Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > FORD F-100 | F-150 SERIES > 1973-1991 Ford F150

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old September 11th, 2014, 05:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Finishing Engine swap 1991 F150 5.8

Have a few questions on my 1991 F150. Swapping the 5.8 from a bronco.

Ground straps? There's a really large braided copper line from the neg battery post, and it used to go under the engine somewhere. Thought it was a negative for the starter, but 8" short, think it's a main link to the frame?

Upper small diameter hose from the radiator fill neck. It crosses the top of the radiator, then changes to rubber and heads toward the passenger side of the engine, but don't know where it was feeding. No inlets left at this point, see pics.

Almost ready to restart, it's been a yearlong project! Wish me luck!! First time engine swap.

Shawn B
Spokane, WA
Old September 12th, 2014, 06:32 AM

Liked 36 Times in 34 Posts

ground wire and preasure release over flow usually goes into your plastic reservoir tank i think

click below to see my FTC Gallery

Don't forget those that came before you! Be proud of who you are and where your from.

“No damn man kills me and lives.” Confederate Lieutenant General, Nathan Bedford Forrest

Old September 21st, 2014, 01:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

But the collection tank is on the far side of the engine bay, This hose goes to the opposite side, and seems like it might have been top/bottom of the throttle body? still no good answers.

Also having trouble starting. Was getting clicking, but now it seems like the ignition switch is all sloppy in the cylinder. like it's flopping around, and not engaging the switch. Replaced all the main heavy wires, checked for low resistance on all of them.
Old September 21st, 2014, 06:48 AM

Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts

that hose sould have been connected to the top side of the throttle body. on both my 302 and 351 the inlet came from around the t-stat/waterpump area, then T'd into one of the heater core hoses. both motors are from '95 model year trucks... i ended up bypassing the system as the metal pipe on the TB rusted through... that hose hooked to your TB looks somewhat new and not OE. if everything is hooked to the TB and doesnt leak, you can remove that rubber and metal pipe and plug it off at the radiator.

Aaron

'95 F150 XLT, reg cab long bed, swapped 351w,
4.56 gears, 4-link SAS, 14" coil overs.

SAS Thread!!!

'04 F250 Lariat, crew cab short bed 4x4 6.0L PSD, 3.73 gears, straight piped,
sinister coolant filter, welded egr, CAT EC-1 coolant, blue spring.
60 gallon fuel tank/tool box, SCT X4 w/IDP custom tunes, SOON TO BE STUDDED!!

a bunch of boats

Old October 5th, 2014, 11:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks, All. I had figured that, ASwaff, thanks for the confirmation.

Just one last question. I have been moving toward start, and have all the electrical connections put back. I have tested the starter on the bench, and replaced the battery for new. 12.5 V at rest. 675 CCA. The key was floppy, seemed like it was spinning in the ignition switch. Replaced ignition switch. No life as I turn the key. Also, no dash lights, and the door bonger sounds like its getting 5 v, sounds like a million miles away. Headlights and dome lights okay. Just went through all the fuses under the driver side cover. Are there more fuses? Any idea why the key is just turning without springing back? How I get to starting?
What might be going on? I'll be happy just for guesses, at this point.
Old October 8th, 2014, 06:58 AM

Liked 187 Times in 169 Posts

12.5 V for a new battery is low
sounds like a bad ground on the dash lights and bonger

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.