Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > FORD F-100 | F-150 SERIES > 1992-1996 Ford F150

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old July 22nd, 2012, 03:53 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Gas mileage confusion

My wife and I have managed in the past month to get out 1995 F150 changed from the train wreck of amateur mechanical work into something resembling a decent reliable vehicle. We decided to check the fuel mileage, and based on experience with my 1981 F100 that also had the 300, I expected MAYBE 14 mpg. We drove the truck for over a week one one tank, went to fill up tonight, and we had driven it 302.5 miles, and it took right at 12 gallons to fill it up.

Which works out to something like 25 mpg. I don't think this tractor engine gets that mileage, but I've never owned a fuel injected one. The truck is a short bed extended cab bare bones model with a 5 speed. I know for a fact we haven't put any gas in it, and I'm positive I reset the trip meter. We tend to drive it slow, because it won't really go any faster if you drive it fast. The PO claimed it would get 20 MPG, but based on the bad work done to the truck by him, I just assumed he was an idiot.

What mileage do you guys get from your 300 I6 2wd trucks? Also, where do I look for the rear axle code? VIN? Tag on the axle?
Old July 22nd, 2012, 05:09 AM

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Doing some research I've seen some getting 14mpg highway while others are getting 20 to 21 mpg. It all seems to come down to a few factors.

Gearing
Transmission (auto or manual)
Drive train (2 or 4wheel drive)
Driving style
Engine (modifications)

Considering your driving style and transmission you described, I can conclude those did help factor in for better mpg's on your part.

This link might help you find out rear axle info. https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenan...ls/default.asp

And you said it did have some mods to it (if I read that right). I used to have a 93' 3.9 Dakota Sport I had modified heavily to achieve more gas mileage (headers, larger exhaust, 3 angle valve job, port and polished the heads and intake myself, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, and roller rockers before anyone had thought of a way to put roller rockers on that engine). It was also 2wd and a 5spd. When I put the foot down it could smoke out most stock V8's, but when I babied it, I could squeeze out about 26mpg highway, but it didn't happen often because all that power is tempting I must admit.

That truck was my guinea pig and fared well.

Not sure if my bit of rambling is of any help, but I tried.
Old July 22nd, 2012, 08:18 AM

Liked 187 Times in 169 Posts

main thing when tring to do an accurate milage check, is to make sure the speedo is correct which I have done be useing the mile markers on the side of the HiWay
large & small diameter tires can change this

run several miles down the road and see if your speedo jives with the signs, some say a GPS can do the same, I just do have or need one (I know where to go)

also filling up the same way is critical, meaning; go to the same station same pump same fill angle (up or down hill) a slight differance in the pavement grade at the pump will affect how much you put in the tank, now I like to stuff the gas in there the same way each time then divide the milage by gallons

my 2006 4X4 5.4 3.73 F150 gets 12 - 16.8 mpg depending on how I drive, I have my tuner (old EDGE with GRYPHON Custom Tune up-grade) set at level 3 and use 93 oct

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

Last edited by JSoko; July 22nd, 2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old July 22nd, 2012, 03:51 PM

Liked 36 Times in 30 Posts

To the OP. If your getting 25 Mpg out of your 95, you're doing very well and i wouldn't imagine getting much more out of it. My 90 4.9 regulary gets 14-15 with the way my wife drives it, but thats almost always in town driving. On the highway i have seen 18 at best. But my truck is geared with 3.55:1 and has a gazillion miles on it.

1994 F150 XLT ExCab SB 306, 4R70w, 8.8 3.55 open, MSD StreetFire coil, Taylor Siro Pro wires, MSD cap and rotor, 1.72 Roller Rockers, 2º cam advance w/ Cloyes Street True Roller timing set, Flat top Hyperutectic pistons, Flowtech Long Tube headers, Xpipe, High flow Magnaflow converters, Spintech XL Sportsman DIDO muffler.

Old July 22nd, 2012, 07:29 PM

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

I get about 20 highway in 150 miles of 65 and 70 mph with about 20 of that at 35-45mph. I consider that good even though I'm running a 5.8. That was also before I fixed the cruise which I haven't checked since. J, you said you were running 93 oct. Do you have any worrys about what that might do to the O2 sensor and other stuff. I burn 95% of the time ethonal free gas. Every now and then I will fill one tank with 93 BP(Amoco) gold. That is all I ever use to use until I started owning newer vechicles and the owner of the 01 GT I had said he burned out several things because he put high test in the Mustang all the time. Sorta back to the header thing, I would like some day to have all the smog and other junk off, but for now high flow cats to go with true duals and long tubes and I will be happy with what ever I get.

