Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > FORD F-100 | F-150 SERIES > 2009-2014 Ford F150

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old August 2nd, 2011, 11:57 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default towing question

Hello, new to forum, and have a question to ask.

I purchased my first truck , 2010 f150 supercrew 4x4 xlt xtr last year and had no need to tow anything at that time. Now, I have a need and wish to hook up a tent trailer. I have found that the stock rear bumper already has a ball hitch hole in the center of the bumper, just waiting for me to attach a ball hitch. The wiring assembly is also already to go.

Is there a problem with me simply attaching a ball hitch to the existing hole in the bumper and towing the tent trailer without me having to go and buying a full tow package?? the trailer is less than 5000 lbs.

The bumper reads the following message which is not quite clear to me
"Maximum tongue load 500 lbs, Maximum gross trailer weight 5000 lbs. Bumper capacity only, vehicle capacity may differ"
Old August 2nd, 2011, 01:53 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Howdy truckin' and welcome to the family!

No problem stickin' a ball on the bumper and towing that way.

What the statement on the bumper means, is that the bumper can only support so much weight before damage will occur. The bumper is attached to the frame rails by 6 small bolts, whereas the factory hitch that I have is attached via 6 large bolts. So, the bumper will only hold so much weight.

Tongue load is figured at anywhere from 10%-15% of the trailers weight. This tongue load will also be part of your payload weight. Payload weight is the trucks curb weight subtracted from the vehicle gross weight rating. And the gross combined weight rating is the never exceed number for the weight of the truck and trailer combined.

So to explain the bumper capacity only/vehicle capacity difference, we'll use my truck as an example.

GVWR= 6900
Payload = 1378
GCWR = 12200
Max trailer wt = 6600

And I have the same notice on my bumper, 500 tongue/5000 trailer.
My truck can actually pull a 6600 lb trailer, whereas the bumper can only pull 5000 lbs. It's all about the safety. Plus if you put more weight on that bumper than what it says, you'll get that sagging bumper syndrome.

Hope this helps.

Double(. Y .)Dee
SSG, TXARNG
OIF III ('05) & OIF VIII ('10)
Least knowledgeable when it comes to the whirly, spinny things.

How To Use The FTC Gallery
Check out the Truck of the Month forum and vote!
2004-2008 F-150 Specific How To's:
VIN Decoder
Gotts Mod - 4.6L (5.4L similar)
Big 3 Upgrade
Seat Removal
Interior Door Disassembly SCrew (RCab/SCab similar)
Interior Trim/Carpet Removal

"Fighting is not handing out cookies, it's gunfire and rockets, and there will be casualties." - Haji Khalifa Mohammad Shah
Old August 2nd, 2011, 08:44 PM

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default The tow

as double dee said is all true and very well broken down ...

for what its worth here is my 2 cents worth to add to his 5.00 dollars worth . If you are going to be towing the camper very often or for any great distance i would put a class 3 hitch on the truck about 150.00 bucks for hitch insert pin clip and 2 inch ball carry out price OR go find a local junkyard and get the hitch and maybe the bolts for 30-40 bucks . THe gain from putting a hitch on is better weight dist on the truck and it will handle the trailer better . thats my 2 cents worth
enjoy
Old August 3rd, 2011, 01:34 AM

Liked 185 Times in 167 Posts

Hay truckin, check out the height of that bumper hitch
it could be too high and cause the trailer to not ride level
I like a receiver hitch attached to the frame
with this setup you can find the correct ride height by choosing a proper ball mount
they are sold in differant drop lenghts and can be inverted to suit your needs
plus I think a receiver hitch is safer
If you live close to North Georgia I have several receiver hitches for Fords that are collecting dust
let me know or go get one; around here its easy to find a 'CURT' or 'DRAW-TITE'
check your phone book or as 'sleeper' said junk yard
I can put one on myself useing a floor jack, both arms and a leg, but its easier with a helper

good run down on the info, DoubleDee

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

Old August 4th, 2011, 11:57 PM

Liked 36 Times in 34 Posts

Excellent breakdown Double Dee.I would also agree with Whitesleeper and Jsoko on the receiver hitch.Much better weight distribution and height adjustment.Also with the higher class 3 hitch you will be prepared to tow most anything ,and i keep an assortment of different size balls so that i am ready for anything that comes up Thats my pennies worth.
Old August 5th, 2011, 05:52 AM

Stay thirsty my friends... stay thirsty.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

I have nothing, day late and a dollar short....these guys nailed it!!

Old August 30th, 2011, 10:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSoko View Post
Hay truckin, check out the height of that bumper hitch
it could be too high and cause the trailer to not ride level
I like a receiver hitches attached to the frame
with this setup you can find the correct ride height by choosing a proper ball mount
they are sold in differant drop lenghts and can be inverted to suit your needs
plus I think a receiver hitch is safer
If you live close to North Georgia I have several receiver hitches for Fords that are collecting dust
let me know or go get one; around here its easy to find a 'CURT' or 'DRAW-TITE'
check your phone book or as 'sleeper' said junk yard
I can put one on myself useing a floor jack, both arms and a leg, but its easier with a helper

good run down on the info, DoubleDee
i like the receiver hitch that can be inverted easily. even fords brands like that hitch deserve to be the best! way to go for ford

thumbs up!

james