Quantcast Ford recalls 2013 Escape, says engine can catch fire - Ford Truck Club Forum

Home

Forum

Gallery

Garage

Blog

Arcade

Settings

TOTM

Vote

Remember Me?
       Join for free!

Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > ALL OTHER FORD MODELS > Ford's Not Listed

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old July 19th, 2012, 03:26 PM

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
Exclamation Ford recalls 2013 Escape, says engine can catch fire

DETROIT (AP) — Ford Motor Co. is telling owners of one version of the brand-new Ford Escape not to drive the SUVs until dealers can fix fuel lines that can crack and spill gasoline, causing engine fires.

The company issued the unusual warning on Thursday and said it is recalling 2013 Escapes equipped with 1.6-liter four-cylinder engines. Dealers will pick up the Escapes and drop off a loaner car that customers can use until the repairs are finished. The company is hoping to ship parts and get all the SUVs repaired in the next two weeks. Ford says it has three reports of fires: two at the factory and one while a customer was driving an Escape. No one has been injured.

The recall affects 11,500 Escapes in the U.S. and Canada. Only 4,800 have been sold to customers. The rest are on dealer lots and will be fixed before they are sold, spokeswoman Marcey Zwiebel said. "We are obviously taking very quick action in the interest of our customers' safety," she said.
Escapes powered by other engines are not affected, nor are other Ford models with 1.6-liter engines, Zwiebel said.

This is the second recall of the redesigned Escape, which went on sale in June. On Saturday, the company said it would recall more than 10,000 Escapes to fix carpet padding that could interfere with braking. The new version of the SUV is among Ford's top-selling vehicles. People bought 28,500 Escapes last month, up 28 percent from June 2011. The Escapes in the latest recall were built at the company's Louisville, Ky., plant from early April through July 11.

Ford says owners should call dealers to get the problem fixed. If parts aren't available, dealers will drop off loaner cars for use until the repairs can be made. Once the parts arrive, it will take less than an hour for technicians to replace the fuel lines, Zwiebel said. It's safe to park the Escapes in your garage because the fires happen only while the vehicles are moving, she said.

Older-model Escapes may also have safety problems. Government safety regulators are investigating complaints that throttles can stick on Escape and Mazda Tribute SUVs and cause them to crash. The probe, announced Tuesday by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, affects 730,000 SUVs from the 2001 to 2004 model years that are powered by V-6 engines.

The safety agency received 99 complaints from owners of the SUVs alleging 13 crashes, nine injuries and one death caused by the problem. The throttles on the SUVs can fail to return to idle when the driver takes his foot off the gas pedal, according to agency documents. The older Escapes have not been recalled to fix the problem, although a recall is possible.
Old July 20th, 2012, 06:44 PM

Liked 36 Times in 30 Posts

Thanks for the article. My Aunt Patti just bought a 13 Escape. Im not sure which engine she has but im sure I will find out when i call her later tonight. BTW i know the previous Escapes at least looked like a truck based SUV (shortened Exploerer anyway) but now that they look like a lifted Focus wagon. have these things ever been considered a truck / SUV? I mean the new one is definitely a crossover but what about the 1st and 2nd gen?

1994 F150 XLT ExCab SB 306, 4R70w, 8.8 3.55 open, MSD StreetFire coil, Taylor Siro Pro wires, MSD cap and rotor, 1.72 Roller Rockers, 2º cam advance w/ Cloyes Street True Roller timing set, Flat top Hyperutectic pistons, Flowtech Long Tube headers, Xpipe, High flow Magnaflow converters, Spintech XL Sportsman DIDO muffler.

Old July 20th, 2012, 07:01 PM

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts

I think they were crossover SUV's is what the commercial's called them.
Old July 26th, 2012, 02:14 PM

Liked 36 Times in 30 Posts

Update:
Ford has pinpointed mechanically scored fuel lines manufactured by supplier TI Automotive as the source of its recent 2013 Escape recall, reports Reuters. The 2013 Ford Escape recall covered 11,500 crossovers equipped with the turbo 1.6-liter I-4 engine over fears of a fire risk. According to documents filed by Ford with NHTSA, a cut on the surface of a fuel line could cause it to split open and leak.

About 4800 Escape models have been sold to customers in the U.S. in Canada, while the rest remain on dealer lots. Ford warned owners of affected models last week to avoid driving the vehicles until the repair is complete. The recalled Escapes were produced at Ford’s Louisville Assembly Plant between October 8, 2011 and July 11, 2012. Ford confirmed to us that TI Automotive has addressed the flaw, and will continue supplying fuel lines for the 2013 Ford Escape. TI Automotive had no comment on this story.

“In this instance, the scoring of the lines was created as part of the manufacturing process of this particular fuel line at the supplier,” said Ford spokeswoman Marcey Zwiebel. “We are now being supplied with quality lines from the same supplier that do not have this scoring.”

The documents filed with NHTSA also noted “an underhood fire was observed” on June 9 by a Ford employee after an Escape was driven from Ford’s Louisville plant to the company’s truck plant in Kentucky, Reuters reports. This incident was later investigated by Ford, however, and was determined to be a unique case. Two other fires have been reported, though no injuries have been linked to the problem.

Since owners have been urged not to drive their vehicles, Ford will pay dealers up to $660 per vehicle to cover transportation, rental, and other costs.

Source: Reuters, Ford

1994 F150 XLT ExCab SB 306, 4R70w, 8.8 3.55 open, MSD StreetFire coil, Taylor Siro Pro wires, MSD cap and rotor, 1.72 Roller Rockers, 2º cam advance w/ Cloyes Street True Roller timing set, Flat top Hyperutectic pistons, Flowtech Long Tube headers, Xpipe, High flow Magnaflow converters, Spintech XL Sportsman DIDO muffler.

Old July 26th, 2012, 07:30 PM

Liked 185 Times in 167 Posts

I heard on the 6PM news that the cause is attributed to the installation of the engine

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

Old July 26th, 2012, 09:23 PM

Liked 36 Times in 34 Posts

i also heard this afternoon, 2001-2003 escape recall for defective gas pedals
http://www.latimes.com/business/auto...,1736193.story

click below to see my FTC Gallery

Don't forget those that came before you! Be proud of who you are and where your from.

“No damn man kills me and lives.” Confederate Lieutenant General, Nathan Bedford Forrest