Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > FORD F-100 | F-150 SERIES > 1992-1996 Ford F150

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old December 1st, 2014, 11:38 PM

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Default Brake screw up

My braking had not been what it was several months after doing the F350 conver. The only thing not new was rear drums. Bought a pair a few months ago, cleaned and painted them red and put back in box. Was planning on borrowing friends floor jack but the way I work and he works, just couldn't get together. So I used truck jack today and installed drums. I screwed up because I forgot to clean inside of drums. First braking was awesome, then second time came the vibration. It seems to be a little less after driving about 10 miles to store, but is there anything I need to do to remedy this, or will this go away with wear?

1993 F150 XLT, 5.8 with E40D, Tow and Handling Package. Fully loaded from factory as truck was special order. Mods: Extang Snap on bed cover. 2" drop in rear, Six Liter Tuneup, NOS 66-72 Ford Air Foil Antenna, Planet Auto Red Ford Oval (grille). Diamond Clear Headlight Package, Bumper Guards, F350 Brake Conversion, Slotted/Drilled Front Rotors, 3 row alum radiator with Mk VIII elec fan. and much more to come!
Old December 4th, 2014, 01:25 PM

Liked 188 Times in 170 Posts

it should go away

in my doings if I had a vibration it was caused by a worn cutter on the lathe from turning a drum or disc

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

Old December 4th, 2014, 07:14 PM

Liked 36 Times in 34 Posts

drive it like ya stole it for a while

click below to see my FTC Gallery

Don't forget those that came before you! Be proud of who you are and where your from.

“No damn man kills me and lives.” Confederate Lieutenant General, Nathan Bedford Forrest

Old December 5th, 2014, 07:34 AM

Liked 188 Times in 170 Posts

there is a certain bedding-in procedure for new brakes

I added an artical about this here but can't find it

see some of these
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...20new%20brakes

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

Last edited by JSoko; December 5th, 2014 at 07:37 AM.
Old December 7th, 2014, 08:45 PM

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

I read about that in Hot Rod about a year ago. I thought it only pertained to front disks. Anyway, I pulled drums off, cleaned real good and they looked and felt good. Cleaned shoes and noticed at the top and bottom of both leader and secondary a rough area. Took some fairly gritty sand paper and cleaned them up. Noticed at top of leader when I started sanding high and low spots. Got looking and feeling pretty good but still have vibration at times. Sometimes they are smooth as silk and on a hard brake, vibrates like hell. I think my only recourse is new shoes and have drums lightly turned. Not happy with the EBC's on front either. May change them too. I changed plugs today with side gapped ASF32 Motorcraft. Drove it just on a two mile round trip and seemed to notice a good difference. I also checked the timing and seems it went back to 10 BTDC. The new MSD has short wires so it is hard to get to 13. I was going to put it on 14 as I've read you can go all the way to 16. Reason for side gapped and timing increase, I went home to Tn Thanksgiving and only got a 1.5 mpg increase. Very disappointed. It has seemed to get far better city which is odd. Got timing on 13 for sure so I'll see. All 8 plugs were almost white as cotton with the exception of front and back on drs side. They were slightly a light beige. #4 was white so the PVC reroute worked great. Thanks Booba. Still looking for a 80 amp relay. I have found two now on ebay, but they are 5 pin. I understand the fifth pin is for running both speeds so I assume it will work. I sure hate changing those plugs on right bank, but I can do back now almost as easy as rest. Two short, 1med and 1 long extension with a swivel and out it comes. Been busy. Thanks for the replies and love the avatar J.(wish that was me at times.:) ) Oh, had my first real date last night and went well. Very special lady. Will try to get on here more. Hate to see the site so slow. Ya'll take care and have a good night.

1993 F150 XLT, 5.8 with E40D, Tow and Handling Package. Fully loaded from factory as truck was special order. Mods: Extang Snap on bed cover. 2" drop in rear, Six Liter Tuneup, NOS 66-72 Ford Air Foil Antenna, Planet Auto Red Ford Oval (grille). Diamond Clear Headlight Package, Bumper Guards, F350 Brake Conversion, Slotted/Drilled Front Rotors, 3 row alum radiator with Mk VIII elec fan. and much more to come!

Last edited by The Frankster; December 9th, 2014 at 07:48 AM.