Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > THE LOUNGE > General Discussion

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old December 25th, 2012, 02:30 PM

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
Default The Shotgun Thread

Another thread where we have lots of info in Dee's weapon thread that can be made into a separate thread.

This is the Shotgun thread, discussion for all types of shotguns, and yes, even the Saiga 12ga....

I currently own 2 shotguns, a Remington model 11A Also known as "The Sportsman" based off of the Browning Auto-5, this is a 3 shot semi auto shotgun Made in Feb-Apr of 1941 and is 16ga, and a Marlin Model 55 "Goose Gun" 12ga also 3 shot(2 in the magazine + 1 in the chamber) has a 36" Full choke Barrel on it, bolt action.

Within the next month or month and a half I'm buying a Mossberg 500 12ga All Purpose, 6 shot(5 in the mag + 1 in the chamber), pump action, 28" Vent Rib barreled shotgun, this shotgun Facilitate's easy changing of barrel's, meaning I can take off the 28" and as long as the barrel I install on it is made for a 6 shot I can use it, probably gonna get a 24" slug barrel for Deer Hunting and a 20" for Home Defense, I'll elaborate more on this later.

So, let's get to discussing.

My pics will follow.

Also includes the Ammo you use, pics of it and the target would be best, specially for people looking at certain brands of Buckshot and certain sizes for Home Defense!!!

Last edited by BigBlue79; December 25th, 2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old December 26th, 2012, 08:00 PM

Biker has seen this one in person, the pictures really don't do it justice, manufactured February to April of 1941, it's a 3 shot from the factory, no plug in the magazine, it's the magazine size. It has a Selectable choke on it, Modified, Improved Cylinder, Full, 1, 3, and 5. Semi Automatic, based on the Browning Auto-5, look it up, you'll see they look just alike, these were made by Remington though, the Model 11 and this it's Brother "The Sportsman" also known internally as the 11A. You'll notice in the last pic, the Browning Patent Numbers, Originally John Moses Browning pitched the Design of the Auto-5 to Winchester whom he'd always sold gun design's to, this time he thought this Shotgun would be highly successful, so he pitched it with the idea of being paid royalties from the sale of all the shotguns, Winchester rejected. So he went to Remington, the president at the time died of a heart attack before he got an answer so he sold the design to Belgium gun company Fabrique Nationale.

Pics:

I think it was JSoko that requested a Receiver picture in Dee's thread:

Choke:

Old December 27th, 2012, 12:33 AM

For those that don't know, shell on the left is a Magnum 2 3/4" shell(16ga) shell on the right is a Field Load 2 3/4" shell(also 16ga):

Old December 27th, 2012, 09:12 AM

Liked 187 Times in 169 Posts

back in the day you could also find 16 ga in a 2 9/16" shell

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

Last edited by JSoko; December 27th, 2012 at 03:07 PM.
Old December 27th, 2012, 12:29 PM

It's hard enough to find them now, I know you can still buy some 16ga at the Sportsmans Guide and Cheaper than dirt, but you can't find them in the local stores. All that can be bought is 2.75" or 2 3/4" Shells, I didn't know they made a 2 1/2". I've been told if I find them cheap enough to start buying them up..

I've also been looking for a Remington Model 11 or another Sportsman in 12ga, I'd like to get a Sportsman in 12ga and a Model 11 in 12 and 16ga's.
Old December 27th, 2012, 02:01 PM

Liked 14 Times in 14 Posts

I have a Pardner 12 ga pump 5+1 in 3" chamber, black syn stock, scoped, 26" barrel. Havent done much else to it right now, will get tube extended as well as add a light for tactical.

As far as ammo: Im using 3" Nitro mag 4 shot for Turkey, (broke down and bought 3" Mag #4 steel shot for duck/goose), 2 3/4" 6 shot for squirrel, rabbit, grouse,etc. I have some shotgun sabot slugs but have yet to let one fire off.

As far as tactical home defense.....doesnt matter what your shooting if the idiot in your home is within 20-30ft. Im blowing holes.....I mean HOLES in targets at those ranges with 3" mag bird shot. I say let a shot scatter and make em suffer. They arent supposed to be in my house and I dont want them to leave without being in pain and having to not have little tiny pcs of lead pulled out!

I also have a 20ga that I bought for my son. Couldnt belive this Rossi kicks harder than my 12 ga pump but it'll knock the "it" out of ya. I also have an OOOOOLD Springfield 12ga single shot. This gun has to be older than Joey and I know older than all the rest of us!! LOL!!

Lowriders are for guys who can't get it up!
Sissy's drive 2wd's! (you know who you are!!)

Black Sheep of FTC
Old December 27th, 2012, 02:24 PM

to Cat -

Old December 27th, 2012, 03:27 PM

"manufactured February to April of 1941, it's a 3 shot from the factory'

yours may be a 1941 , but they were introduced in 1931 with that 3 shot

I just traded a 16ga sportsman for a 1981 Harley dual disc front end

in that magazine tube you have an adjustable bronze piece and a steel friction ring, used to cycle the action when useing different loads and its adjustabe for 3 positions depending on what your shooting

I don't think that choke is a factory install, does it have any brand name, like Poly or Cutts ???
as far as I know they were only offered with a plain or ribbed barrel

and yours is one of the later models with the cross bolt safety, the early models had a lever safety ahead of the trigger

Last edited by JSoko; December 27th, 2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old December 27th, 2012, 07:14 PM

I know the choke isn't factory, "The Poly Choke Co. Hartford Conn." I listed the year it was made cause some people like to know when a gun was manufactured.

Don't really know much about other than dad was working at a gas station way back when, guy needed money for gas, was moving on with his life, didn't have anything with him other than his truck, this shotgun, and his clothes. Dad bought the shotgun for $35, wouldn't eject the shell when it was fired, wound up having a split extractor that a 35yr gunsmith couldn't see and a man in his 60's that wore glasses found.. either way, it cycle's excellently now, and on Modified choke with this #4 shot it'll turn the Black to green reactive targets completely green from 15yds.
Old December 27th, 2012, 07:32 PM

so it has that date stamped on it ?

good thing about the choke is that you have full range of patterns
anywhere you set it is fine it does not have to be on the mark

bad thing is that it reduces the value of the gun

PolyChoke was the top of the line adjustable chokes

I'll try to find some info on the adjustable spring tensioner

one thing to remember is that gun does not like much oil on the action

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 8
ASwaff400 , BigBlue79 , bikertrash3531 , Booba5185 , catmechanic07 , JSoko , Klitch , skatebowd