TOTM

Vote

Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Log Out

Ford Truck Club Forum > FORD F-250 | F-350 SERIES | SUPER DUTY > 2011-2016 Ford F250 | F350

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old May 9th, 2020, 05:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default DEF issues while traveling...please help

We are traveling and having DEF issues. I tried replacing the reductant heater in the DEF tank...and now it seems as if I might be putting out too little DEF. While this seems to be what the code is telling me, I am not being speed limited. So, until I can get this resolved, what harm am I doing to my truck/systems if I am running at speed, but putting in too little DEF? I'm surprised that I am able to run without being speed limited. My best guess as to what is happening is that I messed up one or more of the sensors on the DEF pump when replacing the pump onto the tank. I have ordered a new pump and will put that on, but if I am still popping codes (here are the current codes: 2 Permanent trouble codes: P20BA (reductant heater "A" control circuit performance); P20E8 (Reductant Pressure too low) and 1 Powertrain Control Module Code: NOx exceedance - empty reagent tank. The first code wasn't unexpected as it was the code I was popping telling me I needed to replace the tank heater and won't clear immediately. The other two not sure why I'm getting them, but can think of a couple of possibilities.

When I pulled the tank to replace the heater, I had waited until it was showing as being nearly empty (106 miles remaining). Anyway, I replaced the tank heater and put everything back together. I immediately popped a code, but didn't have my scanner with me, so had assumed it was just the old permanent code not having yet been cleared. We drove into town (around 110 miles) and I would have used up any remaining DEF, but the vehicle tells me I now have 466 miles left when I shouldn't likely have any remaining DEF...I thinking for this error, it is maybe a damaged sensor or connector.

When replacing the tank heater, I did break off the outlet line nipple, but thought I repaired it, so that might account for the reductant pressure being too low.

Anyway, my main concern right now is how much damage I'm doing if I'm not getting enough DEF into the vehicle. I know I'm not helping the environment but if I'm not slowly destroying my engine or emissions components, I will get to my destination and then fully resolve this. I'm hoping replacing the DEF pump will resolve my issues, but if not, I'm trying to get an answer as to what I could be harming if I continue my trip. The trip still has 2100 miles.
Old May 9th, 2020, 10:34 PM

Liked 116 Times in 112 Posts

As long as it keeps running you should be okay, but it could cause issues with the catalytic converter - contamination or plugging. I can't think of anything else that would be affected, but I'm far from being an expert.

2003 F-150 XL RCSB 2wd 4.2 5 speed 3.55 LS
Old May 10th, 2020, 07:47 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I see in the replacement pump kit, there are two o-rings. The larger is for the inlet tube, but the small 0-ring...where does it go? I didn't see any o-ring on my original pump...so can anyone tell me where it is supposed to go?
Old May 10th, 2020, 10:18 AM

Liked 116 Times in 112 Posts

No idea, sorry.

2003 F-150 XL RCSB 2wd 4.2 5 speed 3.55 LS
Old May 11th, 2020, 10:03 AM

Liked 36 Times in 34 Posts

i am usless in this situation I have no Knowledge at all sorry

click below to see my FTC Gallery

Don't forget those that came before you! Be proud of who you are and where your from.

“No damn man kills me and lives.” Confederate Lieutenant General, Nathan Bedford Forrest

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 3
glc , PNGento , skatebowd