Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > FORD BRONCO | BRONCO II > 1980-1986 Ford Bronco

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old December 21st, 2011, 07:56 PM

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
Default 1986 Bronco "Re"build thread.

Well thought I would do a build thread on the Bronco, I see no where else to put "in progress build threads" so I'll just put it here in the Bronco section.

This is my 1986 Bronco XLT a little after the guy brought it to me on a trailer:

Somebody put a Highrise Dual Plane Offenhauser 360* intake and Holley 750cfm Dualflow Carburetor on the 351w H.O.(which BTW is stock). It would eat almost 1/2 tank of gas in 40 miles, so I told dad they absolutely had to go, 2 days at the local pull a part netted me a 351w 2bbl Aluminum intake, stock valve covers, a bigger steering wheel, a 2150 carburetor which was broke and I didn't realize it until I got back home so I made a mad dash back over there the next day and couldn't find a 2150 off of a truck they were gone, the only vehicle that had a 2150 was a 1977 Econoline Van which also had a 351w, so I took all of the stuff to mount the carb exactly like it was on the van, there is a base plate that the PCV valve goes to as there is no PCV hole on the carburetor.

So with the parts gathered I spent a day pulling the old carb/intake/valve covers off and swapping everything and installing new gaskets as I went, the reason it got new valve covers was the chrome Moroso's were literally slicing the gaskets when they were tightened to seal the gasket.

With that done I replaced the cracked headlight doors with ones I "thought" were better only to find out later that they are fiberglass and are just as bad as the original ones so I'm on the hunt for a new set of chrome ones.

More in a bit.
Old December 22nd, 2011, 03:28 AM

Liked 187 Times in 169 Posts

what are "headlight doors" ???

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

Old December 22nd, 2011, 09:17 AM

The chrome piece's around the headlight that the parklight lense sits in, LMC Truck calls them "Headlight Doors" so do Rockauto, O'Reilly's and National Parts Depot.
Old December 22nd, 2011, 09:24 AM

When I traded the guy for the Bronco I also received 1 Detroit Locked 9" rearend, an Edelbrock 351w Performer 4bbl intake, 3 33x12.50x15's and one LT365x85x15, a set of Heddman Longtube Headers, 2 Flowmaster 40's, complete dual exhaust from headers to chrome tips.
Old December 22nd, 2011, 06:45 PM

Well, with everything(except the heads) up top replaced I did a much needed tune-up and recorded that I get anywhere from 13-16 mpg's 16 if I baby it and 13 if'n I feel like romping on it, and believe it or not it actually feels like it has more power with the 2bbl than the 4bbl. Next I did a front brake job and discovered one grooved rotor on the driver side of the Bronco:

I cleaned and repacked the wheel bearings, cleaned the lockouts and all of the internal parts, replaced the bad rotor and put on Brake Best Organic pads.

Then we replaced the rear main seal, this thing was leaking like a sieve when I first got it, we actually did this ourselves at my uncle's house with 3 floorjacks which took 6 days... The rear main was so bad that when I got the flexplate off it could've just fallen out, replaced it with a $20 National.

Next on the list was the starter, it would grind and grind and it was an original 1985 Motorcraft starter(probably the original just rebuilt multiple times) so off to O'Reilly's for a rebuilt LLT Warranted starter and a shim, that went well for a few months until the flexplate went south, we were being stranded everywhere we went and I was kicking myself in the ass for not changing the flexplate when I did the rear main(I also got this brand new flexplate with the Bronco when the guy delivered it), this time when we did it it was at my house with a "redneck runway" 2 pieces of 8ft 3/4" plywood and a tranny jack this time from a friend, took me 2 days to change it out because of rain.

With that out of the way, the front crankshaft seal needed replaced, this can come in one of 2 ways, the seal by itself for $20 or a Timing cover gasket set with the seal for $20, IMO it's more economical to buy the Gasket set for a later date so you'll have it, it took me one day to do it.

Next I replaced the rear shocks as it felt like a seesaw when you'd hit a bump so I bought a pair of LLT warranted Monroe-Matic shocks at O'Reilly's for $50 and I've still gotta replace the fronts.

I've done the oil pan gasket 3 times now but can't get it to quit leaking as I have to have an engine hoist to get the engine up enough to get the pan off, it still leaks about a quart every 800-1000 miles, which is better than it was.

Next it got some new exhaust, notice the word some, it had 2 gutted cats and some pipe and that was it when I got it, I took it to a muffler shop and had the rear cat cut off, one of the Flowmaster 40's welded on and a side exit angled tip installed:

Last thing done was I primed the hood and rear wheel wells earlier this month to stop the rusting, and now I'm trying to decide between the paint color's from summit racing which I'll post up in a bit:
Old December 22nd, 2011, 11:33 PM

I've been looking through the summit racing catalog and I think I've narrowed the paint colors I want down, keep in mind this will still be Tu-Tone Blue and White, just a lighter shade of Blue than what's on the Bronco. The two colors are Blue Sky Metallic and Bahama Blue Metallic:
B S Metallic:

B B Metallic:

Now I've just gotta pick the color, I'm leaning towards the Blue Sky Metallic.
Old December 23rd, 2011, 08:20 PM

Rotated the tires today, found a pretty good boo boo in the sidewall of the right rear tire, so that came off and became the spare tire. Also checked the pads and shoes, cap and rotor bug, front end fluid, tranny fluid and transfer case fluid.

So the list of things needing replaced:
Rearend fluid and gasket
Oil pan gasket
Starter Solenoid
Lockouts
D-side and P-side window motors.

These are the "essentials" as of right now.
Old December 24th, 2011, 10:56 AM

I like the B S Metallic:

Old February 5th, 2012, 07:48 PM

Got the Flexplate replaced the other day, also bought a new solenoid, a word of the wise: DO NOT BUY the BWD Premium Solenoid, I went through 3 of them before switching to the regular BWD and now it works great! Advance Auto has some reviews on the Premium that detailed the same problem mine had, the "new" solenoid would stick closed and let it keep cranking.
Old February 6th, 2012, 11:41 AM

I've had the same thing happen on my (new to me) Harley (Electra Glide)
added a ground kill switch