Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > GARAGE TALK > Garage Talk: General Tech Talk

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old August 4th, 2012, 09:59 AM

Liked 36 Times in 34 Posts

Like i said i have used it for years.with out any negative results but cant positively say it helped I switched after reading these articals.

http://www.fuel-testers.com/is_gas_a..._e10_list.html

http://www.fuel-testers.com/review_g..._products.html

click below to see my FTC Gallery

Don't forget those that came before you! Be proud of who you are and where your from.

“No damn man kills me and lives.” Confederate Lieutenant General, Nathan Bedford Forrest

Old August 4th, 2012, 10:19 AM

Liked 36 Times in 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikertrash3531 View Post
Product: Prolong Engine Treatment/ Booster
Manufacture: Golden West Lubricants

Claims: Reduces harmful friction and excessive heat in both gasoline and diesel-fueled engines Formulated with AFMT™ (Anti-Friction Metal Treatment) advanced technology Helps protect the engine in the event of oil or coolant loss. Helps restore engine efficiency to optimize fuel economy For both new and older, high-mileage vehicles. Free Lifetime Limited Product Engine Warranty.

Ingredients: Hydrotreated Heavy Paraffinic Distilates. No percentage given
Aromatic Petroleum Distillates. 300-500 ppm
Dewaxed Heavy Paraffinic Distillates (solvent) No percentage given
Proprietary Additives. (Non descript) No percentage given

Dose: one bottle of treatment initially with fresh oil (4-5 quarts). A bottle of booster at every oil change thereafter. No longer than 6mo or 6000 miles.
Two of my friends are dedicated race car builders one dirt track and the other short track.Both swear by and use pro long to soak and coat before builds.Example #1 Yogi's dirt track super modified car with 5 laps left got a hole in the oil pan lost all the oil finished the race and after disassembling and inspecting the engine there was no damage or wear.#2 Yogi was in his RV dragging trailer with pit buggie and grills n stuff on section of highway with no shoulders had some kind of complication causing oil lose drove several miles before being able to pull off road.Fixed leak issue got back on road finished trip with no negative results.

click below to see my FTC Gallery

Don't forget those that came before you! Be proud of who you are and where your from.

“No damn man kills me and lives.” Confederate Lieutenant General, Nathan Bedford Forrest

Old August 4th, 2012, 01:58 PM

Liked 36 Times in 30 Posts
Default Techron

Product: Techron
Manufacturer: Chevron Products Company

Claims: Cleans and protects vital engine parts to maximize performance and efficiency of todays modern engines.

Ingredients: Stoddard Solvent. 100 ppm
Naphtha (base solvent) 20% +
Trimethylbenzene. < 8%
Xylene. <3.55%
Cumene. <1.5%

Dose: 1oz per gallon every 3000 miles

1994 F150 XLT ExCab SB 306, 4R70w, 8.8 3.55 open, MSD StreetFire coil, Taylor Siro Pro wires, MSD cap and rotor, 1.72 Roller Rockers, 2º cam advance w/ Cloyes Street True Roller timing set, Flat top Hyperutectic pistons, Flowtech Long Tube headers, Xpipe, High flow Magnaflow converters, Spintech XL Sportsman DIDO muffler.

Old August 4th, 2012, 02:18 PM

IMO Techron probably has the most science behind it.

Last edited by bikertrash3531; August 4th, 2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old August 4th, 2012, 02:28 PM

Default Star Tron

Product: Star Tron
Manufacturer: Star Brite Corporation

Claims: Unique enzyme formula improves performance in all engines. Improves combustion efficiency and fuel economy. Reduces emissions. Cleans entire fuel delivery system from tank to injectors and combustiin chambers. Removes carbon deposits and prevents future deposits. Ideal for ethanol blended fuels. Stabilizes fuel for up to two years. "Tune up in a bottle" Star Tron is fuel no need to worry of over dosing.

