Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > FORD BRONCO | BRONCO II > 1980-1986 Ford Bronco

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old October 11th, 2011, 01:58 AM

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
Default Future New Process 435 swap

So I'll start this off by saying this, I had the 79 fixed and running well when I noticed a weird sound and a clacking noise coming from the 400 and it just shut down, I couldn't find anything when I popped both valve covers off, so I un-bolted the driverside head and was graced by a dented exhaust valve on cylinder 8, the same valve was bent also, and finally I drained the oil only to find little metal chunks in the oil, took the oil pan off and found a shelled bearing.... Decision was made to park it and part it out, I've decided to keep the Np435 (which will be addressed in the next paragraph) and sell the remaining parts, I've already made back what I bought it for plus about 2-3 hundred maybe a little more so another truck is in the horizon.

This is about my 1986 Bronco XLT, it is currently stock w/ the c6 auto transmission, we've been through hell and back thrice w/ the Flex-Plate and starters, and I can tell in the future(IDK how long) it's going to need another Flex-Plate and starter. For some reason ever since we got the Bronco last October(around the 16th) it's ate starter after starter after starter until finally it needed a new Flex-Plate which I received when I bought the Bronc, I think it was the 4th starter when it finally decided to round the teeth off on the Flex-Plate and smoke another starter(literally smoke was coming out of it!).

I managed to change it on my "Redneck Runway" which was 2 6ft sheets of 3/4" plywood as I have a gravel driveway, I borrowed a tranny jack from a friend and set off w/ my father to change it out, it took us 3 days to change it(2 was rained out and the 1 was kick-ass do it in a half-day as the friend needs the jack back before opening time on Monday) once it was done it breathed new hope in me, new Flex-Plate and starter and it's still on the same one(so far).

What brings about this thread(which should also help others) is my wanting another Bronc w/ a 4spd and to get rid of the auto tranny(though there isn't anything wrong w/ it). Something is "off kilter" letting it keep eating starters and Flex-Plates so the solution I came up w/ is kill 3 deer w/ one gun, I get the manual tranny I want, it'll quit eating starters and Flex-Plates, and I don't have to worry about changing the tranny filter and gasket every 30,000 miles as the driving where we live is considered "Extreme Conditions" and we've been known to put 800-900 miles on it in a month, currently it's at 290 on the tripometer and it's only the 10th...

So plans to get tranny "Bronc Ready":
351w Flywheel and Clutch
SBF New Process 435 bellhousing(hog head as my dad calls it)
4x4 tailshaft and tailshaft adapter to mate the tranny to t-case
New Fluid*
Needs a d-shaft from a manual tranny Bronc
De-Greasified on the outside and a fresh coat of Ford Blue engine enamel
New speedo gear*
Steering Column*.

I have all the bracketry, clutch and break pedal assembly and the I like to call it "Pushrod" that engages the clutch, basically everything to make bolt the tranny back in and hook it all back up...

(*)= I already have it..

This will be updated when I go to do the swap which will be IDK, so stay tuned for the next installment as it will be the parts gathering process...

Last edited by BigBlue79; October 11th, 2011 at 02:01 AM.
Old October 11th, 2011, 07:26 AM

Liked 187 Times in 169 Posts

too bad about the '79

I'm gona have to come up with a reason for the starter/flexplate issue

"The American people, North and South, went into the Civil War as citizens of their respective states, they came out as subjects … what they thus lost they have never got back."

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

Old October 11th, 2011, 12:00 PM

351w Clutch kit locally is $137.84 out the door.
1 place so far can't find a 351w flywheel or Np435 bellhousing as the bellhousing is "pretty rare".
Old October 15th, 2011, 11:29 PM

So, I can get a 10" clutch or 11" clutch but the price between the 2 is astounding! $137.84 for a 10" Clutch Kit, $245.87 for an 11", what the hell make's the 11" so much more money?