Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > GARAGE TALK > Garage Talk: General Tech Talk

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old August 3rd, 2012, 08:01 PM

Liked 36 Times in 30 Posts
Default Official Engine Additives Thread

I have never seen a list of the some of the more "popular" engine additives and what they are made of. So, I'm doing the research and will post general info on each additive that i come across. I know many people are quick to call this stuff "snake oil" but i figured that if all the info was in one place it would let the individual decide what is best for his/her truck. From what i have seen so far, most of the ingredients in these "tune ups in a can" are already present in most of our gasoline already. To start with here are some of the more commonly used products.

Product: Marvel Mystery Oil
Manufacture: Turtle Wax

Claims: Lubricates the entire fuel system-fuel pumps, fuel injectors or carburetors and the top portion of the cylinders. Extends the life of these vital components by providing them with lubrication that fuel alone does not provide. Reduces and prevents varnish and gum build-up. Extends Spark Plug life. Improves fuel mileage by reducing internal friction in the engine.

Ingredients: Dichlorobenzene 0 - 5%
Fine White Mineral Oil 70 - 100%
Mineral Spirits 20 - 30%

Dose: 4 ounces for every 10 gallons of fuel.

Product: Sea Foam Motor Treatment
Manufacture: Sea Foam Sales Company

Claims: Fuel, Lubricates upper cylinders, fuel pumps, turbochargers, drawn-through super chargers, and related fuel system and exhaust system components. Helps clean gum & varnish fuel residues from fuel system components. Clean deposits from combustion chambers. Stabilize fuel for up to two years.

Oil, Safely and slowly re-liquefy old oil residue. Cleaning

Ingredients:PaleOil 40 - 60%
Naphtha 25 - 35%
Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) 10 - 20%

Dose: Fuel, 1oz per gallon of fuel Diesel or Gas
2oz per gallon of E85
Oil, 1.5 oz per quart

Product: B-12 Chemtool® Carburetor, Fuel System and Injector Cleaner
Manufacture: Berryman Products

Claims: Quickly dissolves petroleum residue and disperses moisture from fuel system, fuel injectors, valves,rings and pistons with High Energy Solvent Technology (H.E.S.T.). Regular use ensures higher compression, fewer repairs, lower operating costs and increased spark plug and injector life.
Catalytic converter and oxygen sensor safe.

Ingredients:Acetone 20-30%
2-Butoxyethanol <5%
Isopropyl Alcohol <5%
Methanol 20-30%
Methyl Ethyl Ketone <5%
Toluene 40-50%
Dose: Not specified. Assuming one bottle per oil change.

Product: STP Complete Fuel System Cleaner
Manufacture: The Clorox Company

Claims: helps clean entire fuel system to restore its optimum operating condition. The advanced formula helps clean fuel injectors, carburetors, intake valves and ports, combustion chambers, cylinder heads and piston tops. Contains jet fuel, a high-quality carrier of active ingredients. Restore lost power and acceleration. Reduce hard starts and engine hesitation. Stop knock and ping

Ingredients:Napthalene 21-42%
Trimethylbenzene 3-8%
HydrodesulferizedKerosine 60-80%

Dose: One can every 4000 miles or every oil change

Product: Lucas Fuel Injector Cleaner
Manufacture: Lucas Oil Products

Claims: Complies with the federal low sulfur content requirements for use in diesel motor vehicles.A powerful blend of oils and additives that contain no solvents. Designed to increase power and fuel mileage and also lower exhaust emissions through a more complete combustion. Replaces the benefits of lead in gasoline without causing harmful emissions. Use it to pass smog tests. Totally neutralizes the harmful effects of low sulfur diesel fuel. A great tune-up in a bottle. Cleans and lubricates the fuel system. Neutralizes low sulfur fuel problems. Increases power and miles per gallon by burning excess exhaust emissions. Increases the life of pumps and injectors.

Ingredients: Hydrotreated Heavy Paraffinic Distillates <90%

Dose: 2-3 oz per 10 gallons of fuel.

That pretty much covers the most common products out there. I will do more later.

1994 F150 XLT ExCab SB 306, 4R70w, 8.8 3.55 open, MSD StreetFire coil, Taylor Siro Pro wires, MSD cap and rotor, 1.72 Roller Rockers, 2º cam advance w/ Cloyes Street True Roller timing set, Flat top Hyperutectic pistons, Flowtech Long Tube headers, Xpipe, High flow Magnaflow converters, Spintech XL Sportsman DIDO muffler.

