Remember Me?
       Join for free!

Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > FORD F-250 | F-350 SERIES | SUPER DUTY > 1948-1986 Ford F250 | F350

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old August 31st, 2013, 08:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Crossover steering

High Boys are rear and hard to find in descent condition or all done up and way to expensive. I was lucky to find one that was somewhere in the middle ground. Mostly stock. Only thing done to it is that the 390 FE was switched with a 460. Besides that as far as I can tell all the other parts are 36 year old original except for a Saginaw steering pump.

I was originally going to put in a 79-79 F250-350 gear box. But the simple fact is that it was going to cost way to much. To rear and hard to find. I found some on the net but core charge were way out there. I read a lot of people have had wonderful results with the Saginaw box. After checking on the cost of a replacement, it was a fifth the cost. They are very tuff and easy to find since Chevy a Chrysler put them in 100 s of millions of vehicles. Junkyards are littered with them. Got mine for $45 and a high quality rebuild kit for $50. Go figure the kit cost more. The box probably didn't need the rebuild but it didn't hurt. Besides I did add the ports. So as far as gear boxes go I'll stick with the Saginaw box. I'm not saying that its stronger or better then the Ford unit. I have no idea on that factor, but I've never hear much bad on the durability of them. One other thing I like about this particular gear box is that it is variable ratio.

I was wondering why some people highly suggest just cross over and not full high steer? I know they have a good reason for it but they didn't go into it. I don't have a problem talking about options. Just want to know why. I was going to use a double end steering cylinder like this one http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...name=hydraulic
I was going to build a mount on the axle and attach the ends to the original tie rod mounting points on the knuckle. This cylinder dose not have a high volume so it should be able to keep up with the steering gear box. In this setup it would add no additional pressure on the tie rod or the upper steering arms. I'd mount the cylinder just far enuf to be in line with the original tie rod point at full clock. Let me know what you think about this setup?

"Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young."
-Henry Ford

“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
-G.K. Chesterton

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 3
glc , stromburg , TwoStroke