust. Like I said, this wont be happening for awhile, so for now, this thread is for planning. Here's the parts I figure I will need:

A Stock MAF sensor (from a MAF truck 1994-1996)
MAF and IAT sensor wiring
Either a plug for the ACT sensor on the intake manifold or a new IAT sensor for the airbox, as the MAF trucks have this sensor on the airbox and SD truck have it on the intake.
An ECU from a 5-Speed 302 Truck or Bronco(1994-1995).

Thats it for parts that I know of, for a few reasons. I'm going to be getting an FIPK that is designed for a SD truck, so we'll see if I can't mod it to accept the MAF ACT sensor. From the looks of it, I think it is possible.

Also, a Mustang ECU from a 302\5-Speed would work, except for the fact that has a seperate circuit to monitor the fuel pumps. I can still work with that, but a more simple conversion would be a truck\Bronco ECU.

As far as wiring, it really doesn't look all that hard, I think I could have this done in a weekend, taking my time soldering every connection, etc.

I picked this information up from another thread, so I'll be putting it to the test on my truck:
Quote:
Maf Wiring
ABCD output
A - splice into pin 37. Its reference voltage and needs to be tapped into
B - splice into pin 40 or 60 of the ecu. its ground
C - add pin 9 of ecu
D - add pin 50 of ecu

Now for the major wiring of the ecu and pins to move.
truck pin 8 to pin 19 of mustang ecu
truck pin 11 to mustang 32
truck pin 51 to mustang 38
add pin 12 for injector 3 ground
add pin 13 for injector 4 ground
add pin 14 for injector 5 ground
add pin 15 for injector 6 ground
add pin 42 for injector 7 ground
add pin 52 for injector 8 ground
splice pin 29 and 43 together for hego. I didn't feel like adding a second o2 sensor right now since i did this mass air swap on a whim so i split the signal from pin 43 into pin 29. When i feel like modifying my exhaust and moving the o2 sensors into each bank i can run the signal return from the new left o2 to the pinout from 29.

Injectors 1 and 2 pinouts are correct. What i actually did was bought some high temp wiring in 6 different colors ran it in loom to the factory injector harness. I cut the ground wires for all injectors except injector 1 and 2 leaving enough room to solder new wire in.
Here's some pics of the stock wiring, this is of a 351, so it lacks the knock sensor, but other than that its pretty close to what I have:

ECU pinout:

It looks complicated, but it's mostly just rewiring from what I can see, and I'm pretty good at that stuff. ANyone have any of these parts layin around that they don't need? I'll be junkyarding for most of it, but if anyone has somethin I need for the swap, let me know.

89 F-150 5.0l AOD 2x4, 3.55 LS(+4), Converted to HO Roller, 3g Alt, GT40Ps, Y-pipe, Rerouted PCV, Dual Taurus E-fans, Explorer Injectors, Remote ICM, DIY Cold air, Rubber Vacuum System, Tranny cooler, Remote Tranny filter, Saginaw P\S swap, F350 Brakes, more.

Last edited by Booba5185; November 15th, 2012 at 09:19 AM.
Old August 29th, 2012, 09:00 PM

Liked 187 Times in 169 Posts

wow, I'll stick with a Holly 4bbl and MSD 6AL Ignition Box with MSD 868 Iginition Adjustable Timing Control and 12 wires

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

Old August 29th, 2012, 09:04 PM

To each their own, MAF adjusts to the way an engine is performing on its own and provides the best mileage and power. I grew up working on computers and electronics, so wiring is a second nature to me. MAF is one of the main reasons that Biker's F150 can get damn near 20 MPG with a stock motor. He advanced his timing, that is the only mod he has done.

89 F-150 5.0l AOD 2x4, 3.55 LS(+4), Converted to HO Roller, 3g Alt, GT40Ps, Y-pipe, Rerouted PCV, Dual Taurus E-fans, Explorer Injectors, Remote ICM, DIY Cold air, Rubber Vacuum System, Tranny cooler, Remote Tranny filter, Saginaw P\S swap, F350 Brakes, more.

