Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > FORD F-100 | F-150 SERIES > 1992-1996 Ford F150

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old May 18th, 2013, 02:35 PM

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Default Radiator mount/thermo switch

With the enclosed photos, I was going to ask how to mount Mk VIII fan to radiator but it came up on ebay from flexlite a mount kit that includes 8 round disc's and four pull ties with pieces that go on ties and just pull tight, no looping of the tie, so I think That is what is needed there. The other is the rely set for the fan. But the mk8 is two speed so I'm going to assume, I will need two. If that is true, what wires from two kits can I double up on into one connector? Also, will I need to upgrade charging wire as suggested by RJM? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0488.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	887   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0491.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	888   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0490.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	889   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0489.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	890  

1993 F150 XLT, 5.8 with E40D, Tow and Handling Package. Fully loaded from factory as truck was special order. Mods: Extang Snap on bed cover. 2" drop in rear, Six Liter Tuneup, NOS 66-72 Ford Air Foil Antenna, Planet Auto Red Ford Oval (grille). Diamond Clear Headlight Package, Bumper Guards, F350 Brake Conversion, Slotted/Drilled Front Rotors, 3 row alum radiator with Mk VIII elec fan. and much more to come!
Old May 18th, 2013, 04:18 PM

Liked 31 Times in 28 Posts

I think you have a 95 amp 3g so upgrading a 130 would be a good idea. How do you want to run the fan? Low all the time? High all the time? switch in the cab to choose between the 2? I'd say the switch if it were me. If you run High, a heavier duty relay is needed, http://www.ebay.com/ctg/BWD-Automoti...elay-/75943651 . would cover it. On startup (on high) these fan draw something around 70 amps, and once running, settle at 35 or so amps. Make sure you put the temperature probe by the top radiator hose, for the most accurate reading.

89 F-150 5.0l AOD 2x4, 3.55 LS(+4), Converted to HO Roller, 3g Alt, GT40Ps, Y-pipe, Rerouted PCV, Dual Taurus E-fans, Explorer Injectors, Remote ICM, DIY Cold air, Rubber Vacuum System, Tranny cooler, Remote Tranny filter, Saginaw P\S swap, F350 Brakes, more.

Old May 18th, 2013, 05:05 PM

I bought a 160 a couple of months ago. I never saw any 130's. So the up grade to the charging wire is almost a must for proper performance. RJM has whole kit for $45. I would really like fan to work at either speeds automatically, but you didn't say anything about that so I'm guessing a switch is in the works and do it manual. So, what would I need to do on the wiring of a switch and options for what kind of switch.

1993 F150 XLT, 5.8 with E40D, Tow and Handling Package. Fully loaded from factory as truck was special order. Mods: Extang Snap on bed cover. 2" drop in rear, Six Liter Tuneup, NOS 66-72 Ford Air Foil Antenna, Planet Auto Red Ford Oval (grille). Diamond Clear Headlight Package, Bumper Guards, F350 Brake Conversion, Slotted/Drilled Front Rotors, 3 row alum radiator with Mk VIII elec fan. and much more to come!
Old May 21st, 2013, 08:47 PM

There are ways to make it perform automatically, but they are more expensive, of course. I myself run 2 Taurus fans which are the exact same as the Mark VIII fans, but with smaller blades. I have a High-Off-Low switch in the cab, and I don't think I have ever come close to needing High at all. In order to have a set up like mine, you'd need wire to run from the radiator\thermostat into the cab (to the switch), then 2 wires to lead from in the cab to the High relay and low relay. What I ended up doing was getting a Taurus fuse\relay box that had the megafuse built on the side (for the 160a 3g), and all the fuses\relays I would need for headlight relays and the low side of the fan relays (remember, you need the beefy relay for the high side of the fans). I'm at work now, but so I don't have many pictures, but if you need them let me know and I can show you.

89 F-150 5.0l AOD 2x4, 3.55 LS(+4), Converted to HO Roller, 3g Alt, GT40Ps, Y-pipe, Rerouted PCV, Dual Taurus E-fans, Explorer Injectors, Remote ICM, DIY Cold air, Rubber Vacuum System, Tranny cooler, Remote Tranny filter, Saginaw P\S swap, F350 Brakes, more.

Old May 22nd, 2013, 12:13 AM

Thanks Booba, I used my battery charger(4 amp) to test the fan again and I noticed not much difference between low and high. I was going to ask about using high, as was thinking of just wiring it up on low with the harness I have. I think that's what I'll do and monitor temp gauge until I can get more accurate gauges and rewire if need be. It won't hurt to go ahead and install alternator with out the larger charge wire will it?

Old May 22nd, 2013, 01:12 AM

Yes it could, I would definitely upgrade the charge wire\fuse. The alternator is going to be trying to push more power through the stock wire than it is designed to. The fusible link will either blow, or the the wire itself could eventually melt\catch fire. At 14.4v the difference between high and low is BIG. I'd run it on high, somewhere around 4000 CFM, me thinks.

Last edited by Booba5185; May 22nd, 2013 at 01:18 AM.
Old May 22nd, 2013, 11:32 AM

okie dokie

Old August 16th, 2014, 12:04 PM

Well it has only been a year and 3 months, but I went back and re-read. The link doesn't work anymore for the HD relay but I found a HD 80 amp on ebay. I tried to find a 40/80 but couldn't. Now a question. The 30/40 amp relay I got from Leadfoot Racing is 4 wire socket, but the relay has 5 prongs and plugs in fine, just no wire in socket to center prong on relay. Should I get a 5 wire socket for the HD 80 relay? If so, then where does the center wire go? Also, on the charge wire from alternator, that runs straight to starter solenoid correct? I see a y/w wire with stock charge wire going into fusable link so I will have to remember to include y/w wire in with new charge wire in new link. I see on the schematic the y/w wire comes from the sensing and switching circuits of alt. Oh yeah Booba, what ever happened to the head light harness?

Old August 16th, 2014, 02:32 PM

And NO, I didn't mean starter solenoid. Shows where my brain is at this morning.

Old August 16th, 2014, 03:28 PM

I don't believe I have a brain anymore. Given the last year, it is wore out, burnt out and almost played out. I say that with a chuckle. Thank God it's still firing. So yes I meant what I meant first and I know where it all goes, I've done peeled opened the harness. I used my butane torch to put lug on wire with pellet and then heat shrink and I did not burn the house down so I guess I'm doing ok. Got some errands so I hope I can finish tomorrow. Got to mow today.