Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 132
Tires, what do you think? - Ford Truck Club Forum

Home

Forum

Gallery

Garage

Blog

Arcade

Settings

TOTM

Vote

Remember Me?
       Join for free!

Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > FORD F-250 | F-350 SERIES | SUPER DUTY > 1948-1986 Ford F250 | F350

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old September 13th, 2013, 10:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Tires, what do you think?

I was thinking that because my 1976 F250 came with 16.5 wheels and because of the fact I can get militery surplus tires and even get H1 wheels recentered for a proper backspace. Keep in mind that the wheel is 24 bolt two pice internally bead locked. It is the only DOT approved bead locked wheel as far as I know. The wheel runs about $50. There are a few company's recenter the H1 wheels for diferent cost. The one company I've been looking into have 3 types of tires I've been looking at.

Goodyear MT 37 x 12.50 x 16.5 militery surplus for $150
Goodyear Dura-Wall 37x12.5x16.5 military surplus for $175
Or the new style BFG 37x12.5x16.5 military surplus for $175

I am open to suggestions and would like input. Please keep in mind I'm trying to keep it on the cheep so as to not piss off the boss aka the wife.

"Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young."
-Henry Ford

“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
-G.K. Chesterton
Old September 13th, 2013, 11:27 PM

Liked 31 Times in 31 Posts

does your truck already have a lift?

click below to see my FTC Gallery

Don't forget those that came before you! Be proud of who you are and where your from.

“No damn man kills me and lives.” Confederate Lieutenant General, Nathan Bedford Forrest

Old September 14th, 2013, 12:23 AM

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts

I've heard the MT is a pretty good tire, question though, why not just upgrade to 17" wheels, or even the 1992-1997 Alcoa's? Drop the hard to find 16.5" wheels altogether. I was gonna get my grandad's old 1973 IH 1210 Truck, it had 16.5's on it, was advised to look for 16's or 17's for it, as you'd be hard put to find 16.5" tires locally if you had a blow out or an unpatchable tire.
Old September 14th, 2013, 02:21 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The truck dose not have a lift, but is the highboy and I have seen 37" tires on a stock highboy with some rubbing. My friend has a 79 with 4" lift and 35" tires and my truck sits at just about the same height as his. I believe my truck has 285/75 R16 right now. Needles to say I have a bit of room for tires. I agree with the fact that 16.5 wheels are hard to find rubber for and on a normal 16.5 and up the tires are hard to keep on the wheel if aired down because of the lack of internal bead. I wish I could run 15" but they're getting hard to find and also they just won't fit the D44HD or the D60 for that matter. A few company's continues to make 16.5 tires Goodyear, BFG, Interco and Geaneral. Not sure for sure. Anyways looking at cost and durability, keep in mind I was a mechanic for the army, I trust the wheels and tires that we used. They're damn tuff. Almost as tuff as a US Marine. If only I could get 4 of them to rap around a wheel. Probably never get a flat or need an ailment. If I had the money I'd love to get sparkling new wheels and tires. Like I said before I'm trying to keep cost down.

"Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young."
-Henry Ford

“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
-G.K. Chesterton
Old September 14th, 2013, 12:28 PM

Liked 36 Times in 30 Posts

I'd get the H1's. You're right, they're tough as nails (I did like the Marine comment, just a tad biased lol) and you could bust em down in the middle of nowhere and change or repair a tire pretty efficiently. I don't know many tire shops, unless they deal with semis or agriculture vehicles, that will mess with split rims. So your experience with these will pay off too.

Edit. A trick we used to do when getting ready to change em out was airing the tire down to nothing and running them around the motor pool on the run flat rings. We kept a zip loc bag full of GAA taped to the ring so that when aired down or flat it would pop and lubricate the tire and help with heat and loosen up the tire for removal.

1994 F150 XLT ExCab SB 306, 4R70w, 8.8 3.55 open, MSD StreetFire coil, Taylor Siro Pro wires, MSD cap and rotor, 1.72 Roller Rockers, 2º cam advance w/ Cloyes Street True Roller timing set, Flat top Hyperutectic pistons, Flowtech Long Tube headers, Xpipe, High flow Magnaflow converters, Spintech XL Sportsman DIDO muffler.

Last edited by bikertrash3531; September 14th, 2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old September 14th, 2013, 04:37 PM

Liked 169 Times in 151 Posts

yes, the good old Motor Pool days
self improvement and experimentation
and Top never knew as long as there were no loud bangs and you kept it clean

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 16
BigBlue79 , bikertrash3531 , Booba5185 , CommoDog , glc , Hotrodscoot , Jonnyuma , JSoko , moore6085 , RAY_B , Rene76F100 , rollinblacksmoke , Russo2 , skatebowd , Soxfan68 , TwoStroke