Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > RANGER | MAZDA-B > 1993-1997 Ford Ranger

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old January 24th, 2012, 08:39 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Ranger 4cyl. Extra spark plugs

MY HAYNES REPAIR MANUAL ON MY 1994 RANGER 2.3L 4CYL. IS VERY WEAK ON ANY WHY QUESTIONS. PARTICULARLY, WHY THE 8 SPARKS ? THE 4 PLUGS ON THE LEFT ENGINE SIDE ARE THE MAIN ONES. THE ENGINE WILL RUN ON JUST THOSE 4 AND THE EXHAUST SIDE PLUGS NOT FUNCTIONING.
BUT, IT RUNS ROUGH. I 1ST ASSUMED THAT THE EXHAUST SIDE PLUGS WERE JUST FOR EMISSIONS. NOW, I DONT KNOW ? I ALSO ASSUMED THAT THESE 2ND 4 PLUGS FIRED AT A DIFFERENT TIME THAN THE MAIN 4 PLUGS. ( PROBABLY LATER ). I ALSO ASSUMED THAT THEY FIRED LATER TO PREVENT DETONATION/ KNOCK. BUT, I READ IN AN OLD SPORTS ENGINE DESIGN BOOK THAT ETHANOL IN GAS TENDED TO PREVENT DETONATION.
SO, NOW I'M BACK AT SQ. ONE. MY ASSUMPTIONS MAY BE WRONG. DOES ANYONE KNOW THE WHY BEHIND THE ENGINE DESIGN ABOUT THE 8 SPARK PLUGS ? APPRECIATE ANY INFO. ----- jim
Old January 24th, 2012, 09:17 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

From what I've seen and read here and there, the 2nd set of plugs were to help with power, fuel economy and emissions. It might have helped prevent detonation as well.

Double(. Y .)Dee
SSG, TXARNG
OIF III ('05) & OIF VIII ('10)
Least knowledgeable when it comes to the whirly, spinny things.

How To Use The FTC Gallery
Check out the Truck of the Month forum and vote!
2004-2008 F-150 Specific How To's:
VIN Decoder
Gotts Mod - 4.6L (5.4L similar)
Big 3 Upgrade
Seat Removal
Interior Door Disassembly SCrew (RCab/SCab similar)
Interior Trim/Carpet Removal

"Fighting is not handing out cookies, it's gunfire and rockets, and there will be casualties." - Haji Khalifa Mohammad Shah
Old January 24th, 2012, 11:23 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i thought of something else. ranger 2.3l are supposed to be best-in-class for gas mileage.and they seem to have the most torque,in class. so, maybe, the extra 4 plugs are there to burn any left-over gas molecules to give the best possible gas mileage. ??? just an idea.
does anyone know about other car/truck makes/models that have 2 plugs per cylinder ?
Old January 24th, 2012, 11:26 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

thank you, Double Dee,
Old January 25th, 2012, 08:50 AM

Liked 187 Times in 169 Posts

the extra 4 plugs were for burning any additional exhaust gasses on the exhaust stroke
it was know as 'fart exhaust'

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

Old January 25th, 2012, 09:03 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Pretty sure its all emissions, my dads 89 has same setup.

built and blueprinted Lightning powerplant with p&p heads, race built 4r70w by Darrin @ BC-Automotive
1-Ton swap Dyno 436/475
Transmission saga. avoid www.Engineworldusa.com, junk import motors.

Old January 25th, 2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klitch View Post
Pretty sure its all emissions, my dads 89 has same setup.

Old January 25th, 2012, 11:34 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

O.k. I still have some lingering questions about extra sparks (and extra farts ) . I did a test-by removing the extra 4 plugs. Then started the truck and to my surprise the truck ran very rough. Which made me think that they were contributing to the power stroke.
If the spark occurs in the middle of the exhaust stroke it would clean up emissions (farts ) but it would resist the pistons travel upward. So, they make make it occur at end of downward power stroke- to give it some more power and also finish off unburned fuel before piston starts upward for exhaust. I thought when i made my remove test that there would be no big engine change. I thought just emissions change. I thought the engine might run even better without extra plugs. But, i was wrong and now im doomed to be fascinated by the design until i really understand it and its design motives. I .also, think that it has something to do with the rangers good gas mileage (2.3l anyway) and its great torque feeling. I could start on the level in 4th gear. Also, another question comes up- why did they not do 2 plugs per cyl on the v-6 ? Also, klitch, might i ask was the 89 a 2.3l not a v-6. And also , i wonder did any usa make or other jananese or euro brand ever go 2 sparks per cylinder. ----------- life,so many questions, so lttle answers
Old January 26th, 2012, 07:41 PM

the only other one I can think of is the late model Dodge Hemi's
they have 16 plugs

Old January 26th, 2012, 08:21 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

... Ok my problem with your statement is you wrote you removed the extra plugs... Ya, actually removing the plugs then noting it runs rough? OR do you mean you unplugged the coil pack?

The 89 is a 4 banger, my brother has a 4 banging gerbil machine with the 5spd and 5.13's turning 35s.
We do have the 4.0 v6 in a 91, I have the 2.8 v6 in a 85 B2, never touched it yet.

built and blueprinted Lightning powerplant with p&p heads, race built 4r70w by Darrin @ BC-Automotive
1-Ton swap Dyno 436/475
Transmission saga. avoid www.Engineworldusa.com, junk import motors.

Last edited by Klitch; January 26th, 2012 at 08:25 PM.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 16
ASwaff400 , BigBlue79 , BigT67 , bikertrash3531 , Booba5185 , catmechanic07 , DoubleDee , F150GT , herbz , JSoko , Klitch , nine5flareside , pwallace67 , Ridgerunner , Russo2 , WORLDWITHIN@VERIZON.NET