Quantcast 1998 NASCAR Special Edition Sp. Ed. F-150 info and Q&A - Ford Truck Club Forum

Home

Forum

Gallery

Garage

Blog

Arcade

Settings

TOTM

Vote

Remember Me?
       Join for free!

Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > FORD F-100 | F-150 SERIES > More Special Edition F150's

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old July 16th, 2009, 10:17 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 1998 NASCAR Special Edition Sp. Ed. F-150 info and Q&A

What makes a NASCAR truck?

* 1998 F-150 regular cab, short box, 2 wheel drive
* 4.6L V8 engine (stock F-150 engine) with FOU1 computer code
* Black paint with special NASCAR graphics on the box sides and tailgate
* Grey interior with NASCAR embroidery on the seat backs and floor mats
* Special mesh grill
* Goodyear A/S tires with yellow-lettering
* Special 16" x 7" 10-spoke black aluminum wheels
* The truck was lowered 1 inch
* Dual stainless steel Roush exhaust tips
* Roush front air dam

Questions & Answers about the NASCAR F-150

Thanks to Ford Motor Company for providing us with an exclusive interview with the people involved in creating this beautiful truck.

Q: How many were produced?
A: 3,000 in total. Order code 94N

Q: Why was it produced?
A: First year of Ford’s 5-year contractual status as “official truck of NASCAR” coincided with NASCAR’s 50th anniversary… F-150 team members felt this was significant enough to warrant a special vehicle. Went from concept to production in only 17 weeks… an extremely short time for this sort of thing.

Q: Was the truck available at all dealers or just select dealers?
A: The truck was a regional rather than national package, available mainly in Ford’s southeastern Regions (areas where NASCAR is big).

Q: What plant was the truck built at (or was it outfitted by Roush after it rolled off the assembly line)?
A: It was built only at Norfolk Assembly Plant. Roush was only a parts supplier.

Q: I've seen photos on the Internet of an alleged 1999 NASCAR truck. Was an official NASCAR truck produced in 1999?
A: Nothing factory built in 1999. Many appearance items (such as the NASCAR tape stripe on some ’99 models) are Regional or dealer modifications designed to help move metal. Neither manufacturing nor Sales & Marketing keeps records on these “one-offs.”

Q: These trucks all seem to be pretty much identical. What options were available?
A: Really considered a non-option package. XL trim/120-inch wheelbase/4.6L only. With only 3000 planned, manufacturing must limit build types. Did have choice of 5-speed manual or automatic tranny. Five other options were available, including tonneau. Interesting story: the tonneau was originally planned as 1999MY option. A decision was made to pull it ahead.

Q: What were the specifications of the NASCAR F150? Were they different from a stock F-150?
A: HP/torque same as 4.6L specs; Unique 3.73 axle ratio; 2,000-lb. towing capacity. However, a new FOU1 computer code was created to account for the unique exhaust tip (& associated backpressure).

Q: Did the NASCAR partnership continue? Are there plans for another NASCAR F-Series truck?
A: 2003 is the final year of the existing five-year agreement with NASCAR. Currently no plans to produce another special package.

Q: I’ve seen at least one truck with polished rims. Were all the rims black?
A: All rims left the factory black. Typically, as sales of special vehicles slow, dealers will undo or modify units to attract buyers. The polished rims may fall into this category or some owner stripped/ shotblasted them.

Q: Was a unique production number stamped on the dash or anywhere else?
A: No unique number. No special plaque. Unfortunately the VIN system doesn’t incorporate this type of Order Code either. Nor were they built sequentially, so it would be impossible to identify NASCAR F-150s by VIN. Originally window sticker would indicate 94N.

Q: Early on before production, was the 5.4L V8 considered to be put in these trucks, but was decided against in the end?
A: Would have liked the power, but it was not really considered. 5.4 & tranny was in too heavy demand at the time.

Q: Did Ford or Roush supply the suspension parts for the trucks?
A: Roush prototype had their stuff used to lower; production all used regular Ford supplier stuff.

Q: Is there anything different about the exhaust system other than the Roush tip?
A: No. An interesting thing though -- the prototype truck had the exhaust exiting in front of the rear wheel, but all production units had the exhaust exiting behind the rear wheel.

Q: From what model truck was the 'diamond' grill taken from?
A: The grille insert was taken from the XLT model.

Proud owner of 1998 Ford NASCAR Sp. Ed. F-150
(Celebrates 50th Anniversary of NASCAR and the F-series truck)

Last edited by 98nascartruck; July 26th, 2010 at 08:26 AM.
Old July 19th, 2009, 09:03 AM

Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts

It is a very sharp looking truck! Thanks for sharing the info. I have never seen one in person and would love to!

Old July 19th, 2009, 06:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yea, thanks for sharing the info!

Old August 24th, 2009, 10:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

man i learn something new everytime i get on here! lol

1966 F100 Shortbed, 281 Cammer with a 5 speed (still in the works :S) My first set of wheels!
1969 Ford Mustang Grande/GT Coupe, 331 Stroker, C4, low 12 Street/Strip grocery getter, Mommas first set of wheels
Old August 25th, 2009, 01:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just incase anyone is wondering how a Canadian got one of these trucks!!! My dad worked for Ford and when I was really young he got transfered to Kentucky and thats how I ended up with one of these trucks. These trucks were only offered in about 16 states(I believe)

Old August 26th, 2009, 12:59 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I wasn't wondering, but thanks for sharing!

didn't realize they were that limited. lucky you!

Big T

Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

Old August 27th, 2009, 08:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There might be few people thinking where a Canadian got a hold of one of these trucks!!!!

Old August 28th, 2009, 12:22 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Big T

Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.