Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > FORD F-100 | F-150 SERIES > 1992-1996 Ford F150

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old October 4th, 2011, 05:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question 1995 F150 motor swap?

My truck has the 5.8L motor in it and I am wondering what swaps are possible for my truck. I would like to put a newer (<20k miles) 4.6L engine in it to be lighter more and fuel efficient. My truck runs just fine, but the engine is pushing 250K miles and I want to get a new engine in it so I don't end up broke down somewhere. Any suggestions? I plan on rebuilding the 351 from the bottom up, but I want to put in something smaller and newer.
Old October 4th, 2011, 07:28 PM

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default Newer ????

Hay cubichi06
Well if you have REALLY big money tree growing in the back yard yes you can put a 4.6 in either adapt to your trans or get a trans to go with the 4.6 -also would need the wiring harness and ecm to go with it ....
The 351W is a tough engine to beat if it were mine i would rebuild it upgrade the intake install shorty slyle headers . Look at a good cat back system roller rockers . I think that should gain you a few more MPG
Old October 4th, 2011, 07:59 PM

Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesleeper View Post
Hay cubichi06
Well if you have REALLY big money tree growing in the back yard yes you can put a 4.6 in either adapt to your trans or get a trans to go with the 4.6 -also would need the wiring harness and ecm to go with it ....
The 351W is a tough engine to beat if it were mine i would rebuild it upgrade the intake install shorty slyle headers . Look at a good cat back system roller rockers . I think that should gain you a few more MPG
ditto!

for probably the same cost to swap a modern engine/trans, you could probably swap a 4bt or even a 6bt cummins if your really looking to "save money" for a more fuel efficient... you probably wouldnt gain much to justify the cost of swapping another gasser. in a stock tuck with a gasser your lucky to get 19 mpg. with the cummins you could possibly get 30 mpg!

id say rebuild your 351, save for a 4bt swap:salut:

Aaron

'95 F150 XLT, reg cab long bed, swapped 351w,
4.56 gears, 4-link SAS, 14" coil overs.

SAS Thread!!!

'04 F250 Lariat, crew cab short bed 4x4 6.0L PSD, 3.73 gears, straight piped,
sinister coolant filter, welded egr, CAT EC-1 coolant, blue spring.
60 gallon fuel tank/tool box, SCT X4 w/IDP custom tunes, SOON TO BE STUDDED!!

a bunch of boats

Old October 4th, 2011, 09:27 PM

Liked 187 Times in 169 Posts

re-build the 5.8 Windsor Powerhouse

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

Old October 4th, 2011, 09:56 PM

Liked 36 Times in 34 Posts

when i bought my truck i had a choice of 4.6 or 5.4. I picked the 4.6 for fuel millage.I quickly found out that the 4.6 is a thirsty little animal. with way less power.but after 250,000 miles.The alternator and the radiator are the only two things that have had to be replaced.long story short the 4.6 is a good engine. but there is not much savings in fuel economy and a big power differential in my humble opinion.

click below to see my FTC Gallery

Don't forget those that came before you! Be proud of who you are and where your from.

“No damn man kills me and lives.” Confederate Lieutenant General, Nathan Bedford Forrest

Old October 5th, 2011, 06:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks everyone! I was thinking about building the 351 as it needs it pretty badly. There is oil caked on all over the place and like I said, it has 250K on it. The engine runs like a champ, but needs a good overhaul. Does anyone know of any links or where I can find videos/books that can show me how to do it from start to finish? I have looked online, but I cannot find something that goes from the start of the tear down to the end of the rebuild. How long should it take to do? What should I look for (wear wise) when I get it torn down and cleaned? Thanks again for the help guys, I am an engineer by trade and education so I know I can do it, I just don't quite know how to.
Old October 5th, 2011, 08:18 PM

buying a Haynes or Chilton manual would be the best start

pull it out of the Truck
start taking things off
find a good machine shop in Macon
get the blocked dipped
have them re-work your heads
have them check the crank and bore
and that would be the best bet for a lond lasting engine
they will be able to tell you about new pistons rods and so on
make some phone calls
ask your friends or your local mechanic
I'm sure someone will know of a good place to have the work done; but just like anything ya gotta ask questions and shop around to find that special place you'll like

you could do the reassembly yourself but for the first timer this rates kinda high on the skill/difficulty scale
something you'll want to last and be reliable for a long time leave it for the pros

for the inexperienced, if you must get your hands in it settle with the removal & tear down

that manual will help you get right through it and more if you feel the need

this is my best advice considering what you said above, and being a engineer I'm sure you can appericate this