1993 F150 XLT, 5.8 with E40D, Tow and Handling Package. Fully loaded from factory as truck was special order. Mods: Extang Snap on bed cover. 2" drop in rear, Six Liter Tuneup, NOS 66-72 Ford Air Foil Antenna, Planet Auto Red Ford Oval (grille). Diamond Clear Headlight Package, Bumper Guards, F350 Brake Conversion, Slotted/Drilled Front Rotors, 3 row alum radiator with Mk VIII elec fan. and much more to come!
Old July 22nd, 2012, 10:15 PM

Liked 187 Times in 169 Posts

dont know what you mean about the O2 sensor
I've been running 93 oct since '06 10% ethanol
all our stations are 10%

the guy with the Stang GT may have been putting some additive as octane booster in his tank or some other something to cause his problem
may have had one of them 'canned tune' tuners on his car

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

Old July 22nd, 2012, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Frankster View Post
I would like some day to have all the smog and other junk off, but for now high flow cats to go with true duals and long tubes and I will be happy with what ever I get.
Removing the smog equipment is IMO a bad idea on these trucks. Whith the money spent to block off the heads, add an idler pulley in place of the pump, removing the thermactor valves and associated vacuum switches and lines, the cost outweighs any negligible benefit or performance gain. Afterall the smog pump is a relativley free spinning unit and all it is pumping is air. Even if you install a complete aftermarket exhaust with high flow converters you can either run the A.I.R tube into the exhaust stream or let it vent to the atmosphere due to the efficiency of the new style cats not needing the air for the catalyst to light off. But you will definitely need the air that is injected into the exhaust ports for your O2 sensors to read appropriately thus allowing your EEC to calculate everything else correctly. Just my. 02

1994 F150 XLT ExCab SB 306, 4R70w, 8.8 3.55 open, MSD StreetFire coil, Taylor Siro Pro wires, MSD cap and rotor, 1.72 Roller Rockers, 2º cam advance w/ Cloyes Street True Roller timing set, Flat top Hyperutectic pistons, Flowtech Long Tube headers, Xpipe, High flow Magnaflow converters, Spintech XL Sportsman DIDO muffler.

The Following User Likes This Post:
Red91 (July 23rd, 2012)
Old July 23rd, 2012, 03:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We did another check today on our fishing trip, and got a more believable number - 18 MPG. There aren't any performance mods to the truck, it was just a mess of incorrectly done wiring, hose routing, loose bolts, and disconnected random things. I knew I could fix it, and it was dirt cheap.

I think next up will be some exhaust work. I'm not sure what's under there, but it does NOT look like truck exhaust. Just random tube-shaped junk. I think I'll just cut it off behind the cat, and run a 2.5" pipe with a muffler, turned down in front of the axle. If memory serves me correctly, a 300 without a muffler sounds just about the same as a 300 WITH a muffler. I don't know if the dual manifolds will make a difference or not.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 09:25 AM

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Here in NW AL we have the Pure and Q gas stations. Up home in NW TN the CO-OP sells the ethanol free. The Q Gas place has reg and high test non-ethanol. The O2 is what comes to mind. He said it cost him about $1200 to fix every thing and I got the 01 in 06 with 27k miles on it. Very well taken care of. I asked him about chips and such and he said nothing. After wacthing Horsepower tv a couple of years ago and they tore down a brand new Barry Gant to put new seals and such because of what the ethanol would do to the ones that came in the carb. Since then, I try not to burn nothing but non-ethanol. And since we are talking about gas milage, I believe you get a couple less mpg with ethanol than pure gas. They built an ethonal plant about a mile outside my home town and has done nothing but tear up the roads with all the traffic. With the drought this year, what should get the corn? For food or fuel? To me ethanol is a waste.

1993 F150 XLT, 5.8 with E40D, Tow and Handling Package. Fully loaded from factory as truck was special order. Mods: Extang Snap on bed cover. 2" drop in rear, Six Liter Tuneup, NOS 66-72 Ford Air Foil Antenna, Planet Auto Red Ford Oval (grille). Diamond Clear Headlight Package, Bumper Guards, F350 Brake Conversion, Slotted/Drilled Front Rotors, 3 row alum radiator with Mk VIII elec fan. and much more to come!
Old July 23rd, 2012, 09:38 AM

It is a waste. I read a couple of years ago that corn based ethanol actually has more of an impact on the environment as far as particulate count goes. And ive never heard anyone say they got better mileage out of E10 or E85. Even with the flex fuel vehicles. But so many states put in legislation, MO being one of them, that it makes it difficult to reverse. Damn Al Gore and his misguided judgment!!! Lol.