Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > THE LOUNGE > General Discussion

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old February 21st, 2014, 04:02 PM

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts

Here's what I've been working on for a little while, I liked the wood stocks that was on my Enfield when I bought it, but hated them for the fact that someone fudged them up so bad I had use cardstock to tighten the forend wood down securely. The buttstock had a rubber recoil pad that was glued on, the screwed into place, ask me how I found that one out...

So, a guy I got to talking to on a Milsurp site recommended the ATI Synthetic Stock set and ATI Scope Mount. When I got my taxes back from the Gubment, I purchased an ATI Dark Earth Brown(kinda like Flat Dark Earth) on Ebay for $64, then purchased the T-6061 Military Type III Aluminum scope mount on Ebay for $36, the Weaver Quad Lock 1" Rings were $15 at Walmart, the Tasco 3-9x40mm was free, it came on the Savage 110E 7mmRM I traded for, and the Razorback sling was $15. The only thing left to do to my Enfield is to take the rifle to a local gunsmith and have it Shot Blasted and Matte Blued for $150 or do it myself and use Brownell's Oxpho Blue and sand the barrel and use the Rust Blue for $52.

Pics when I get back.
Old February 21st, 2014, 04:07 PM

Liked 185 Times in 167 Posts

Brownell's, makes a good product

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

Old February 21st, 2014, 06:11 PM

So, here's what I started with, the original Beechwood Stocks that came on the Long Branch Arsenal rifles:

Under the butt plate there is a hole all the way through the butt stock, the butt stock is affixed to the rifle by a big Flathead bolt, you'll either need one long screwdriver or a Ratchet, 10" extension, 1/4" socket and a flathead bit in the end of the socket to loosen it and tighten the new ATI buttstock on.

This what the ATI stock comes in, a nice box that is padded on the inside:

Make sure you order it for the proper rifle, as they also make this for the No1 rifles as well!

Here it is after the stock was installed:

This is the Scope Mount box, it's a nice scope mount, made of T-6061 Military Type III Aluminum:

Both the Stock set and Mount are covered by a Lifetime Warranty. One thing about the Buttstock on this set, the buttpad doesn't properly line up with the buttstock, that's the only thing I hate about it, but I'm pretty sure if you installed a Rubber slide on buttpad you wouldn't even notice it.

Here she is after I installed the scope mount, you have to take off the rear sight to install the mount, no big deal for me cause the only sight my rifle had was a rear Battle Sight, no adjustable Ladder sight.

I did discover you cannot take the bolt out of the rifle with the mount attached to the receiver, the bolt head hits the bottom rear of the mount.

It's a Weaver Rail:

The rings installed:

And this was last night, took the Cheap Tasco 3-9x40mm off of my Savage 110E 7mmRM and installed it on my Enfield, then set my FOV and boresighted it:

The Bi-Pod won't be used on this rifle, the Enfield is gonna be used both for Hog Hunting and Deer hunting, as will the 7mmRM and 7mm-08.

The 7mmRM Savage 110E is gonna get either a Redfield scope or a Nikon Scope, haven't decided yet..
Old February 21st, 2014, 08:14 PM

This rifle my father bought new in 1974 for $125, it's a Remington 700 ADL .270 Winchester, the Scope is as old as the Rifle, it's a Tasco 3-9x40mm with what's called a Stadia Reticle, it has Dual Crosshairs, the Magnifier also has yardage numbers so basically it acts as a Bullet Drop Compensator. He's carried this since he bought it new for deer hunting and yesterday decided he'd give it to my little brother as an early 18th birthday present(March 14), so in a sense he passed it down. Looks like new and functions like new, the action is smooth as SILK, smoother than all the rifles I own, course my Enfield has been used forever, and the 110E and my BDL haven't been used much.

And then this is my New Haven 740T, it's made by Mossberg(Basically a cheaper version of the 640T/640K Chuckster) .22WMR, my grandfather bought it new back in the 60's, it still fires and functions like new, and I finally found out how to take the bolt out of it and how to take it apart last year, you should've seen the crud in the bolt body, looked like 40yrs build up of Suit, no wonder it was always having problems firing rounds....

