Remember Me?
       Join for free!

Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > FORD F-250 | F-350 SERIES | SUPER DUTY > 2008-2010 Ford F250 | F350

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old October 4th, 2010, 10:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unhappy LED Tail Light Problem

I'm pulling my hair out over this one. I hope someone has a solution.
I'm trying to replace the tail lights on my 2008 F250 SD with full LED assemblies . The actual installation is as advertised ("Plug and Play"); un-plug the factory tail lights, plug in the new tail lights and screw them in place. Easy enough.
Here's the problem: The LED assemblies don't light up correctly. Both light alright as tail lights, but when I add the hazard flashers, the left side flashes at low intensity (not bright as a signal should), and the right side doesn't light up at all.
I understand that with LED's, a "no load" flasher is sometimes needed so the system doesn't "think" that a bulb is burned out, but this seems like more than a flasher issue. Also, where the heck is the turn signal flasher?! The owner's manual doesn't even mention it, and I don't see anything in the fuse panel that even looks like a flasher.
I'm feeling like a rookie on this one and really could use some advise.
Old October 4th, 2010, 11:07 PM

Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts

Two words: resistor chip

LED bulbs draw far less power so your trucks computer system thinks the bulb is blown out. The trick is to use resistor chips to basically create the draw needed so that the computer can think that everything is as it should be and the bulbs are pulling what they should be pulling in order to work. Look into high wattage resistor chips (able to handle 50 w).

To fix your Turn Signal Flashing problem, all you need are 2 Resistors.

The values depend on how many led bulbs you placed on the car. For example, If you only installed 2 of them, one in each side of the tail light, then you need 2 6-8ohm resistors. The wattage on these can be 20-50 watts.

If you installed 4 led bulbs, 2 in front and 2 in the rear tail lights of your truck, you will need to install 2 3-4 ohm resistors (in the front or rear).

If your tail lights or brake lights are not working correctly, you will also need to do the resistor mod. This time, you may want to try a higher wattage resistor, because the brake/tail lights are on continiously and not flashing, and if the wattage is too low on the resistor it could melt.

We have a member on here by the name of Redhot150, he has changed just about every bulb in his truck to LED's. Until he can swing by and leave a reply, you may want to look up his old LED posts on here.

Old October 5th, 2010, 11:00 AM

Location: Live on the outskirts of Philly, little town called Collingdale.
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Also, if the units are "plug and play" they usually have all resistors built in. You may want to give the manufacturer or distributor a call. You may just have a bad set of lights.

A tattoo is a permanent symbol of temporary insanity

Old October 5th, 2010, 12:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What brand are they? I just did mine with RECON and had no problems, plug and play.

BATES

"If you see this in your rear view mirror.........MOVE!"
Banks & PHP Powered
4wheels are for guys who can't drive with 2

Old October 5th, 2010, 10:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. I think I'll add on the resistors and see what happens.
This is the THIRD set of lights I've tried, and they have all acted the same way. The first two sets were ANZO. After the first set of those, ANZO told me to return them because they thought they were a bad batch. After the second set of ANZO's, they more or less blew me off. So, I ordered a set of SPEC-D's, and it turns out that they are EXACTLY the same lights as the ANZO's just in a different box.
If this doesn't work, I may try the RECON's.
Thanks again for your help!
Old October 5th, 2010, 11:39 PM

Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts

They are all the same LED's... even RECON. They are manufactured in China then bought in bulk, packaged in some nice box and sold to you. God bless America!

Old October 6th, 2010, 12:28 PM

Location: Live on the outskirts of Philly, little town called Collingdale.
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Unfortunately Webby is correct on this, whether you pay $100 or $500, they are all the same product.

A tattoo is a permanent symbol of temporary insanity

Old October 11th, 2010, 04:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The load resistors are built into the units on the "plug and play" sets. However, the load resistor is only there to trick the truck into thinking that the bulb isn't burned out due to low power draw....which is what causes the fast blinking. I don't believe the load resistor would have any effect on the brightness of the unit though....that sounds like an issue with the circuit board/unit itself...not the resistor. The manufacturer should definitely replace that set for you.

Matt

2007 F-150 FX4

I say try, if you never try you can never succeed.

Old October 13th, 2010, 11:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks, RedHot. This is the third set of lights. They have all had a heavy square block wired to the backside, which I assumed was a load resister. They're advertised as "plug and play" but they're just not working out. Pretty disappointing. I thought this would be easy. I'll keep trying. I'm going to have LED's on this thing one way or another! Thanks again.
Old October 19th, 2010, 11:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Update on the LED's:
I'm shipping them back. I've tried what I can to get these things to work right, but it's just not happening. I had the fleet electrical guru at the company I work for look at it today. He spent and hour and a half on it without getting them right.
So, while I wait for my third return credit for LED tail lights, I'll decide whether this is worth all the hassle or not.
Ya know, the newer factory tail lights almost look like LED's....hmmm....

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 5
Dirtydog , hmrhed1 , michaelfoth , topdogdad1 , topncc