Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > FORD F-100 | F-150 SERIES > 2004-2008 Ford F150

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old September 21st, 2009, 08:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Downshifting/Upshifting - Engine RPM Flare

Hi all.

One of the very first forum posts in another forum I had was for (what I thought was) a problem with RPM flare when downshifting / upshifting. I've finally (no poop - 10 months later) figured out what's going on.

WHen going 40-50 mph - the trans usually is in 4th (overdrive). when I downshift to 2nd, usually on a steep grade or when behind someone who's riding the brakes down a hill, that'd be shifting into 2nd gear and the RPMs would go up to around 2000-2500.

WHen shifting back into drive - this is what happens: The trans will shift into third gear for around 3-5 seconds, then shift back into fourth and/or overdrive after the 3-5 seconds. If I happen to be pushing on the gas at all while it's in third - the third gear feels like it has no torque and the RPMs will run pretty high (2500-2700 rpm).

I've already received the advice that:
1. I shouldn't use the transmission for limiting my speed
2. I should take it into a dealer to have it looked at

I kinda ignored those pieces of advice cause I couldn't accuratly describe the problem.

Now that I've figured all of this out (by using the Comm Tran display on the edge programmer) - I'd like to know if it's normal to have a pause of 3-5 seconds in third gear or if it should shift directly back into fourth when I shift back into drive.

Also - ON the Edge Programmer with the Comm Trans displayed - what's the lock that shows up next to the number? I thought it was when overdrive engaged (which you'd think should only be fourth gear) - but I saw it come on once in third gear (normal third - no downshift or anything like that).
Old September 22nd, 2009, 09:23 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

if i may...it's not the best idea to shift into 2nd from those speeds....like you, i sometimes downshift if i'm going thru a school zone or heading down a lengthy steep grade. I only shift into 2nd when i'm below 40mph....and eventually will shift back into drive after the school zone ends or i level out after the hill. i'd suggest avoiding shifting into 2nd at higher speeds....could potentially screw something up...and might be the cause for your 3-5 second issue.....cause i've never had a time gap...always engages right away.

as far as the edge question....i've never used that setting so i can't help you out with that question

Matt

2007 F-150 FX4

I say try, if you never try you can never succeed.

Old September 22nd, 2009, 11:58 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have noticed the same delay in the upshift after coming out of 2nd and just figured it was normal. as for the downshift, i usually turn off the overdrive (via the button on the shifter) let the speed drop 5 - 10 mph, then downshift to 2nd on those long downgrades behind the brakerider.

Big T

Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.