It's got it's original Gibson brand 4x32mm scope on it, still works, and it's a Tack Driver:

Had a couple fliers but that was cause I didn't take the time between the 5 string shots to let the barrel cool.
Old February 21st, 2014, 09:06 PM

the bi-pod has sure been getting a work out

Old February 21st, 2014, 10:12 PM

Yeah, makes it easier to take pictures of the rifles, I'll eventually put it on the 700 BDL Deluxe and leave it there.
Old February 25th, 2014, 05:49 PM

Done refinishing the stock on the 110, when I got it someone had refinished it and didn't cure the clear coat properly, so it was tacky, wound up having to strip the stock using 320 grit sandpaper and 0000 steel wool, stained it Red Mahogany, let the stain dry 15hrs, buffed it with the steel wool, wiped it down with a clean rag, then applied first coat of clear. I let the first coat dry 4.5hrs, buffed it with the steel wool, wiped it down again, then applied second coat of clear, cured it in hanging in a heated room for 24hrs, then buffed very lightly with the steel wool again, just to make it a Matte shine since I used Semi Gloss and in case I had a few over runs with the clear. I think it came out pretty good if I do say so myself:

Old February 25th, 2014, 09:24 PM

don't know what it is but when i go to this thread
it takes forever to show up, I usually take a nap then come back
either due to the amount of pics you post or there size
it only happens on the pages with your photos
I'll be skipping this one for awhile

anyone else have to wait for the page to load

PS: nice finish
back in the day we would start with unfinished or striped & cleaned wood and rub in by hand linseed oil (using your palm and the oil, no rags or gloves), this gave a fantastic finish comparable to antiques (look at the finish on an old M1 Garand)
on leather we used saddle soap followed by neetsfoot oil

Last edited by JSoko; February 25th, 2014 at 09:28 PM.
Old March 28th, 2014, 02:25 PM

Probably because the pictures are 3000x2250 Pixels.

I've started resizing them, these are 1024x768.

This is my 1976 Ruger Security Six "American Bicentennial" .357 Magnum/.38 Special, 6" Barrel, Original Wood Ruger grips, has the "Made in the 200th Year of American Liberty" on the frame:

Also, little brother inherited the Savage 110E 7mm Magnum, I have a Brand New Savage Model 11 Trophy Hunter XP .308 Winchester/7.62 NATO in layaway. The XP has a Nikon 3-9x40mm BDC Scope on it from the factory as well as the Accutrigger, 20" Barrel, it's a youth model but fits me damned good, I don't have way long arms, lever actions and carbine's like the Mosin I had fit my frame pretty good. It's his first Savage so he'll get to see how accurate they really are!
Old April 9th, 2014, 10:20 PM

My birthday gift today, Brand New Para Ordnance 14.45 1911. It's a Double Stack 14+1 round 1911, Match Barrel, Beavertail Grip Safety, Extended Slide Stop, Extended Magazine Release, Green Fiberoptic Front Sight, Stainless Steel Slide and Barrel, Match Trigger, Skeletonized Trigger and Hammer, .45ACP

Scratched the slide a bit, you can tell in the third picture, common on these Para's cause the Slide Stop is a bitch to get back in, it's not like a normal 1911, I got that one down pat to stop the idiot scratch by the trigger guard.

Anyway, cost was $820, dad traded my Revolver and another POS Taurus 1911 he bought, got this for me as my 21st Birthday present, registered it in my name.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 40
975.4 , adamfx4 , AllenDKull , ASwaff400 , AWALLDD22 , BigBlue79 , BigT67 , bikertrash3531 , Booba5185 , catmechanic07 , Cowboy-Kris , CrazyD , DIXIE FIX , DoubleDee , F150trucker , fightlife1437 , Ford-f250 , gale9193 , gtstang , HawaiianF150 , IrishKRO , Joe'Bronco , JSoko , KeithFoult , Klitch , musick225 , nine5flareside , pete59edsel , Raleigh , Ridgerunner , Russo2 , Shade , skatebowd , SSDconvert , The Frankster , tjdinmaine , TSSTEELEII , TwoStroke , tylerbotts , whitesleeper