Quantcast How to: Replacing the Fuel Pressure Regulator on a 1987-1991 F-Series and Bronco - Ford Truck Club Forum

Home

Forum

Gallery

Garage

Blog

Arcade

Settings

TOTM

Vote

Remember Me?
       Join for free!

Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > GARAGE TALK > Garage Talk: Shop Class 101

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old October 29th, 2012, 06:21 PM

Liked 49 Times in 42 Posts
Default How to: Replacing the Fuel Pressure Regulator on a 1987-1991 F-Series and Bronco

Howdy guys, this should cover 1987-1991 F-Series and Bronco's with the 5.0l/5.8l, I would think that the 4.9l is almost the same and in the general area.

This is replacing the Fuel Pressure Regulator(FPR) on these trucks.

Tools Needed:
4mm Hex/Allen Key
Zipties(I'll explain why)
Flathead/Standard Screwdriver
Patience

So what we first wanna do is check our new FPR out, make sure it's got new O-Ring and gasket, make sure it's not tore or cracked, and make sure the FPR is not dented or anything.

Mine is a Standard Motor Products(SMP) T-Series FPR, bought from Rockauto for $15:

Check out the gasket and o-ring, make sure they aren't cracked or tore, be sure BEFORE you bolt the new FPR on to slick the o-ring with Engine Oil:

Then I check for dents and such, since I ordered this online I want to make sure nothing is dented so I don't have to return ship it:

First thing we do is start the truck up, then climb out, crawl under the steering column to the firewall, on the firewall is this switch:

It is the Inertia Switch, used to shut the fuel off in case of an accident, or for what we're going to do, de-pressurizing the fuel lines, so with your Flathead screwdriver, lift up on the red button, some models don't have the button, you'll have to disconnect the electrical plugin, wait for the engine to sputter and die(mine died immediately), then crank it a few more times. Now pop your hood, get out of the cab, lift the hood, unhook the negative battery cable. In this pic the button is down.

Now begins the work, Unplug the red vacuum line going to the FPR:

Now what I did was push the wiring harness with the wire loom on it out of the way, and then ziptied it to the bracket by the upper plenum/intake:

Clear out what ever else line is in your way, take note of where you unplugged it from, I unplugged the line from the Brake Booster and the line coming from the Cruise Canister to the intake.

Now we can have fairly good access to the FPR, it is held in by three 4mm Hex/Allen head screws:

It's a bit of a reach but the screws loosen pulling the key towards you/the front of the vehicle.

Once all three are removed:

Lift the FPR straight up:

Make sure the gasket and o-ring are on the old FPR, and make sure you slicked the new O-ring on the new FPR with engine oil.

Push the new one back in place, and start one screw at a time, it is a bit of a b!@#% but you can get it, took me about 15min, would've been faster had I not kept dropping the screws. Remember, the screws go towards the firewall this time, or cab, either one.

Plug the line back in to the FPR and which ever other line you unplugged. Hook up the negative battery cable, and push the button down/plug back in the electric plug in on the Inertia Switch.

Start the truck and admire your work, should have to crank about 30sec or so before it'll fire.

Now drive it around, should've cured the running rich problem, as well as any hesitation, and it cured my problem where the truck would try and die, then pick back up, then repeat.
Old October 29th, 2012, 06:25 PM

Liked 49 Times in 42 Posts

Also, make sure to remember to plug the Coil wire back in before you start the truck if you unplugged it.
Old October 29th, 2012, 07:06 PM

Liked 36 Times in 30 Posts

1994 F150 XLT ExCab SB 306, 4R70w, 8.8 3.55 open, MSD StreetFire coil, Taylor Siro Pro wires, MSD cap and rotor, 1.72 Roller Rockers, 2º cam advance w/ Cloyes Street True Roller timing set, Flat top Hyperutectic pistons, Flowtech Long Tube headers, Xpipe, High flow Magnaflow converters, Spintech XL Sportsman DIDO muffler.

Old October 4th, 2017, 07:29 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is there a reason I cannot view the images on this forum? I am about to replace the FPR on my 1988 F250 7.5 and liked this write up, I just cannot view the images you have posted
Old October 4th, 2017, 10:25 AM

Liked 27 Times in 24 Posts

Sorry, the image links are no longer valid.

2003 F-150 XL RCSB 2wd 4.2 5 speed 3.55 LS

« 1995 F150 Rotor and Pad Swap | There is no next thread »

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 19
BigBlue79 , bigcreek , bikertrash3531 , bjbuttrey23 , Booba5185 , bronco90 , glc , harrison28 , hillbillypajeeps , imageartifact , IrishKRO , ivysiosi , Jonicker , JSoko , Mcclure45 , mrjustice1324 , purple lady , Russo2 , SlydinClyde