Ingredients: Naphtha 95%
Proprietary Organic Compound <.5%

Dose: 1oz per 6 gallons of fuel

1994 F150 XLT ExCab SB 306, 4R70w, 8.8 3.55 open, MSD StreetFire coil, Taylor Siro Pro wires, MSD cap and rotor, 1.72 Roller Rockers, 2º cam advance w/ Cloyes Street True Roller timing set, Flat top Hyperutectic pistons, Flowtech Long Tube headers, Xpipe, High flow Magnaflow converters, Spintech XL Sportsman DIDO muffler.

Old August 4th, 2012, 02:32 PM

I have used Star Tron in my bike with noticeable results. I gained an extra 1mpg and got rid of all hesitation in throttle response. I have not used it in anything else. I prefer other stuff for my cages.

Old August 4th, 2012, 10:11 PM

Liked 14 Times in 14 Posts

I have heard nothing but good out of seafoam but Ive also heard that ANY additive is bad on a fuel system. I have found two gas stations here that sell ethanol free fuel. I have been running this for the last 4-5 tanks and seems to have a little better get-up to it. I also have a little tick to it and that has gone away also. I am trying to figure out this Diablo tuner and with it I can retard or advance the valve tick.

As far as engine/gears being seized, I use PB Blaster. Spray it down thru the spark plug holes and let it sit for an hour or two. The stuff will eat thru a foam cup so you know it has good penetrating properties.

Im a lil out there as where I work on large diesel engines but instead of using starting fluid, try using brake clean. It still contains an "ether" like ingredient but isnt as harsh on valves. I spray thru the air cleaner but i guess you could use the throttle body or carb.

Lowriders are for guys who can't get it up!
Sissy's drive 2wd's! (you know who you are!!)

Black Sheep of FTC
Old August 4th, 2012, 11:53 PM

Ethanol free gasoline will provide more get up and go than the E10 crap. If you weigh 200 pounds and take a 20 pound crap you'd get up and go a little better too. As far as additives being harder on the fuel system, i can't see how due to that most of the ingredients are already present in gasoline and with proper dosage the additive to fuel ratio really isn't that great. Especailly when broken down by ingredient. Admittedly there are some extra solvents thrown into the mix but IIRC i have used gasoline as a solvent many times. Just a guess but i would actually think that since they add more of the same (petroleum distillate), it might actually help some with the E10 dilemma we face. Not much but some. The additives i would try to steer clear of while using E10 are the ones with Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) especially for storage. E10 is 10% alcohol, we get less efficiency with alcohol, why add more? Some may say its a drying agent, well, again, you already have 10% alcohol, why add more? If your running 100% gas than sure why not, give it a shot. Alcohol is hygroscopic in nature so it actually pulls moisture into itself. None of this is to say that any additive is not needed. Its an unfortunate truth that a majority of our fuels in this country are substandard IMO. So there is a call for these products. As you can see so far they vary in some ways and are common in others. Naphtha (white gas/ Coleman Fuel) being the most common.

Old April 7th, 2013, 04:13 PM

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Super job BT! After reading the story of prolong, I think I'll try it. I can say this about Sea Foam, my front tank would not register. One dose of SF and it has worked ever since. Hey guys, don't forget about your mowers and equipment. Non ethanol is best for older mowers, weedeaters and such. Food for fuel, what a waste. Hey BT, I can't think of it, but there is one that is suppose to have Teflon in it. Might be one you can add.

1993 F150 XLT, 5.8 with E40D, Tow and Handling Package. Fully loaded from factory as truck was special order. Mods: Extang Snap on bed cover. 2" drop in rear, Six Liter Tuneup, NOS 66-72 Ford Air Foil Antenna, Planet Auto Red Ford Oval (grille). Diamond Clear Headlight Package, Bumper Guards, F350 Brake Conversion, Slotted/Drilled Front Rotors, 3 row alum radiator with Mk VIII elec fan. and much more to come!
Old April 7th, 2013, 04:34 PM

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts

I've heard Startron is supposed to break down the Ethanol in regular gas.