Remember Me?
       Join for free!

Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > FORD F-250 | F-350 SERIES | SUPER DUTY > 2011-2016 Ford F250 | F350

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old September 2nd, 2014, 04:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 2015 F-350 SD PowerStroke Trailer Brake Issue

Hi.

I recently bought a 2015 F-350 Super-Duty PowerStroke with the full towing package. I then bought a 2014 Dutchmen 25-foot travel trailer, bumper-pull (new...just purchased a year later).

Everything is great with the combo except I cannot get the trailer brakes to engage at all when towing. They do engage when I pull the break-away switch plug out so the trailer dealer says that proves that the trailer brakes are fine. They're electric and they either work or they don't. Period.

I've had the truck into the dealer, too, and it looks good in all of the tests that they performed.

So both dealers claim that the braking system is working as designed yet I still minimal (if any) trailer braking.

Details:

1. I hooked up the trailer to the truck ready to tow (electric and mechanical).

2. Truck LCD shows "Trailer connected" or the like.

3. I set the Gain to 6, as instructed in the owners manual.

4. The pressure is set to the default: Low.

5. I get the truck rolling to about 25mph and apply the pincher switch: Nothing.

6. I increase the gain, step-by-step, until it's max'd out at 10. Still no response from the trailer brakes (or, if there is, it's so minimal that I cannot sense it). Certainly no squealing of the brakes on the pavement as there should be if the gain is set too high.

7. Keep adjusting things until the pressure setting is on High. Same results.

So now I have two dealers claiming it's not a problem with their equipment but I still have a truck-trailer combo that's not getting any trailer brake application at all.

I read in another forum's posts that it was a blown fuse but surely a dead circuit would have shown up on the dealer tests (he said, hopefully).

Another post said to push the electrical connector into the socket really hard but I've been doing that without success, too.

I just read one that said he found success by prying the metal contacts out a bit inside the truck's electical socket so they got a good contact. I have't tried that yet but will this evening when I get home from work.

Other than smashed contacts in the plug, any other ideas of how to get the truck and trailer talking?

Thanks!

bc
Old September 2nd, 2014, 05:25 PM

Liked 187 Times in 169 Posts

??? have you hitch it up and taken truck and trailer to the dealers

here's what I would do
it involves a test light

read this first - http://www.fordtruckclub.net/forum/s...ght=test+light

check the contacts on the truck with the brakes off then on make a note of which contacts are hot

now plug the trailed in and check the connector wires on the trailer

if red was hot it should be hot on the trailer wiring do this to each one and so on
that way your trouble shooting should show if there is a connection or not
keep notes of the wires and there status
it may be that you can get power near the hitch but I would also go further back on the trailer to see if you still have power
now you have something to hash out with the Dealers

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

Last edited by JSoko; September 2nd, 2014 at 05:29 PM.
Old September 10th, 2014, 03:57 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Ground issue on trailer?

04 FX4 Scab 5.4

God, Guns & Guts made America Free; Let's Fight to Keep all Three

I'm a supporting member

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 8
ASwaff400 , billc , glc , JSoko , MR_Pete , Russo2 , sbellinghausen , The Bone