Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > FORD F-100 | F-150 SERIES > 1992-1996 Ford F150

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old April 21st, 2014, 04:10 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default inner lock nut probs

decided to replace the u joints on the TTB today. hub assembly came out no problem. the last thing preventing me from getting the rotor off is the last 4 prong lock nut. its a smaller size than the outer lock nut but no one seems to know what size socket i need. i can get it to turn 2-3 revolutions with the bigger socket and then it just stops. period. am i missing something? does it unscrew allllllll the way out of the hub? about to throw in the towel. its like this on both sides
Old April 21st, 2014, 10:05 AM

Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts

Do you have a picture of the locknut you're talking about?
Have you been using a socket like this?

You should be able to loosen up all lock nuts with this then just slide the rotor/hub off the spindle

1990 F150XLTLariat. 300I6. ZF. BDS. 36x16.5x15FC. SAS under construction.

How to: FTC Gallery.

How to: Brick steering column.
How to: Wiper motor removal.
Shop Class 101.
Door Tag Codes.
Old April 21st, 2014, 01:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yea that's exactly what im talking about. that socket fit perfectly for everything. EXCEPT the the inner most lock nut that holds the rotor on. the same socket is too wide for the that last nut. i kinda jimmy rigged it on there (only catching 3 of the prongs) the nut will begin to loosen. but after 2-3 revolutions, its seizes up. that why im wondering what is the correct size socket is for the inner nut, and WHY its stopping. and when i say it stops, i mean it stops with me standing on the breaker bar
Old April 21st, 2014, 05:02 PM

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts

That's weird, I've pulled a generic one off the shelf and it's fit on every ford 4x4 I've worked on..

Is the threads clean? Look like they've been heated super hot and cooled?
Old April 28th, 2014, 02:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i mean the grease in there looks pretty black and all ofcourse. but nothing looks super bad. my problem is that the 4 prong socket that fit into the slots perfectly on the out most nut, is so big for the inner most nut that it can only grab 2 out of the 4 prongs on the nut. i even took the truck to the dealership to show them and they said they had no idea. wonderful.
Old April 28th, 2014, 09:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It may just need more force. I know that when I replaced my stock rotors for dimpled and slotted I had to take off, it was a bitch. It took a ridiculous amount of force to get it off and when I trightened it back on, I had to torque it to 214 ft/bls. I would try to use more force. What size socket are you using now?
Old April 29th, 2014, 02:27 PM

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts

I understand what's he saying. Sounds like someone installed a lock nut that is the same thread size as the spindle threads, but it's smaller than stock. Only way I can think to get it off is take your time trying to break it loose with the socket, otherwise, you'll have to make a socket by hand, not hard, just time consuming.
Old August 13th, 2014, 10:26 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Agreed, sounds like someone used the wrong nut, though I don't know from what.

Correct on the second nut (the outer one) gets torqued very high. That could have compromised the spindle threads.

More likely is some of the spindle threads got buggered up when they pounded on it to get it out of the knuckle. You are just going to have to fight that nut off. I assume you have removed with the flat washer with the four teeth on the outside and the holes in the flat side that faces the inner nut? Or maybe there is a different style of washer still in there?

I'm a picture person….can you snap one?

This is what if should have looked like before you removed the first nut…

With the outer nut and the washer removed, the second nut should look identical to the first, except the second nut has a small pin on the flat surface. You can see it here at about the 11 o'clock position:

96 F250 4x4 PSD auto CCSB
D60 axle swap with F350 front springs
SD (B code) rear springs and 4" factory F350 blocks
Explorer grab handles
Remote door locks work with engine running mod.
Link to my D60 refurb and OBS swap thread
Link to my OBS air vent R&R thread

Last edited by leojr; August 13th, 2014 at 10:31 AM.