Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > ALL OTHER FORD MODELS > Non Ford Vehicles

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old January 11th, 2014, 09:08 AM

Liked 187 Times in 169 Posts
Exclamation Recall: 2014 Chevrolet Trucks

Recall: 2014 Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra for engine fires
About 303,000 trucks are affected in the US

General Motors is recalling 303,000 pickup trucks in the U.S. to fix engine fires, according to a report from Automotive News.

The 2014 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra have engine software errors that can cause the exhaust components to overheat and cause fires under the hood. Trucks with 4.3-liter V6 and 5.3-liter V8 engines are affected; 6.2-liter V8 models are excluded. GM said it had received reports of eight engine fires, including three from owners. GM, in the recall filing provided early to Automotive News, said owners should "avoid leaving their trucks idling while unattended." A check engine light and a message warning of reduced engine power may show up before the engine possibly catches on fire.

GM will start the recall on Jan. 16 but the report did not specify the exact repair. Owners can call Chevrolet at 1-866-694-6546 and GMC at 1-866-996-9463.

This is the third and largest recall for the new pickup trucks, which were introduced last summer. In October, GM recalled 21,547 2014 Silverado and Sierra pickup trucks to fix seatbacks that could be too weak to protect passengers in a rear-end collision. In July, a few hundred 2014 trucks were recalled to fix passenger airbags that may not fully inflate in a crash.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's sad to here about an American made Truck
I wish FORD would do something about the 5.4 broken spark plugs issue.

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

Old January 11th, 2014, 10:01 AM

Liked 112 Times in 108 Posts

Quote:
I wish FORD would do something about the 5.4 broken spark plugs issue.
They did - they redesigned the heads in mid 08. There will never be a recall because it's not a safety issue. It's no longer a big deal with the extraction tools and techniques that have been developed.

However, I will never own a 5.4 3 valve of any year anyway - even with the redesigned heads, they still used the poorly designed VCT/phaser system.

2003 F-150 XL RCSB 2wd 4.2 5 speed 3.55 LS
Old January 11th, 2014, 03:37 PM

Liked 36 Times in 30 Posts

I believe a couple of spark plug companies developed a 1 piece plug for the 3 valves. I know E3 is one and think Champion is the other. Its a shame that two of the three GM EcoTec3 engines are having this problem. Its sounds quite similar the The EcoBoost 1.6 engine fire problems with it being software related. The common denominator being direct injection. I think there's a lot to be learned and understood about the technology that hasn't. But the obvious would be, higher fuel pressures and under hood heat don't mix.

1994 F150 XLT ExCab SB 306, 4R70w, 8.8 3.55 open, MSD StreetFire coil, Taylor Siro Pro wires, MSD cap and rotor, 1.72 Roller Rockers, 2º cam advance w/ Cloyes Street True Roller timing set, Flat top Hyperutectic pistons, Flowtech Long Tube headers, Xpipe, High flow Magnaflow converters, Spintech XL Sportsman DIDO muffler.

Old January 11th, 2014, 06:01 PM

Liked 112 Times in 108 Posts

Neither the E3 or the Champion plugs have really decent reviews - it seems to be a crapshoot. Some people say they work fine, others say they don't run worth a shit. The latest 2 piece Motorcraft plugs are working best as long as you use the correct antiseize on the shanks.

2003 F-150 XL RCSB 2wd 4.2 5 speed 3.55 LS
Old January 11th, 2014, 06:52 PM

Liked 187 Times in 169 Posts

MotorCraft has redesigned the plug
it no longer has the crimp, but is now some type of weld
it was the crimp that was not holding the electrode shield to the plug body, because of the carbon build-up around the shield it just gave way and came lose and stayed in the head

The new/redesigned plug has the same part # but on the redesigned plug you can see a heat ring around the collar from the new permanent fusion/weld/connection

i don't know about the other brands

at 40,000 miles on my '06 I do believe i will have a new Truck before the existing plugs go bad

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

Last edited by JSoko; January 11th, 2014 at 06:57 PM.