Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > THE LOUNGE > General Discussion

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old March 23rd, 2012, 10:24 PM

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts

That's the Rifle I have, I could buy a 209 shotgun primer conversion to make it a supposedly "more reliable" gun, I've shot dad's Hawken with a #11 in the rain and they are pretty reliable. Plus the conversion kit costs $44.95 now.
Old March 24th, 2012, 11:39 AM

Liked 185 Times in 167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
Why can't you modify your gun? In Pale rider he used cartridges.
this post is in reguards to his ThunderHawk rifle
this issue has been resolved
you would have to go back and read all that is posted

infact a good read if you'er planning on a black powder

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

Old April 19th, 2012, 06:21 PM

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts

So "lonewolf" I've been doing some research, my Thunderhawk has a 21" SS Barrel with a 1:38" twist, not ideal for round ball ammo, I've been shopping around for the Powerbelts locally, and came across these at the local Academy sports:

Specs:

PowerBelt AeroLite .50 Caliber 250-Grain Ammunition

• .50 caliber
  • 250 grains
  • 15-round box
  • Snap-on base creates a gas seal to provide consistent pressure and accuracy
  • Great flight performance to offer long, flat trajectories and controlled expansion
  • Large, hollow-point cavity reduces weight and helps maximize expansion
  • Polycarbonate tip preserves aerodynamic integrity and prevents premature expansion
  • Smooth, plated finish
  • Fluted, large-diameter gas check helps enhance shot-to-shot consistency
  • Ideal for deer, elk, black bear and other large game.
15 of those is $26.99, these aren't plastic coated, I thought about trying them. I'll elaborate more on the 1:38" twist in this gun for the newer n00b's, the 1:38" twist is a faster twist than what my father's T/C Hawken has(1:48") which isn't very good for round ball, it'll spin it but will probably only hit something to about 50-60yrds out and then drop like a hotcake.

I haven't had the time to go by the store and buy these, nor powder so I haven't shot it yet.

"Thunderhawk" over.
Old April 20th, 2012, 01:26 PM

Liked 185 Times in 167 Posts

'ThunderHawk'
I have'nt seen that one before, must be new
I'm not a fan of lead bullets in a muzzeloader, just adds to the fouling

I use the copper clad 'Aero Tip'

the slower rate of twist 1:48 & 1:66 are best with a patched round ball. With the 1:66 being the best.. and a 1:32/38 best for conical bullets

Probably the most important factor to consider in bullet selection is the rate of twist in the rifling of your gun. In a rifle with a 1-66" twist, you will usually use a round ball with a cloth patch.

If your black powder firearm is equipped with a 1-48" twist barrel, you have the choice of a patched round ball and "mild" powder charge ( a heavy charge may cause the patched ball to strip out and not follow the rifling, thus reducing accuracy), or a conical bullet of some design of your choosing. Since 1-48" is a compromise twist and not really very fast, you would probably find better accuracy with a shorter slug. For example, in the case of a .50 caliber maxi ball, you can pick from a 320 grain, 370 grain or 460 grain bullet. Going back to the rule that as the bullet gets longer the rate of twist needs to be faster to stabilize, and recognizing that 1-48" is only a medium rate of twist, then theory would say to use the shorter, or 320 grain, bullet.

In fast twist guns (1-32" or faster), you can probably forget round ball & patches, unless you want to play with very light powder charges to find an inexpensive "plunking" load. This is because a ball and patch may be 1/3 to 1/2 the price of a conical. A fast twist gun will actually shoot most any conical on the market.

There is no one "right" answer to the question of the proper bullet. Try several bullets to find out which your rifle likes the best

'LoneWolf' OUT

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 7
ASwaff400 , BigBlue79 , DoubleDee , JSoko , nine5flareside , Ridgerunner , Russo2