Old August 29th, 2012, 09:52 PM

Liked 187 Times in 169 Posts

your first 4 words above sum it all up, my friend

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

Old August 29th, 2012, 10:01 PM

One problem this MAF swap will hopefully fix is what happens when I disconnect my battery for whatever reason. Recently when I did my PMGR swap I had to disconnect my batteries and remove them to get to my fender mounted starter relay. Well up until recently (a day or so ago) the SD setup that is currently on the truck was just as stupid as it was when I first did the HO roller swap. I'd start the truck, it'd fire right up then almost die. Then it's catch itself and bring the rpm up to ~1300, then fluctuate from 1500-500rpm until I put it in gear. Then it'd be fine from then on out. Annoying to say the least.

For those don't know what the idea behind this swap is, here's a little info on it. It all hs to do with how the computer figures out how much air is going into the engine. On a Speed Density system, this is accomplished with a MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor. It detects how much vacuum the engine is creating, and the computer basically says "I have X amount of vacuum, so that must mean that the engine is bringing in X amount of air." Since the computer thinks it knows how much air is coming in the engine, it sets up the air\fuel ratios based on that number. On a stock or somewhat stock engine, this works fine.

With a Mass-Air system, the computer utilizes a MAF (Mass-Air Flow) sensor to determine how much air is being sucked in by the engine. The MAF sensor is mount on the air intake tube, so it detects exactly how much air is being sucked into the engine, all the time. This enables the computer to adpat to the way an engine is running in realtime.

In my case, I have an HO cam, with GT40P heads, which both allow a LOT more air to be flowing both in and out of the motor. My SD system doesn't see this at all, it only sees how much vacuum the engine is creating and goes from there, so I'm not experiencing the full benefit of my upgrades, both in power and mileage.

Another benefit of this setup is the fact that my fuel injectors will be fired by themselves, or one at a time. On a Speed Density setup, they are fired in batches; injectors 1,4,5, and 8 fire at once, and 2,3,6,and 7 fire at once.

Old August 30th, 2012, 09:17 PM

So there's a little bit of development on this, well, potentially. A friend of mine's dad knows a guy that owns a salvage yard about 30 minutes away, and in the past when my friend needed a transmission, the owner let him work it off instead of paying for it. He pulled the transmission he would be keeping, and 2 other transmissions, that was it. My friend is trying to talk to said owner to see if he might possibly do the same with my MAF stuff. Cool thing is I have 2 friends that wanna help me with whatever work we'd have to do, and these are my 2 gearhead friends, so it wouldn't take long to do whatever the owner would have us do at all. If this ends up happening, I'll be getting the FULL engine harness, the 2 sensors I need, the complete air intake setup, and hopfully the ECM. This would make the easiest swap, because 99% of the swap would be a complete drop in, almost no wiring modifications required. I should find out tonight at work if it's going to happen at night, but here's hoping.

Old August 30th, 2012, 10:42 PM

Liked 36 Times in 34 Posts

Goodluck!

click below to see my FTC Gallery

Don't forget those that came before you! Be proud of who you are and where your from.

“No damn man kills me and lives.” Confederate Lieutenant General, Nathan Bedford Forrest

Old September 14th, 2012, 12:28 AM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Booba I am interested in doing this too. But unlike you I am not good at wiring but I am willing to throw tools at whoever helps me LOL

1998 Expedition 5.4, 194 led light bulbs for the running boards.
Old September 14th, 2012, 12:45 AM

After I do mine and work the kinks out, I'd love to do yours. Looks like the deal where I work off the parts fell threw, so I'll have to pay for everything, lol, shucks. My local junkyard has the parts I need, minus the ECM and he'll sell it to me for $50. Problem is he only has the one setup. The only other junkyard that I have seen that has one wants $200 for the same stuff (no ECM). I haven't called any in SPringfield yet, because I already know it'll be too expensive.

On the plus side, I got to know the owner fo the junkyard I went to pretty well and he's gonna be hunting for a 5-Speed MAF truck or 2. I also told him I moderated a site dedicated to Fords (which is all he has for the most part) so if anyone needs parts, PM me and I can try to find out if he has it. I know he had a BUNCH of exploders, and a CRAPTON of 87-91s.

Old September 14th, 2012, 12:49 AM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

We have 2 yards here And I will be looking in OKC. In Tulsa there is LKQ and Mid Western.

1998 Expedition 5.4, 194 led light bulbs for the running boards.