Vote

Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Log Out

Ford Truck Club Forum > RANGER | MAZDA-B > 1993-1997 Ford Ranger

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old December 3rd, 2011, 02:44 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Eliminate power steering

HI,IM NEW. I LIVE IN FL. I HAVE A 1994 RANGER 4 CYL. I WANT TO REMOVE MY A/C AND POWER STEERING. I KNOW THERE IS A SMALLER SERPINTINE BELT. MY QUESTION/PROBLEM HAS TO DO WITH THE POWER STEERING.
IF YOU JUST STOP THE BELT TO A POWER STEERING PUMP ,THEN THE STEERING EFFORT IS MORE THAN RAMBO-LIKE. SO ONE SOLUTION IS TO CHANGE THE WORM BOX TO A MANUAL WITH MORE TURNING FORCE.
I WONDER IF THERE ARE ANY OTHER METHODS ? IF I DRAIN THE FLUID TO THE P/S BOX THEN THERE WOULD BE NO FLUID FEEDBACK TO THE PUMP. WOULD THAT ALLOW THE STEERING EFFORT TO BE REASONABLE ? ALSO,COULD A PERSON CHANGE THE GEARING INSIDE A P/S WORM BOX TO GIVE MORE LEVERAGE ?
I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY ADVICE ON THIS ISSUE. THANKS jim
Old December 3rd, 2011, 03:03 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Howdy Jim, welcome to the family!

I don't think draining the P/S would allow a reasonable steering effort. Since the system is a hydraulic one, it's not meant to be used sans fluid.

Just to clarify, if you do the p/s draining, you won't have the serpentine connected to the pump right?

I don't know about changing out the worm box for more leverage.

Double(. Y .)Dee
SSG, TXARNG
OIF III ('05) & OIF VIII ('10)
Least knowledgeable when it comes to the whirly, spinny things.

How To Use The FTC Gallery
Check out the Truck of the Month forum and vote!
2004-2008 F-150 Specific How To's:
VIN Decoder
Gotts Mod - 4.6L (5.4L similar)
Big 3 Upgrade
Seat Removal
Interior Door Disassembly SCrew (RCab/SCab similar)
Interior Trim/Carpet Removal

"Fighting is not handing out cookies, it's gunfire and rockets, and there will be casualties." - Haji Khalifa Mohammad Shah
Old December 3rd, 2011, 03:13 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I PLAN TO BUY THE SERP BELT THAT DRIVES ONLY THE ALTERNATOR AND FAN. I WANT THE A/C AND P/S GONE. LESS COMPLEXITY AND GETTER MILEAGE. I LIKE TO DEVO AUTOMOBILES- LIGHTEN THEM UP. I EVEN USE A WICKER PASSENGER SEAT. CRAZY, I KNOW. THANKS FOR REPLY. jim
Old December 3rd, 2011, 08:03 PM

Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts

There is literally not enough to be gained by deleting a pump to gain hp or mileage.
If working correctly these pumps have little to no drag on them. Keep the pump in good shape and it won't be sticking robbing your hp or mpg.
Old December 3rd, 2011, 08:20 PM

Liked 188 Times in 170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russo2 View Post
There is literally not enough to be gained by deleting a pump to gain hp or mileage.
If working correctly these pumps have little to no drag on them. Keep the pump in good shape and it won't be sticking robbing your hp or mpg.
but, there again your talking to a guy that put in a wicker seat

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

Old December 8th, 2011, 11:58 PM

Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts

The only time power steering takes any noticeable amount of power is when you are turning, and the pump has to generate more pressure to turn the wheels. So basically the only time you'd notice a power increase is if you were doing figure 8s. Even then, it wouldn't be all that much power.

89 F-150 5.0l AOD 2x4, 3.55 LS(+4), Converted to HO Roller, 3g Alt, GT40Ps, Y-pipe, Rerouted PCV, Dual Taurus E-fans, Explorer Injectors, Remote ICM, DIY Cold air, Rubber Vacuum System, Tranny cooler, Remote Tranny filter, Saginaw P\S swap, F350 Brakes, more.

Old December 9th, 2011, 12:26 AM

Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts

And who wants to try to do a figure 8 with no power steering? Dude's gunna have a trucker wheel in there with a handicap knob and well there goes the weight loss from a wicker seat, eh?
Reminds me of the ricers removing their back seat for weight reduction.. I digress.
Old December 9th, 2011, 05:11 AM

Liked 188 Times in 170 Posts

we call them knobs on the steering wheel, suicide knobs

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

Old December 11th, 2011, 11:14 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I APPRECIATE THE COMMENTS. LET ME GIVE AN UPDATE. I INSTALLED THE SMALLER SERP. BELT AND ELIMINATED THE A/C AND P/S PUMP. I HAD READ AND EXPERIENCED THAT OLDER P/S SYSTEMS WHEN DISABLED WOULD HAVE A LOT OF PLAY IN THE STEERING WHEEL. HOWEVER ,BY 1994, THE P/S SYSTEM DOES NOT DO THIS. THERE IS NO PLAY.
STEERING EFFORT WAS MODERATELY HIGH AT SPEEDS BELOW 10 MPH. THEN IT FELT EXACTLY NORMAL AND SIMILIAR TO BEFORE DISABLE MODE. WHEN I REMOVE THE FLUID CONNECTION TO THE PUMP ,I MAY EXPERIENCE EVEN LESS EFFORT AT THE BELOW 10 MPH RANGE.
I AM ALSO CHECKING ABOUT ACQUIRING A MANUAL RECIRCULATING GEARBOX.I TRIED ADVANCE AND PARTS GEEK. ADVANCE WOULD NOT TAKE MY POWER BOX AS A CORE CHARGE AND DID NOT THINK THAT MY A MANUAL WOULD JUST BOLT UP TO MY TRUCKS FRAME. PARTS GEEK WILL GET BACK TO ME ABOUT SAME ? THIS WEEK.
A PICTURE OF THE MANUAL BOX SHOWS 3 BOLTS IN ABOUT AN EQUAL TRIANGLE. MY TRUCK FRAME HAS 3 BOLTS, BUT NOT IN AN EQUAL TRIANGLE. THE SPECS ON THE MANUAL SHOW AN 3/4 INCH OUTPUT SHAFT, MINE APPEARS TO BE 7/8 INCHES. ANSO THERE IS A SPLINE COUNT INVOLVED IN THE SPECS. SO, BOTTOM LINE -THIS MAY NOT BE AN EASY BOLT-ON SWITCH.
THIS IS WHY I WAS HOPING THAT SOMEONE IN YOUR CLUB HAD DONE THIS BEFORE MYSELF. I WILL SEND ANOTHER MSG TO JUSTIFY MY REASONING BEHIND THIS PERCEIVE - OU OF BOX-THINKING. THANKS, jim
Old December 12th, 2011, 01:09 AM

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

yikes - not even with a ten foot pole....

What we leave behind are our words and our deeds. Nothing else really matters.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 19
A/Ox4 , ASwaff400 , BigBlue79 , bikertrash3531 , Booba5185 , Bubi , DoubleDee , HawaiianF150 , herbz , JSoko , Klitch , marmaduke , MartyleP , nine5flareside , Ol Red , Patch87 , Russo2 , skatebowd , WORLDWITHIN@VERIZON.NET