Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > ALL OTHER FORD MODELS > Non Ford Vehicles

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old January 1st, 2013, 04:06 PM

Liked 36 Times in 30 Posts
Default 99 Dodge Neon 4 door

This is my 99 Neon thread. I dont think i will do much to this thing outside of baisic repairs and upgrades. Overall for a car with 230k miles, its in good shape. It's equipped with the 2.0 SOHC 4 pot and 5spd. Its quite peppy and handles pretty good. Right now it's bone stock but i think the spoiler is aftermarket.

1994 F150 XLT ExCab SB 306, 4R70w, 8.8 3.55 open, MSD StreetFire coil, Taylor Siro Pro wires, MSD cap and rotor, 1.72 Roller Rockers, 2º cam advance w/ Cloyes Street True Roller timing set, Flat top Hyperutectic pistons, Flowtech Long Tube headers, Xpipe, High flow Magnaflow converters, Spintech XL Sportsman DIDO muffler.

Multi Quote REPLY GOOD POST
Old January 1st, 2013, 06:54 PM

Some of the things i plan to do is normal upgrade stuff. Hotter coil pack, plug wires, better tires a set of good touring tires would be nice nothing too aggressive. Moog makes a loaded strut and spring assembly for all 4 corners. Upgrade brakes with just pads and rotors. Upgrade the throttle body with one from an automatic as they are bigger than the 5spd's. Get rid of the super restrictive air intake system with something better flowing. I could make one with cheapo vatozone parts that will out perform stock. Hell the stock intake pulls air from right on top of the engine. Really, the engine is about ass backawards from most of the front drivers out there. Usually the exhaust is up front and the intake is back by the firewall. This is opposite of that. The car has some exhaust leaks so that will be another area to get some upgrades as well. I dont really care for the fartcan look or sound and have looked at some companies like Remus, Spintech, Borla, ect. I will probably just by a header, HF cat, muffler, and let Wiland Muffler put it together. Maybe cheaper than a header and header back system. I dont care much about the aesthetics of the car. Most of the kits out there are gaudy as hell. So it might get some aftermarket wheels, theres 5x100 wheels all over CL for cheap. Thats about it. Anyone have any input?

1994 F150 XLT ExCab SB 306, 4R70w, 8.8 3.55 open, MSD StreetFire coil, Taylor Siro Pro wires, MSD cap and rotor, 1.72 Roller Rockers, 2º cam advance w/ Cloyes Street True Roller timing set, Flat top Hyperutectic pistons, Flowtech Long Tube headers, Xpipe, High flow Magnaflow converters, Spintech XL Sportsman DIDO muffler.

Old January 1st, 2013, 06:59 PM

Liked 187 Times in 169 Posts

Hey, this is Joey's son. I have an 05 SRT4 now after selling my WRX when our son was born. This one is seriously fast running 21lbs of boost on the stock turbo right now....

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

Old January 1st, 2013, 07:00 PM

Liked 31 Times in 28 Posts

Careful with the intake and exhaust mods. I dunno on Neons, but on 01-05 Civics, the stock exhaust and stock intake airbox flows better than aftermarket. I don't remember on the exhaust, but with the CAI you'd loose 4 HP in the bottom end and gain 2-3 HP in the top end. That was with a civic though, dunno on the Neon, just food for thought.

89 F-150 5.0l AOD 2x4, 3.55 LS(+4), Converted to HO Roller, 3g Alt, GT40Ps, Y-pipe, Rerouted PCV, Dual Taurus E-fans, Explorer Injectors, Remote ICM, DIY Cold air, Rubber Vacuum System, Tranny cooler, Remote Tranny filter, Saginaw P\S swap, F350 Brakes, more.

Old January 1st, 2013, 07:03 PM

Id like to do a SRT4 swap into a Gen1 but more money than i want to spend. A 2.4 Swap from a PT would be enough for me. Good lookin car though!

Old January 1st, 2013, 07:22 PM

Here's the factory jntake set up. It pulls in front of the engine, goes back to the air box on the firewall which sits in top of the exhaust and the from the airbox back to the front of the engine into the TB which is just under the inlet. If i keep the diameter on the exhaust stock with a header and muffler it shouldnt be that bad. The only reason i would consider a complete kit is because of the better bends. Wiland muffler dont use a mandrel but there bends are smooth and not crimp.

Old January 1st, 2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booba5185 View Post
Careful with the intake and exhaust mods. I dunno on Neons, but on 01-05 Civics, the stock exhaust and stock intake airbox flows better than aftermarket. I don't remember on the exhaust, but with the CAI you'd loose 4 HP in the bottom end and gain 2-3 HP in the top end. That was with a civic though, dunno on the Neon, just food for thought.
you got that backwards, on any 4 cylinder an exhaust will lose power on the bottom end and gain on the top end. With a CAI you would gain on the entire power band according to dyno charts

Old January 1st, 2013, 10:43 PM

Liked 14 Times in 14 Posts

wouldnt waste my time mod'ing a 2.0 neon with 230k. That many miles your lucky its still running and lucky the head isnt leaking. I had a 01 or 02.....cant remember.....but was junk. Glad to be gone of that thing!

Lowriders are for guys who can't get it up!
Sissy's drive 2wd's! (you know who you are!!)

Black Sheep of FTC
Old January 2nd, 2013, 10:29 AM

Liked 31 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSoko View Post
you got that backwards, on any 4 cylinder an exhaust will lose power on the bottom end and gain on the top end. With a CAI you would gain on the entire power band according to dyno charts
Not on a 7thgen Civic. Like I said, it may be different on a Neon.

89 F-150 5.0l AOD 2x4, 3.55 LS(+4), Converted to HO Roller, 3g Alt, GT40Ps, Y-pipe, Rerouted PCV, Dual Taurus E-fans, Explorer Injectors, Remote ICM, DIY Cold air, Rubber Vacuum System, Tranny cooler, Remote Tranny filter, Saginaw P\S swap, F350 Brakes, more.

Old January 2nd, 2013, 10:30 AM

I'm always interested in things like this
I'll check with my Ricer expert & I'll get back with ya on that

Last edited by JSoko; January 2nd, 2013 at 12:32 PM.