Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > GARAGE TALK > Garage Talk: Paint & Detailing

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old July 11th, 2010, 09:22 AM

Liked 187 Times in 169 Posts
Default Useless Fuel in Drive

I was at the local watering hole last nite, and got into a disscussion about how in NASCAR the drivers will coast, with either the clutch in or shift to neutral to save gas. And Big Mike said he does that all the time when driving his Truck (auto trans) in traffic and shifts to neutral when at a stop. Well in comes Keven Thompsom (mister know-it-all, and ace mechanic) and after a few drinks and some time later it was found, and agreed upon that Big Mike is actualy useing more gas. Bottom line is, it's not necessary to put an automatic in neutral while sitting at a traffic light. Leaving it in Drive will use less fuel.
Here is Keven Thompsons take " the injectors are shut down completely when coasting in gear, while ideling in neutral still consumes fuel"
Where do I go from here??

comments and suggestions welcomed.

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

Last edited by JSoko; July 11th, 2010 at 04:15 PM.
Old July 11th, 2010, 08:16 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I've always heard, and agreed that when coasting with an automatic in gear is more efficient than neutral. always heard the injectors shut off, and watching my wideband I have to agree when it shows full lean numbers (maxing out on air)

built and blueprinted Lightning powerplant with p&p heads, race built 4r70w by Darrin @ BC-Automotive
1-Ton swap Dyno 436/475
Transmission saga. avoid www.Engineworldusa.com, junk import motors.

Old July 11th, 2010, 09:06 PM

Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts

So for those with automatic vehicles, it is more fuel efficient to leave the car in gear when stopped at a light rather than put the vehicle in nuetral. To be honest, I never really thought about putting my truck into nuetral when stopped at a light in order to save on fuel.

I use 91 octane, sometimes 93 so any type of deal on gas for me went out the window at that point, not to mention I now have a cam and engine that just love gas more than I do!

Very good post for those who try to conserve their fuel and not burn it right away.

Old July 11th, 2010, 09:23 PM

Liked 187 Times in 169 Posts

I shifted to neutral when ideling for any period of time not for fuel savings, but thinking Iam saving the torque converter/ trans
as the RPM's do rise

especially when I had the built '77 F100
but then again it sure did clunk hard when I went to D

on my other Trucks they will for now on out stay in D

heck whats twenty cents

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

Last edited by JSoko; July 11th, 2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old July 11th, 2010, 10:43 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsoko View Post
heck whats twenty cents
In some cases, an overdraft fee.

built and blueprinted Lightning powerplant with p&p heads, race built 4r70w by Darrin @ BC-Automotive
1-Ton swap Dyno 436/475
Transmission saga. avoid www.Engineworldusa.com, junk import motors.

Old July 12th, 2010, 02:05 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsoko View Post
I shifted to neutral when ideling for any period of time not for fuel savings, but thinking Iam saving the torque converter/ trans
as the RPM's do rise

especially when I had the built '77 F100
but then again it sure did clunk hard when I went to D

on my other Trucks they will for now on out stay in D

heck whats twenty cents
2 dimes

Big T

Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

Old February 15th, 2011, 12:24 AM

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default leave in or out of gear ????

ok at a stop light leave it in gear 20 cents - 2 dims - 1 cup of gas that aint didly . HOWEVER CHECK FOR YOUR YEAR AND MODEL OF TRANS TO SEE IF IT STILL PUMPS IN NEUTRAL OR PARK AND IF IT DOES AND YOU END UP SETTING FOR A WHILE TAKE IT OUT OF DRIVE .... ok the reason simple IF you run over sized tires have a OLD clutch fan or a ELEC fan a engine thats been bored . the trans can and WILL get hot .. most tranny have the cooler built into the rad which runs around 180-200 death to a trans STARTS at 220ish .. Install a trans temp guage YOU will be amazed how much it can change and how fast it will do it .... in 9 seconds i would go from 100 to 230 and i had a 16 row ext cooler with its own fan . That only happened when i was doing truck pulls . My moto the more i know about what my truck is doing the more i can save in repairs down the road i dont know about others out and about BUT my money tree isnt growing that much 3.19 pr gallon of gas!!
Old February 15th, 2011, 02:31 AM

Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts

Old thread buuuuttttt. I have never heard of the injectors shutting down or any of that stuff, I don't deal with slughboxes I just push in the clutch at a red light
However I have heard that it is not good for an automatic transmission to coast in neutral, don't know why just what I heard. And doesn't an auto idle pretty low even in gear?
And if you are going through the trouble to put it in neutral, why not park? Only a little further and then you don't have to hold the brake.

Last edited by Russo2; February 15th, 2011 at 02:35 AM.
Old February 27th, 2013, 02:57 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

x2 on old thread.. was brought here by seeing it in the "Similar Threads" box below. Regardless... The only time I shift to N at a stop light is if it's a long cycle. Save your tranny! I agree with what whitesleeper says above. You can possibly overheat the tranny if you leave it in gear to long without moving. I haven't witnessed this with my 2 trucks (I don't have a tranny temp gauge and desire one badly), but I have with my tanker.

Granted, it's a military vehicle, I've accidentally left one in drive with the park brakes on for a few minutes, luckily, I came back to the cab to check on something, realized it was still in drive, placed it in neutral and noticed the tranny temp was up in the 220'ish range. Oops.

Back to our trucks. Also, another reason I'll put it in N or maybe P, is if I've braked to hard. Get them hot pads off that hot rotor and some air space between. I don't want to warp them anymore than they already are. Yeah, the distance between pad and rotor isn't much when not applied, but it's something. You might scoff at my reasoning, but, I am entitled to my own opinion damint.

Double(. Y .)Dee
SSG, TXARNG
OIF III ('05) & OIF VIII ('10)
Least knowledgeable when it comes to the whirly, spinny things.

How To Use The FTC Gallery
Check out the Truck of the Month forum and vote!
2004-2008 F-150 Specific How To's:
VIN Decoder
Gotts Mod - 4.6L (5.4L similar)
Big 3 Upgrade
Seat Removal
Interior Door Disassembly SCrew (RCab/SCab similar)
Interior Trim/Carpet Removal

"Fighting is not handing out cookies, it's gunfire and rockets, and there will be casualties." - Haji Khalifa Mohammad Shah
Old March 26th, 2013, 01:20 PM

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Maybe old, but some good tips. I would think any pressure off those rotors would be benificial. I'll have to remind myself that when I get those slotted and drilled on.

1993 F150 XLT, 5.8 with E40D, Tow and Handling Package. Fully loaded from factory as truck was special order. Mods: Extang Snap on bed cover. 2" drop in rear, Six Liter Tuneup, NOS 66-72 Ford Air Foil Antenna, Planet Auto Red Ford Oval (grille). Diamond Clear Headlight Package, Bumper Guards, F350 Brake Conversion, Slotted/Drilled Front Rotors, 3 row alum radiator with Mk VIII elec fan. and much more to come!