Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > FORD F-100 | F-150 SERIES > 2015-2020 Ford F150

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old June 21st, 2019, 12:27 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Push Button Start Info

First of all, I'm new here. Several months ago I traded my 2009 Lariat 4WD1/2 ton for a new 2019 Lariat 1/2 ton 4WD. Subsequently, I bought a new (to me) 2016 30' bumper pull camper. After adding air bags to the rear suspension, I was able to pull the 7,500# camper without any issues. Well, except one. The electrical hook up from the camper to the truck was loose so I decided to get it swapped out for a new one. This is where I uncovered a unique non-issue, so long as you're aware of.

The connection has a prong that should allow for a trickle charge to the batteries on the camper. Once the plug was changed, we hooked it up to a tester to make sure everything was hooked up right. All the blinkers worked, brake lights, tail lights and clearance lights worked fine. The only problem we ran into was the trickle charge didn't appear to be charging. It's supposed to have a 12 volt output. So the next morning I took the truck to my ace Ford mechanic buddy for him to plug into it, figuring it was simply not configured to charge from the factory. Basically, he did all the same tests but also hooked his computer up to it to check and see if in fact the truck hadn't been configured for the 12 volt output. There wasn't any switch in the program to toggle for that to be turned off or on. His suggestion was to carry it to a dealership, since it is still in warranty that it shouldn't be any cost involved. The nearest dealership I trust is 30 miles down the road, so off I went. After arriving and explaining the situation, I was directed to the waiting room, sat down and started flipping through my phone. About 15-20 minutes later, the service manager came out to get me. We walked into the service bay where they had my truck hooked up to a trailer simulater.

They explained that after reading through a number of technical bullatins from Ford along with other manuals, they found that 'push button' trucks have a quirky feature that turns the 12 volt output on and off. With the truck running and the drivers side door open, the 12 volt output was turned off. As soon as they shut the door, the 12 volt output became enabled. Door open - off. Door closed - on. Whodathunk it? Some engineer at Ford put this in the programming to save somebody from themselves, I guess.

Not to insult any professional engineers here, but after a career as a manufacturer's field rep, I maintain that PE after an engineers name means 'Partially Edumacated.'

I thought I'd post this here to save some poor soul the agony of driving all over the country side to figure out what I did after doing just that.

Have a great day!
The Following User Likes This Post:
harrison28 (June 24th, 2019)
Old June 22nd, 2019, 07:38 AM

Liked 187 Times in 169 Posts

Welcome
Great 1st Post

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

Old June 24th, 2019, 10:02 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks. I try.