Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 132
Big 3 Upgrade How To - Ford Truck Club Forum

Home

Forum

Gallery

Garage

Blog

Arcade

Settings

TOTM

Vote

Remember Me?
       Join for free!

Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > GARAGE TALK > Garage Talk: Shop Class 101

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old November 19th, 2010, 07:37 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Talking Big 3 Upgrade How To

Did you ever hear about the "Big 3 Upgrade" and wondered what it could be? Well, this is in reference to the electrical system. It involves 3 wires: engine to chassis ground; chassis to battery ground; and alternator to battery. The purpose of this upgrade is to provide a less restricted flow of electricity to the battery and components you have or will add to your truck. There's a bunch of stuff out there now upon googling "big 3 upgrade". This guide is tailored specifically for the F150 (Gen 11 - 2004-2008).
Here’s what I did.
Measured the OEM wiring to see how much wire is needed to follow the factory routing and see where the connections are.

From this, I need AT A MINIMUM 30” of wire to run from the alternator to the battery, 14” to go from the chassis to neg battery, and 25” for the engine to chassis ground. (30” of red wire, and 39” of black wire) I guesstimated an overage and rounded up, purchasing 4’ of both red and black wire. Oh, and don’t forget the ring terminals. I found some on fleabay, Raptor brand, item # GRT1 (1/4” hole). I checked all factory connections, and found that ¼” is perfect. There’s a few ways to wire up a fuse to protect the alt-batt wire, and I also wanted to limit the number of connections I had at the battery post. You can only put so much on there before the nut won’t thread on. I opted for the streetwires FBXS20 fuse holder, it accepts 1/0 wire on all four corners, and accepts MIDI/AFS fuses.

Don’t forget the split wire loom and heat shrink tubing to go along with this.

Next, the tools I used for this install. 8mm and 10mm are our friends. Ford loves this size. You could probably unbolt quite a lot with just these 2 sockets. I used the propane torch to solder the connectors because my radioshack butane torch wasn’t up to the task. I could only heat it up so much before I had to refill it, then, I ended up melting more insulation before I could even get solder to soak into the connection. I needed something that would heat up hotter and quicker. Thus the propane torch. I’m attaching the video I made showing how I soldered this fat cable to a connector. I used the slip joint pliers to crimp the connectors onto the wire.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LopJyPecYnw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Out of all the wire I bought, I ended up with only 10” of the black wire left. Not bad. You really need to make sure you have enough wire for your project. Here’s what I ended up with:

Then, it’s just a matter of hooking everything up correctly. Here’s what is looks like when I was finished:

I did not remove any OEM wiring and only added to it.

This is my first how-to article that I’ve ever done, please be gentle. I also have more pics with my typical text in picture explanations in my gallery here:
DoubleDee’s Performance Mod’s Gallery

Double(. Y .)Dee
SSG, TXARNG
OIF III ('05) & OIF VIII ('10)
Least knowledgeable when it comes to the whirly, spinny things.

How To Use The FTC Gallery
Check out the Truck of the Month forum and vote!
2004-2008 F-150 Specific How To's:
VIN Decoder
Gotts Mod - 4.6L (5.4L similar)
Big 3 Upgrade
Seat Removal
Interior Door Disassembly SCrew (RCab/SCab similar)
Interior Trim/Carpet Removal

"Fighting is not handing out cookies, it's gunfire and rockets, and there will be casualties." - Haji Khalifa Mohammad Shah

Last edited by DoubleDee; January 28th, 2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old November 20th, 2010, 02:06 AM

Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts

Well done! Thanks for taking the time and sharing. Next article for you... cleaning under the hood and then applying Armor-all!

Old November 22nd, 2010, 08:36 AM

Liked 170 Times in 152 Posts

Thanks for the info DoubleD

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

Old February 8th, 2011, 04:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Since all of the oem wiring was left, you now have 2 of everything? I was taught that the best path is the shortest and the one with the leastr resistance. Since you now have 2 paths, I would assume you would experience some sort of electrical degradation.

Sort of like when you add a Y connection to a faucet. You now have cut the flow by half. It's going to the same place, but each side has half the power.

Why not remove the oem and leave your new setup?
Old February 9th, 2011, 11:13 AM

I dont know the answer but its a good question

Old February 13th, 2011, 03:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks, I guess no one wants to chime in.
Old February 13th, 2011, 09:30 PM

DoubleDee is a Military man serving somewhere with sand in his boots [ OIF VIII ]
proabely doesnt get much computer time

Old February 20th, 2011, 11:46 PM

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

I just thought this was funny as heck and didnt know where to put it...

Fords Anti Bird Crap Sensor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HxPo_kt2qc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HxPo_kt2qc

What we leave behind are our words and our deeds. Nothing else really matters.

Last edited by HawaiianF150; February 20th, 2011 at 11:53 PM.
Old February 24th, 2011, 07:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, I hoping for someone to comment on it. Thanks for the info jsoko. And umm, thanks for the video that makes no sense in here?
Old February 24th, 2011, 08:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

After Cowboy does his... he is going to do mine.. he just doesn't know it yet.. shhh.. don't tell him..

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianF150 View Post
I just thought this was funny as heck and didnt know where to put it...

Fords Anti Bird Crap Sensor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HxPo_kt2qc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HxPo_kt2qc
bwahaha... i want one!!

*** K&N CAI SI/SO Magnaflow Exhaust w/ 3.5" Magnaflow Tip 33x12.5 Cooper Discovery STTs 17" Eagle Alloys Edge Evo Pioneer AVH-3200BT Head Unit Interior LEDs Black Billet Grille Bedlined Rockers, Fender Flares, & Bumpers BlackOut Projector Headlights Fog Light HIDs Black Badges Tinted Taillights and 3rd Break Light Recon Smoked Clearance Lights ***

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 71
00stroker1 , 2Customs , 88dually , 90f150xltcenturion , 975.4 , Adsquared , alaskatabby , ASwaff400 , Bastien , Bates88 , BigBlue79 , Blue/Bird , Booba5185 , Boxtruck , cootersbigblackford , CountryBumkin , cowboy , CrazyD , Dairyfarmer , darwin333 , David Fyffe , desmondb , donnyonee , DoubleDee , eff15thtee , fbm1344t , gizmo06360 , glc , HawaiianF150 , HiRoller , jamesgang , jared96 , JasonSTX , jazlin , Joe'Bronco , johnjohnson , JSoko , Klitch , lanejesse85 , Michael7166 , nine5flareside , nismo972 , norconut , nyterydr , pete59edsel , polargeek , pulehu808 , Red91 , Red_2wd , remdude , Ridgerunner , Russo2 , schmally , Scotts Black FX4 , skatebowd , sneedlets5 , ssamme , SSGT B , static2489 , Street , tdb921 , TedC , The Frankster , toofastf150 , TPBull , tuffy , tylerbotts , watchitplaya , whitesleeper , wicat3 , woody001