Last edited by bikertrash3531; August 3rd, 2012 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Added pics
Old August 3rd, 2012, 09:24 PM

Liked 187 Times in 169 Posts

about the only additive that I have seen results from is Bardal Top Oil
we have used it years ago to free up lifters
now days its probably been watered down to meet some reg

also a firm beliver in Marval Mystery Oil

but now that I see the ingredents not much of a mystery in fact makes me wonder if it was actually doing anything; have only used it for engings that sit up, pour it in the cylinders and turn engine over then add a little more

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

Old August 3rd, 2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSoko View Post
about the only additive that I have seen results from is Bardal Top Oil
we have used it years ago to free up lifters
now days its probably been watered down to meet some reg

also a firm beliver in Marval Mystery Oil

but now that I see the ingredents not much of a mystery in fact makes me wonder if it was actually doing anything; have only used it for engings that sit up, pour it in the cylinders and turn engine over then add a little more
Like you said, back in the day MMO might have been great stuff before some reg killed its effectiveness. I have heard the same about BG44k. Personally, the only things i use regularly is Lucas Products, and Sea Foam. I have been using Techron here as of late, and i think im getting benefit from it.

1994 F150 XLT ExCab SB 306, 4R70w, 8.8 3.55 open, MSD StreetFire coil, Taylor Siro Pro wires, MSD cap and rotor, 1.72 Roller Rockers, 2º cam advance w/ Cloyes Street True Roller timing set, Flat top Hyperutectic pistons, Flowtech Long Tube headers, Xpipe, High flow Magnaflow converters, Spintech XL Sportsman DIDO muffler.

Old August 3rd, 2012, 10:03 PM

I filled up with Chevron today because of that
2 cents more than Quick Trip

Old August 3rd, 2012, 10:14 PM

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts

I've always used MMO, grandad used MMO in all of his vehicle's and they always ran great according to dad, use Seafoam regularly also, that shit works! I freed the engine in that 85 I had with MMO so I know it works somewhat.

I use B12 when I can on my carbs and such, gonna use it when I swap to sploder injector's in my truck.
Old August 3rd, 2012, 10:15 PM

No Chevrons near me. I have to buy it and add it myself.

Old August 3rd, 2012, 11:01 PM

Liked 36 Times in 34 Posts

I have been using Prolong oil treatment in all my vehicles for at least 15 years and i can say this when i checked my compression, on Big Green before for the timing chain replacement.I truly believe that the prolong usage is the reason for the great condition of a 250,000 mile Triton!I also used the chemtool B12 monthly up until last year.that's when i switched to the stabil ethanol treatment.I switched because of the alcohol content in the B12.

click below to see my FTC Gallery

Don't forget those that came before you! Be proud of who you are and where your from.

“No damn man kills me and lives.” Confederate Lieutenant General, Nathan Bedford Forrest

Old August 3rd, 2012, 11:37 PM

Default Prolong

Product: Prolong Engine Treatment/ Booster
Manufacture: Golden West Lubricants

Claims: Reduces harmful friction and excessive heat in both gasoline and diesel-fueled engines Formulated with AFMT™ (Anti-Friction Metal Treatment) advanced technology Helps protect the engine in the event of oil or coolant loss. Helps restore engine efficiency to optimize fuel economy For both new and older, high-mileage vehicles. Free Lifetime Limited Product Engine Warranty.

Ingredients: Hydrotreated Heavy Paraffinic Distilates. No percentage given
Aromatic Petroleum Distillates. 300-500 ppm
Dewaxed Heavy Paraffinic Distillates (solvent) No percentage given
Proprietary Additives. (Non descript) No percentage given

Dose: one bottle of treatment initially with fresh oil (4-5 quarts). A bottle of booster at every oil change thereafter. No longer than 6mo or 6000 miles.

Last edited by bikertrash3531; August 4th, 2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old August 4th, 2012, 09:02 AM

never heard of B12

Old August 4th, 2012, 09:55 AM

Liked 36 Times in 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSoko View Post
never heard of B12
Its a fuel additive thats been around for ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikertrash3531 View Post

Product: B-12 Chemtool® Carburetor, Fuel System and Injector Cleaner
Manufacture: Berryman Products

Claims: Quickly dissolves petroleum residue and disperses moisture from fuel system, fuel injectors, valves,rings and pistons with High Energy Solvent Technology (H.E.S.T.). Regular use ensures higher compression, fewer repairs, lower operating costs and increased spark plug and injector life.
Catalytic converter and oxygen sensor safe.

Ingredients:Acetone 20-30%
2-Butoxyethanol <5%
Isopropyl Alcohol <5%
Methanol 20-30%

click below to see my FTC Gallery

Don't forget those that came before you! Be proud of who you are and where your from.

“No damn man kills me and lives.” Confederate Lieutenant General, Nathan Bedford Forrest

The Following User Likes This Post:
bikertrash3531 (August 4th, 2012)