Vote

Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Log Out

Ford Truck Club Forum > THE LOUNGE > General Discussion

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old August 23rd, 2009, 06:06 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Is your computer running?

For a computer programming class, I sat directly across from someone, and our computers were facing away from each other.

A few minutes into the class, she got up to leave the room. I reached between our computers and switched the inputs for the keyboards. She came back and started typing and immediately got a distressed look on her face.

She called the teacher over and explained that no matter what she typed, nothing would happen. The teacher tried everything. By this time I was hiding behind my monitor and quaking red-faced.

I started to type, "Leave me alone!"

They both jumped back, silenced. "What the . . . " the teacher said. I typed, "I said leave me alone!"

The kid got real upset. "I didn't do anything to it, I swear!" It was all I could do to keep from laughing out loud. The conversation between them and HAL 2000 went on for an amazing five minutes.

Me: "Don't touch me!"

Her: "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hit your keys that hard."

Me: "Who do you think you are anyway?!" Etc. Finally, I couldn't contain myself any longer and fell out of my chair laughing.

After they had realized what I had done, they both turned beet red. Funny, I never got more than a C- in that class.

Big T

Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

Old November 13th, 2011, 09:25 PM

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT_2000 View Post
After they had realized what I had done, they both turned beet red. Funny, I never got more than a C- in that class.
During the mid '80s and while serving in the military, I attended computer science classes in a SoCal community college. The course professor was an anti-military individual with a pony-tail who wore jeans type overalls and a paisley tie. He wore a red sneaker on one foot and a green sneaker on the other foot. I doubt he knew that I knew that he switched the sneakers around during the week.

During one section of the semester course we were required to build a fake 5 person company and manage it using the latest software and hardware. The management aspect had to be complete with payroll, HR, product inventory, you can guess the rest.. it had to be a full fledged company. The records for the fake company had to be simulated for a two week pay period showing payroll deductions to each of the fictitious five employees.

The aspect of concern was the budget needed for 5 employees and their computers to include all hardware and software tailored for each of the five departments.

The section's course grade was dependent on the overall use and efficiency of the hardware and software solutions and bottom line cost per computer station. The professor also informed us that the equipment had to allow for 'future expansion'!

Not only would the best system get a really high grade but the winner would also get a new computer.

While everyone else had gone off into their own worlds beating their respective heads into mush, I used Computer Shopper. This was a huge, fat, everything in it type of magazine regarding computers. Remember, this was in the mid '80s so nothing was sacrilegious - any and everything was in there for computers.

I managed to design 5 computing systems for less than $1500 per station while others hovered at $2500 per systems.

Anyhow, a very large and pimply faced lady won the new computer. Her system design cost $2100 each and mine was $1500 each and had more options and more software. In the 1970-80's shareware ruled the globe!

During one of the class breaks she got her new computer and she had completely eaten the new chocolate mini-computer before the next break. To my knowledge, she never shared a single bite.

Big T - BTW, I got a C in that course....

During the following semester year the 'Sneaker' professor stayed in CS-100 (Computer Sciences) and while I was assisting another professor in CS-200, he came in and complained how the very same woman who had previously won his coveted and most precious 'mini-computer' had taken all of his pencils to erase all of his floppy disks......

What we leave behind are our words and our deeds. Nothing else really matters.

Last edited by HawaiianF150; November 14th, 2011 at 12:52 AM.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 7
BigT67 , HawaiianF150 , Klitch , nine5flareside , Russo2 , whitesleeper , WORLDWITHIN@VERIZON.NET