Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > GARAGE TALK > Garage Talk: General Tech Talk

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old December 8th, 2009, 04:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Ceramic Brake Pads

<p> So your Ford truck has a beautiful set of black rims, but just on the front?? What the heck! Nice alloys on the back and some faded black ones on the front. Nice combo, not!</p>
<p> One of the problems Ford truck and SUV owners notice is the amount of brake dust that collects on the front rims. It's just a matter of days since you've last washed the truck and the brake dust is starting to take over once again. Ughh! It's enough to drive you insane. I've personally solved this by rotating my tires so now I have a nice set of faded black rims.</p>
<p> Now a solution for this problem is swap out your metallic brake pads for ceramic. What are you nuts!? Well, not quite but the pros will out weigh the cons in this case. The downside to putting in ceramic pads is the cost is generally a lot more than standard semi-metallic pads. Now on to the pros, really, that's it for the cons.</p>
<p> Ceramic brake pads will offer a more smooth and quiet braking over a wide variety of temperatures and driving conditions. Ceramic pads are made up of ceramic, bonding agents and small amounts of copper instead of the semi-metallic pad's steel fibres. This allows the pads to dissipate the higher temperatures with less heat fade while providing quicker recovery after stopping. This in turn generates less wear on the pads and rotors with limited brake dust. Ceramic pads still create a light coloured dust that is less noticeable and not as likely to stick to your rims. Just like that, no more faded black rims!</p>
<p> Ceramic pads meet or exceed all original equipment standards for durability, braking distance and noise. Due to the ceramic compound in the pads they help dampen the noise by generating a frequency beyond the human hearing range. Better stopping power, less wear and tear, and much quieter over organic and semi-metallic brake materials, what else do you need!</p>
<p> Hawk Performance has a ceramic performance pad that is ultra-low dust, low noise compound that is engineered to reduce vehicle brake NVH. NVH stands for Noise, Vibration and Harshness. Their ceramic pads are engineered with a linear friction profile to work better with your Ford trucks ABS system. Hawk Performance boasts increased stopping power with increased rotor andextended pad life.</p>
<p>To discuss this blog entry click [HERE]&lt;/p&gt;</p>
Old March 16th, 2011, 07:51 AM

Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Thumbs up

Old March 16th, 2011, 09:37 AM

Liked 187 Times in 169 Posts

Food For Thought
DO NOT use Dust Shields to keep dust down they prevent the air flow needed to help Cool the Brakes

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

Old March 27th, 2011, 04:37 PM

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Do we need to change rotors if change out to ceramics? mine arent slotted - just oem style.

I left an email with Hawk folks about my truck's brake application - hope they answer soon with good news. Seems their application guide doesnt have a listing for my specific truck. Waiting in the wind.

What we leave behind are our words and our deeds. Nothing else really matters.

Last edited by HawaiianF150; March 27th, 2011 at 05:21 PM.
Old March 28th, 2011, 07:04 AM

Liked 187 Times in 169 Posts
Exclamation Slotted Rotors - Pros & Cons

no rotor change required, unless you feel the need
read this:

Pros and Cons of Cross-Drilled and Slotted Rotors

A recent trend in the sports car/Truck market is the use of cross-drilled or slotted rotors. You see them on all kinds of cars & Trucks today, and while they may look nice, few people know the benefits to using them. Many people don't even know what the slotted rotors are for. Are they just for looks, or do they actually increase your braking performance in some way? There are pros and cons to using them.

Slotted rotors are generally more reliable than their cross-drilled counterparts. One of the biggest benefits to using a slotted rotor is that the slots help pull brake dust away from the pads. By reducing the debris between your pads and rotors, you allow more of the pad's surface area to come in contact with the rotor, which means better grip, and better stops. The coefficient of friction is increased, so you're using less energy every time you step on the brakes. In other words: you can stop your vehicle faster with the same effort. This is why motorsports such as NASCAR advocate the use of slotted rotors on their race cars.

However, there is a tradeoff that occurs to gain this extra stopping power. By cutting into the brake rotor—whether slotting or cross-drilling—you are effectively reducing its structural integrity. So even though this reduced unsprung weight (an issue near and dear to racers everywhere) it's also putting your brakes under stress. To some, however, that extra stress is worth the extra stopping power.

Cross-drilling rotors was common in the old days of asbestos brake pads—think 1950's technology here. When these pads were applied, gases were released that would get trapped between the pad and the rotor. This was referred to as "gassing out" or "outgassing" When that happened, the friction between them would decrease, meaning the brakes were less effective. To counteract this, holes were cross-drilled into the rotors to give the gas somewhere else to go, and while this may have been effective fifty or sixty years ago, today we live in a world of carbon ceramic brake pads, and they don't experience this same phenomenon. In today's cars, if you use cross-drilled rotors under heavy load, such as on the race track, you're losing structural integrity even more than with a slotted rotor, which makes your rotors much more prone to cracking.

To their credit though, cross-drilled rotors are considered visually appealing in many situations. When run on cars that won't see the track, you can run cross-drilled rotors and not have to worry about the cracking mentioned above, because on the street your vehicle won't generate enough heat to crack them. In other words, your choice of brake pads is purely aesthetic and all about personal preference, until you decide to hit the track and push your car/Truck to its limits.

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

Old March 29th, 2011, 01:43 AM

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Now that passes the sanity meter.

What we leave behind are our words and our deeds. Nothing else really matters.

Old June 22nd, 2011, 01:07 AM

FTC ARTICLE CONTRIBUTOR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Harder Ceramic pads WILL wear down your rotors faster. If your OEM pads are not ceramic than you will want to replace your rotors to stand up to the challenge of the harder break pads. Any and every auto parts store will try to up-sell you to ceramic pads or the "lifetime Break Pads". when they will just have you back in the store purchasing the more expensive rotors shortly.

I normally go with the softer Raybestos pads and my rotors last for years and years.

After snapping an axle shaft my truck dropped onto the rotor and slid to a stop (Needless to say i needed new rotors, amongst other things) So i When i put in new rotors i went with ceramic pads as well... My brand new rotors were toast in less than a year!

Back to the Raybestos pads i went... Personal preference, but I would rather clean my rims than replace my rotors.

TRUCK OF THE MONTH
*** June 2011 ***

F150 - Gotts no silencer Intake, straight piped 2.5" exhaust

Sold the Bronco