Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > GARAGE TALK > Garage Talk: Wheels & Tires

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old January 12th, 2014, 09:41 AM

Liked 187 Times in 169 Posts
Exclamation Michelin Recall

I got a new set for the E250
there are other sizes affected other than what I list below; you have to check
but this is what I found about my LT225's
I heard about the recall on the local news

Here is the site info I found and the link

http://www.michelin.ca/safetyrecall

MICHELIN ISSUES SAFETY RECALL FOR COMMERCIAL LIGHT TRUCK TIRES
Michelin is recalling one version of a specific size of the Michelin LTX M/S tire. These tires are typically found on such vehicles as commercial light trucks, full-sized heavy duty vans, small RVs and some large pickup trucks.

The tires were produced between January 2010 and June 2012.
The tire version and size are:
Michelin LTX M/S LT 225/75R16 115/112R LRE
The tires were fitted as original equipment on some new vehicles and were also sold as new replacement tires.
Michelin is issuing the recall because a small number of the tires being recalled experienced tread loss and/or rapid air loss.
Michelin recommends removal of these tires as soon as possible. Owners of the affected tires should visit an authorized Michelin retail location as soon as possible to have the tires replaced at no charge.

To find out if a tire is affected by the recall:

Determine if it matches the information below:

Tire Description DOT Sequence DOT Production Periods (Inclusive)
Michelin LTX M/S LT 225/75R16 115/112R LRE B3JH AKEX 0210 – 2512
If the information on the sidewall of your tires does not match these identifiers, it is not part of the recall.

The following illustrations show the DOT information on a sample of the affected tires.

If you have any questions concerning the tire’s DOT information, please contact Michelin Consumer Care at 888-863-7777. Available 8am–8pm EST Monday–Friday; 8:30am–4:30pm EST Saturday–Sunday.

DOT sequence begins with B3JH AKEX ---

and ends with a date code (2-digit week and 2-digit year) between 0210 and 2512 inclusive.

additional info:
Michelin North America has announced a safety recall of approximately 1.3 million of its Michelin LTX M/S commercial light truck tires, sold in both the U.S. and Canada.

These tires are typically found on such vehicles as commercial light trucks, full-sized heavy-duty vans, small RVs and some large pickup trucks. Most of the tires were sold in the U.S with less than 100,000 sold in Canada.

No deaths or injuries have been reported in connection with the recalled tires.

This recall is being issued because an increasing number of tires are experiencing tread loss and/or rapid air loss.

The recalled tires were manufactured between January 2010 and June 2012.

The Department of Transportation date range that appears on the tire sidewall is represented by four numbers, with the first two digits denoting the week, and the last two digits representing the year.

The DOT range and product identifiers for the affected tires are:

Tire description, Michelin LTX M/S LT 225/75R16 115/112R LRE; DOT sequence, B3JH AKEX; DOT production, 0210-2512 (first two digits are week of the year and last two digits are the year).

The tires were fitted as original equipment on some new vehicles and were also sold as new replacement tires. Michelin stopped producing the tire in June 2012 as part of the company's normal process of refreshing its product lines.

Owners of the affected tires are advised to visit an authorized Michelin retail location as soon as possible to have the tires replaced at no charge.

For additional information on this recall, visit Michelin at www.michelin.ca/safetyrecall or call Michelin Consumer Care at 888-863-7777.

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

Last edited by JSoko; January 12th, 2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old January 13th, 2014, 12:57 AM

Liked 36 Times in 34 Posts
Thumbs up

click below to see my FTC Gallery

Don't forget those that came before you! Be proud of who you are and where your from.

“No damn man kills me and lives.” Confederate Lieutenant General, Nathan Bedford Forrest

Old January 13th, 2014, 01:04 AM

Liked 36 Times in 30 Posts

I've always heard Michelin tires wear like iron. Its a shame this has happened. The last thing they need is a Ford/Firestone controversy.

1994 F150 XLT ExCab SB 306, 4R70w, 8.8 3.55 open, MSD StreetFire coil, Taylor Siro Pro wires, MSD cap and rotor, 1.72 Roller Rockers, 2º cam advance w/ Cloyes Street True Roller timing set, Flat top Hyperutectic pistons, Flowtech Long Tube headers, Xpipe, High flow Magnaflow converters, Spintech XL Sportsman DIDO muffler.

Old January 13th, 2014, 09:58 AM

on the E250 my 1st set (factory Michelins replaced by dealer) got 91,000 mi / 7-1/2 years
I must say the the original factory tires always felt out of balance, the dealer did a 'Road Force' found the tires to be out of spec. and replaced all 4 shortly after I got the Van

I achieved that 91,000 mi by doing a 5 tire rotation as all 5 tires & wheels were the same
now the 5th tire which was the spare and never 'Road Forced' had no problems

the 2nd set (recall) had 17,000 mi / Dec. '13, and still looked like new

I keep the pressure correct and have a computer alignment done, the shop down the road just got a new machine

my front end joints all had plugs instead of zerk fittings, which I changed out and do a grease each tire rotation. The key to long life is grease and not adding so much that you split the boot.

My Dad would kick our ass if we did not clean the zerk fitting before greasing or split a boot

FYI: the 91,000 mi set had only one alignment done at 21,000 mi and wore perfect

NOTE: when the Michelins wore out I put a set of BF Goodrich Commercial tires on to save $300, I drove down the road and had to pull over to see if the tires were low on air or if they failed to install E load Range. The Van was swerving like it had a ton of bricks in the back. Went back and had the Michelins installed and it was a big difference. I'm staying with the Michelin LTX M&S II

Last edited by JSoko; January 13th, 2014 at 10:09 AM.
Old January 14th, 2014, 08:46 AM

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Very odd for them to have a problem. They have been the best for years. Seems they are on top of it better than Firestone ever has been. If they had a set with the looks I want, that is what I'd buy. As for car/performance, I always had good luck with Radials/TA. I'm down to three types of rims I'm wanting and I'm thinking about Coker Redline's. My youngest sister got 90,000+ out of hers too J. She will run the Goodyears or Continentials for about 10k and then change to Michelins.

1993 F150 XLT, 5.8 with E40D, Tow and Handling Package. Fully loaded from factory as truck was special order. Mods: Extang Snap on bed cover. 2" drop in rear, Six Liter Tuneup, NOS 66-72 Ford Air Foil Antenna, Planet Auto Red Ford Oval (grille). Diamond Clear Headlight Package, Bumper Guards, F350 Brake Conversion, Slotted/Drilled Front Rotors, 3 row alum radiator with Mk VIII elec fan. and much more to come!
Old May 11th, 2014, 08:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for sharing this info. I'm about to get one tomorrow good thing I read your post.
Old May 11th, 2014, 09:21 PM

Liked 36 Times in 34 Posts

my favorite tire is the Nitto Terra Grappler ive had great life and ride. on my second set in about 7 years

click below to see my FTC Gallery

Don't forget those that came before you! Be proud of who you are and where your from.

“No damn man kills me and lives.” Confederate Lieutenant General, Nathan Bedford Forrest

Old May 12th, 2014, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatebowd View Post
my favorite tire is the Nitto Terra Grappler ive had great life and ride. on my second set in about 7 years
I put a set on my '04
they are also a great rain tire