Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > GARAGE TALK > Garage Talk: Wheels & Tires

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old October 28th, 2010, 04:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Bridgestone Blizzak Snow Tires

Where I'm eventually heading to (hopefully this winter) I will probably need some snow tires.
I was looking at these mainly because they are available in my size and a company we deal with can get them at a fairly good price.
Anybody have them or used them before?

275/55R20

The Blizzak DM-V1 stands out from other winter tires due to its versatility. The new Tube Multi-Cell and NanoPro-Tech rubber compound help improve snow, ice, wet and dry performance by making the tire more flexible to changes in conditions.

RC Polymer
Improves snow and ice performance through use of specific NanoPro-Tech rubber compound.

Center Multi-Z Pattern
Improves snow and ice traction by improving drainage and increasing the biting edges.

3-D Sipes
Enhance dry performance while maintaining snow, ice and wet traction.

Continuous Lug
Enhances snow traction and water evacuation.

BATES

"If you see this in your rear view mirror.........MOVE!"
Banks & PHP Powered
4wheels are for guys who can't drive with 2

Old October 28th, 2010, 08:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had them and they where fantastic. Make sure you put them on well after the snow is falling and get them off early in the spring. If you run these on dry/warm blacktop they will not last. If you swap them out you should get 3 seasons out of them no problem.

I just love getting dirty.
Old October 29th, 2010, 12:32 PM

Liked 187 Times in 169 Posts

What I found on Snow Tires for TRUCKS

Reviews & Recommended - Bridgestone Blizzak DM-Z3

CR's Take

The Bridgestone Blizzak DM-Z3 offer the impressive winter grip.

Read the highs and lows from our testing
About - Bridgestone Blizzak DM-Z3
The Blizzak DM-Z3 is part of the tire test program at Consumer Reports. In our lab tests, winter truck tire models like the Blizzak DM-Z3 are rated on multiple criteria, such as those listed below.

Snow traction:
Snow traction reflects the distance our test car needed to accelerate from 5 to 20 mph on moderately packed snow.

Ice braking:
We tested ice braking on a skating rink from 10 to 0 mph.

Dry braking:
Dry braking is from 60 to 0 mph.
About This Brand

Based in Tokyo, Bridgestone is one of the three largest tire manufacturers in the world. Bridgestone Americas Tire Operations has its headquarters in Nashville, Tenn. The corporation manufactures and markets Bridgestone, Firestone, Dayton, and Fuzion tires, among other associate brands. It supplies tires for most applications in the United States. Bridgestone and Firestone replacement tires often score well in our tests.

Features & Specs - Bridgestone Blizzak DM-Z3

Size tested
The size of the tested model.
Size tested (P)265/70R17

Speed rating
Speed rating. This letter denotes the maximum sustainable speed and is found directly after the load index. For S-speed-rated tires, it's 112 mph; for T, 118 mph. Speed ratings for other tires include Q, 99 mph; H, 130 mph; V, 149 mph; and Z, 150 mph plus. While such speeds may seem wildly impractical, tires with higher speed ratings tend to provide better handling at legal speed limits. Choose tires that have a speed rating at least as high as the one specified on your vehicle's placard.
Speed rating Q

Tread
The tread is what makes contact with the road. Patterns vary to suit specific performance criteria including tread life, handling, traction, and noise. Tread patterns incorporate ribs and tread "blocks" that contact the road and "valleys" between ribs or tread blocks called grooves for evacuating water. Slits in the ribs or tread blocks are called sipes that provide biting edges useful in wintry weather.
Tread Studless
More features and specs
User Reviews - Bridgestone Blizzak DM-Z3
Average User Rating (based on 2 reviews) Write a reviewDisplaying Reviews 1-2 of 2
[1 of 1 customers found this review helpful]
These are great tires!By Pat from Hearst, Ontario, Canadda on 3/21/2010
Pros:Noise,Ride comfort,Tread life,Winter traction
Common Driving Pattern:City / highway
Describe Yourself:Average driver
Approximate Miles On The Tires:More than 10,000
Where Did You Buy The Tires?:Tire dealer
How long have you owned it:More than six months
Bottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend
We have 2 sets...one of which just completed its 6th Northern Ontario winter. Loved them so much we bought a set for our new SUV last year. Each set is mounted on steel winter wheels. I install them near Halloween and take them off near Easter. I recommend these to anyone with a truck or SUV.

[2 of 2 customers found this review helpful]
Unstoppable in 4wdBy Colorado Toyota from Fort Collins,CO on 12/4/2009
Pros:Noise,Ride comfort,Tread life,Winter traction
Cons:Value
Common Driving Pattern:City / highway
Describe Yourself:Enthusiast driver
Approximate Miles On The Tires:5,000 - 10,000 miles
Where Did You Buy The Tires?:Tire dealer
How long have you owned it:More than six months
Bottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend
I am on my second set of these amazing tires. They turned my tail happy 4wd Toyota pickup into a invincible snow eating machine. For the most part I just leave the truck in 2wd in the snow. 2wd drive is a freaking blast with these tires, you can goose the gas pedal hard and break the tires free to whip the rear end out, then to get control back just let of the gas and let the tires catch up. In 4wd drive I have had no problem driving through 2 foot deep snow. All you have to do is avoid one accident you would not have avoided with regular tires and these tires have paid for themselves.
CR RecommendedMichelin
Latitude X-Ice$128 See all TiresRecommendedRatingsNobody Tests Like
We Do Our testers put 100s of products through their paces at our National Testing and Research Center. Learn more about how we test for: Performance Safety Reliability Learn more See also:Tires Buying AdviceTo find the model that is right for you, read our expert advice on which features to consider and how to find the best value.

