Quantcast 1989 F150 XLT Lariat 2wd Dash shift pattern and Transmission gears - Ford Truck Club Forum

Home

Forum

Gallery

Garage

Blog

Arcade

Settings

TOTM

Vote

Remember Me?
       Join for free!

Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > FORD F-100 | F-150 SERIES > 1973-1991 Ford F150

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old June 9th, 2015, 01:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question 1989 F150 XLT Lariat 2wd Dash shift pattern and Transmission gears

I recently bought this truck, and it has been awhile since I have done any automotive mechanicing. A lot of things have changed and I need to get up to speed. According to all information I have, my truck has the E4OD transmission. In the owners guide there are two displays in the dash panel (1) PRN(D)D1
(2) PRND21
The (2) is what is shown in the dash. I have been asked if there is a button on the end of the shift lever. There is not.
Please correct me if I am wrong,because I surely do not know for sure.
My assumption is that the E4OD will automatically shift into and out of overdrive as the engine pull and RPM warrants. Which negates any need for a button on the end of the shifting lever. The (1) display I assume, is for the AOD transmission.
Old June 9th, 2015, 10:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The E4OD is electronically controlled. If you do not have the button then I would assume that the only control you have over it going in and out of overdrive is whether the selector is on D or 2. But what it sounds like is that you have a C6 tranny. Do you have overdrive? You can also check by counting the bolts on the trannys pan.
C6 - 17 bolts
AOD - 14 bolts
E4OD - 20 bolts
Also, what size tires does it have an what rpm are you at while at 55mph?