Remember Me?
       Join for free!

Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > FORD F-250 | F-350 SERIES | SUPER DUTY > 1948-1986 Ford F250 | F350

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old July 17th, 2019, 03:23 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Constant low coolant level

Hi,

I am new in the Ford Truck field (rather more familiar with Mustangs).
However, I own now for 2 years a F250 XLT Lariat, 460cid / C6, 2WD from 1986 with A/C and ask for your help.

First I have to say I had never overheating issues. I believe that the temp gauge reads correct, as after 30 minutes drinving the needle comes into middle position and stays there, after the thermostat has opened obviously.

What I do not understand is, that the coolant Level (Looking from the Radiator cap inside, at Cold engine) is constantly about 4 to 5 Inches below the cap seat. When I fill the coolant (either from the cap Opening or the Overflow tank) the Level goes down again.
When the engine is hot, there is never something in the Overflow tank as well, which I am wondering about.
After filling the Overflow tank (About half way up) the engine cooling System sucks the tank empty as the engine gets warmer and warmer.
The Radiator cap looks good, as far as the rubber sealings is concerned.

I must say I have never found leakage under the car or on the hoses or elsewhere inside the engine compartment.

I have no idea, if I should leave this issue and go as Long as I don't discover overheating signs or if I should care About it in one way or the other.

I want to Mention, that my truck is a Survivor of provable 50tsd mls. So I don't think that there has been done a lot to it since 1986...

I also want to Mention, that I see since 3 month, that there is a lot of White smoke coming out of the vent System in the cab when I turn it on for the first time. The same, when I turn on A/C or heating.
So probably it is the heating hose System / heater core / heater plenum where all my coolant "disappers"?

I read here that probably burping the cooling System would be a first good step.

What do you think About this all?
I appreciate your help!!

thanks,
Greg
Old July 17th, 2019, 10:26 AM

Liked 105 Times in 102 Posts

Your heater core is leaking.

2003 F-150 XL RCSB 2wd 4.2 5 speed 3.55 LS

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 3
glc , harrison28 , janoschxy