Winter truck tire Ratings
This chart includes tested and similar modelsWhat's behind the Ratings?Ratings OverviewFeatures & Specs
ConsumerReports.org ShopOnline
Clicking "Shop Now!" allows you to shop in a unique and convenient online shopping environment powered by PriceGrabber.com.

The benefits of shopping through ConsumerReports ShopOnline include price and merchant comparisons in an ad-free, unbiased, and safe environment where you can interact with PriceGrabber.com tools and customer support to ensure quality service from merchants.

Unbiased — Retailers cannot pay for top placement here! Unlike other shopping sites, your shopping search results are listed by price — lowest to highest.
Local Shopping Feature — Find out if the product is in stock in a store near you. Compare prices and get directions.
Ad-free — PriceGrabber.com & ConsumerReports.org have come together to bring you a clean site with easy navigation and an ad-free user experience.
New products only — You'll never find used or refurbished products for sale.
Merchant quality policing — Random checks of merchants are performed regularly and your feedback is used to decide which merchants are listed.
Merchant reviews — Read merchant reviews from users in the PriceGrabber network and add your feedback to help future users in the community make purchase decisions based on the quality of service provided by listed merchants. Reviews from the ConsumerReports.org community will be flagged as such.
Customer Service — Having a hard time with a merchant? Send us an email at ConsumerReports@pricegrabber.com and we'll contact the merchant on your behalf to resolve outstanding issues.
For information on how to shop safely online, read our tips.

Please note the following:

ConsumerReports.org and PriceGrabber.com do not sell products and do not endorse any retailers through this service.
ConsumerReports.org has no relationship whatsoever with individual retailers or manufacturers and receives no payment from them.
When you click on the "Shop Now!" button to continue to Pricegrabber.com, you will leave ConsumerReports.org. Once there, ConsumerReports.org has no connection to or responsibility for user actions.
Choosing a retailer on Pricegrabber.com takes you directly to the retailer's site where you will be covered only by the retailer's privacy policy and user agreement.
Select up to 5 models to compare detailed ratings and features & specs
You can add models from other types to your chart. Learn more

Brand & Model Price Ratings and Test Results
Approximate retail price

Overall score
Overall score emphasizes safety-related tests, including braking, handling, and resistance to hydroplaning. Displayed scores are rounded; models are listed in order of precise overall score.

Snow traction
Snow traction reflects the distance our test car needed to accelerate from 5 to 20 mph on moderately packed snow.

Ice braking
We tested ice braking on a skating rink from 10 to 0 mph.

Dry braking
Dry braking is from 60 to 0 mph.

Wet braking
Wet braking is from 40 to 0 mph.

Handling
Handling includes how well the tires gripped in an avoidance maneuver involving a swerve into the left lane and back into the right lane; wet and dry cornering grip on our skid pad; and subjective steering feel.

Hydroplaning
Hydroplaning reflects how quickly we could drive through standing water before the tires began to skim on the surface.

Ride comfort
Ride comfort eflects our on-road judgments.

Noise
Noise reflects our on-road judgments.

Rolling resistance
Rolling resistance, measured on a dynamometer at an outside laboratory, is a factor in fuel economy.

THE # AFTER THE PRICE IS THE SCORE ON A 0-100 SCALE

Michelin Latitude X-Ice *
Michelin Latitude X-Ice
Price: $128
Summary: A studless winter tire.
See model overview $128 70

Bridgestone Blizzak DM-Z3
Bridgestone Blizzak DM-Z3
Price: $131
Summary: A studless winter tire.
See model overview $131 67

Cooper Discoverer M&S
Cooper Discoverer M&S
Price: $106
Summary: A stud-able winter tire.
See model overview $106 56

Winterforce M+S
Winterforce M+S
Price: $80
Summary: A stud-able winter tire.
See model overview $80 50

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

Last edited by JSoko; October 29th, 2010 at 12:50 PM.
Old October 30th, 2010, 03:39 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Ran Blizzaks in the past and they're awesome....Ive heard really good things about the Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT and the Toyo Observes as well. Blizzaks are always an excellent decision...can never go wrong buying Blizzaks. Now a little weight in the box and the stress level of winter driving has just reduced dramatically, if not totally.

HA! HA! I'm a supporting member and you're not!

Old November 3rd, 2010, 07:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks for the extra info, opinions and overall help guys!

BATES

Banks & PHP Powered

Old November 16th, 2010, 02:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Found some Hankook I*Pike RW11 Winter tires that are about $40 cheaper than the Blizzaks.
Anybody used them before?

BATES

Banks & PHP Powered

Old November 16th, 2010, 03:58 PM

Liked 187 Times in 169 Posts

NO

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

Old April 12th, 2011, 01:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Blizzak Dm-V1 has improved snow and ice performance over previous Blizzak DM-Z3...These are performance tires which we can see mostly on expensive cars.Softer rubber actually remains pliable during the cold winter months to give you better traction..Unfortunately, when this tires are used on dry surfaces, they are going to wear down faster than other snow tires...So better to change with summer tires in summer season to get maximum use of this tires in snowy seasons..
Old April 12th, 2011, 07:02 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I believe the Blizzaks to be superior to most everything, except for the tires I mentioned above, which are very close to being on par. Make sure to take them off as soon as you feel safe to so, they do burn up quick on anything above 10*C.

HA! HA! I'm a supporting member and you're not!