Quantcast GM audio engineer lists Top 10 songs to test your car's stereo - Ford Truck Club Forum

Home

Forum

Gallery

Garage

Blog

Arcade

Settings

TOTM

Vote

Remember Me?
       Join for free!

Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > THE LOUNGE > General Discussion

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old September 23rd, 2010, 06:20 PM

Location: Live on the outskirts of Philly, little town called Collingdale.
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default GM audio engineer lists Top 10 songs to test your car's stereo

Found this article on Yahoo this evening. It's actually a very good selection. When I installed stereos professionally, I used to use Hotel California as a test song.

GM audio engineer lists Top 10 songs to test your car's stereo
Hotel California? Bird on a Wire?

Test driving the sound system when you're car shopping can be as key to your long-term satisfaction as checking out the handling. So we thought you'd like to see this list of Top 10 songs for testing car audio quality from General Motors audio engineer Matt Kirsch, who led the sound work on the Chevrolet Cruze.

GM also posted the tracks as a mix at the iTunes store: If you want it for your own audio test driving, you can buy here for $12 (you gotta have iTunes to download it, of course).

ALSO ON DRIVE ON: Katy Perry is OK for Volkswagen, but too hot for Sesame Street

Here are Kirsch's "10 Songs for an Audio Test Drive" and what he says to listen for in each track:

"Don't Know Why" by Norah Jones. Listen for Norah's voice to sound natural, and centered in front of you.

"Diamonds and Rust" by Joan Baez. Listen for strong vocals, and for the instruments to be set across a wide sound stage.

"No One" by Alicia Keys. Listen for clarity in Alicia's vocals and spacious
background sound.

"Hotel California" by the Eagles. Listen for the clarity and dynamic range during the opening guitar solo, and of course the powerful drum beat.

"Boom Boom Pow"by the Black Eyed Peas. Listen for powerful, accurate bass beats, even at full volume.

"Rock that Body"by the Black Eyed Peas. Listen clear, intelligible lyrics over the powerful, persistent bass beat.

"Hide and Seek"by Imogen Heap. Listen for the enveloping ambience of the song, building on the openness and dynamic vocals.

"He Mele No Lilo" by Mark Keali'i Ho'omalu from Lilo and Stitch.Listen for the ambience and staging as the children's chorus is offset by powerful bass.

"Bird on a Wire" by Johnny Cash. Listen for the clarity in Johnny's distinctive voice, and his guitar to sound natural and free of any coloration.

"Packt Like Sardines in a Crushd Tin Box"by Radiohead. Listen for the punch from the percussive bass, and the ring of the steel drums.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...?se=yahoorefer

A tattoo is a permanent symbol of temporary insanity

Old September 23rd, 2010, 08:08 PM

Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts

Hey... what about Dr. Dre's Nuthin' But A G Thang Ft. Snoop Dogg?

Great post but bad selection other than The Eagles in my opinion. To be honest, lately my driving soundtrack has been Van Halen - Ain't Talking 'Bout Love and by the time the song is over, I usually am where I need to be.

Old September 24th, 2010, 09:10 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The selection is good, as it runs the speakers through their full range of what they are capable of. It gives the system a workout that you need to do to know where to make adjustments.

Your examples are good to hear on a great system, but not very good for trying to detect problems. Don't get me wrong, I blasted The Chronic way too many times when I was younger and could still hear good.

Old September 24th, 2010, 09:46 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I actually use two discs:
Autosound 2000 test cd (from sheffield labs)

Chesky Records - the ultimate demonstration disc

Of course - I've long since lost the cds and have them converted to mp3 - kind of negates the purpose of test cd's.

I like both because they have pointers and tips to look for in the cd - so you don't need to refer to instrucions on a jacket or anything. They have phase tests, channel tests, response tests, all that good stuff. the 1hz to 100 khz warble is a good test for checking for rattles.
Old September 24th, 2010, 05:46 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

At the time, test discs were only available to install shops and were fairly expensive. We used one produced by Bose, which was over 200 tracks, and produced test tones for many variations of sound along the entire aural spectrum. It also provided linear phase tones and time delay tones. This was a valuable tool to have before they started marketing pc software that could do this automatically with just a mic inserted into the vehicle.

We also used a disc produced by Team Gates. Alma Gates was sponsored by PPI and was the first person, be it woman or man, to break 150db in an SPL competition. She kept upgrading her setup with her team and PPI's help. Maybe 10 years ago, there was a car show in AC called FUZE. It was only once, was supposed to be an annual thing, but never panned out. I had the pleasure of meeting her, and got to stand next to her Bronco when she did a record setting 172db run. The bass was so powerful, my cross on my chain around my neck, was rattling. It got to the point, that I was gonna hurl, as the frequency went lower and lower. It was completely amazing.

Getting back to the point, her disc was used to dial in bass only, for vehicles who were strictly done up for SPL comps.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 3
Fordtruckman88 , Russo2 , skatebowd