Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > FORD F-100 | F-150 SERIES > 2004-2008 Ford F150

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old July 31st, 2011, 02:31 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Post Phase 3 Audio Upgrade

So, I never did the adequate research before I bought my capacitor. I’ve just seen and read about others using them and though it would solve my problem. Man was I wrong. Using a capacitor is like having chrome… It’s useless, but man, it sure does look purty! It wasn’t until after I installed the cap that I finally did some more looking around and started to find the articles about how pointless they are. Like when you first found out about Playboy and thought that was the world, but then you found out about Hustler.... I digest.

So, here’s what I bought:

Crutchfield..........4 ga wire 4 ft...........11.96
Onlinecarstereo..streetwires psc401..65.00
................................................to tal....76.96

I installed this 17 Apr 09.

Guess what? My lights were still dimming. So, I took it out in late June of 2010. From what I’ve read, it’s a mixed outcome on their use. Some helped, others it hasn’t. Maybe it’ll work for you. Not for me.

That’s when I undertook the Big 3 Upgrade as my Phase 4 upgrade. My next big thing is to get a bigger alternator. My stock 110 amp alt is pretty much at it’s limit. With all other electrical doo hickey’s running in the truck, and you add in 66 – 94 amps for my audio system… you can see where I start running into lack of power issues. Do my lights still dim? Not as bad as it used to.

So, for all my troubles, the money I spent on Phase 1, 2, & 3 totaled 1557.63. That’s including the 59 bucks spent on gas for a 521 mile round trip to get access to the table saw.

Was all this worth it? Heck yeah it was! I learned a few things along the way, and have pride in doing my own install successfully.

Experience: +5
Mana: +/- 0
HP: +/- 0
Strength: -1
Perception: +/-0
Endurance: -1
Charisma: -1
Intelligence: +1
Agility: +/- 0
Luck: +1

Sorry, no level up this time. I may be smart, but I sure is ugly! (think "bubba's" voice)

Double(. Y .)Dee
SSG, TXARNG
OIF III ('05) & OIF VIII ('10)
Least knowledgeable when it comes to the whirly, spinny things.

How To Use The FTC Gallery
Check out the Truck of the Month forum and vote!
2004-2008 F-150 Specific How To's:
VIN Decoder
Gotts Mod - 4.6L (5.4L similar)
Big 3 Upgrade
Seat Removal
Interior Door Disassembly SCrew (RCab/SCab similar)
Interior Trim/Carpet Removal

"Fighting is not handing out cookies, it's gunfire and rockets, and there will be casualties." - Haji Khalifa Mohammad Shah

Last edited by DoubleDee; February 15th, 2012 at 08:48 PM.