Old October 8th, 2011, 02:01 PM

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

What is your end vision - write down in a book - it ain't got to be clear although that can really help, just get it documented. Involve the family! They are your ace in the hole. Allow them to participate (even if you dont do what they say ) . When they have a say in it they take ownership and will have more understanding when you have that 'crap - forgot to think of that' moment. You will most likely have a few of them. They wont be a drastic or as frequent if you take your time outlining your goal.

During this deal you will be tired as crap, pissed as hell and have many, many of those 'I aint it the mood to deal with it' moments. A log / book / something you can refer to will keep you and your goal in check.

Establish a Budget .. than add 15-20% for the unknowns.
Parts do not include the extra's you need like locktite, sandpaper, antisieze, spray paint, throw away towels, degreaser, different kinds of greases and the like. Add at least 15-20% of the budget to these kinds of things. You can always reallocate the money later as needed. If you aint got the budget or the time - dont start the project or you'll throw needed money away.

Your gonna rebuild it so - dont forget to take pictures before and after you pressure wash it. Might sound dumb but it ain't. Take it to a spray wash and let them deal with the grease, oil antifreeze run-off that ain't gonna end up in your garage and driveway. Your family will buy your beer!

We all know different manuals can say different things for the same vehicle and the same step. Ask questions. Don't settle for a guess. If you decide to 'take shortcuts' stand tall for that choice. You're the one that has to be comfortable with your choices.

My choice of auto repair manuals is Motor Manuals and the actual manufactures repair manuals and Tech Guides. Budget it in the vision. Remember that you can always resell them on E-Bay when your done.

Don't just toss stuff away! You might be able to recoup money for some of those parts and then icrease your options to buy bigger and better parts for yourself. List and lable items you arent going to use and resell the re-useables. Plenty of people are doing just what you are doing and there just might be someone who needs that widget.

The documentation you keep will help you big time with the list of resaleable items to recoup costs.

Continue the before and after documentation at each step.

Keep your vision or end goal as realistic as possible and in tune with your wallet. If you go too far overboard your project can sink.

Bag n Tag everything.

Go over everything again and again! The more times you check the less times you scratch your head in confusion. Measure twice cut once.

Pick n Pull lots are treasure chests in the waiting. Buddy it up. A BBQ with cold beer brings out your helpers!

Fuel systems including the Gas Tanks and braking systems are nasty after a few years - budget it in the build.

Triple check the wiring. Replace/Repair anything in question including the straps that hold the wiring on the frame. Sucks huge when your done with the engine build and your ready to fire it up only to find out your wiring, any and all of it, was never completely checked and now you have electrical shorts or worse a fire.

Combine your orders - When you know what you need avoid excess trips to the parts store, junk yards and order catalogs - you save huge on S&H by combining orders.

What we leave behind are our words and our deeds. Nothing else really matters.

Last edited by HawaiianF150; October 8th, 2011 at 02:53 PM.
Old October 8th, 2011, 08:01 PM

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Joe Gibbs long block - $1600 +core

http://www.hiperformer.com/featured_...r_351wrlb.html

1995 Ford 1995 Light Truck Shop Manual OEM Service Manuals from Helm http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.a...ected%5Fmedia=

What we leave behind are our words and our deeds. Nothing else really matters.

Last edited by HawaiianF150; October 8th, 2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old October 9th, 2011, 07:23 AM

[QUOTE=HawaiianF150;46311]Joe Gibbs long block - $1600 +core

http://www.hiperformer.com/featured_...r_351wrlb.html

you cant beat hiperformer's price or the attention they give their long blocks

unless you want to re-build your existing engine