Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > FORD F-100 | F-150 SERIES > 2009-2014 Ford F150

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old October 14th, 2009, 06:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 3V vs 2V in f150 (supercrew)

im looking to buy a 2010 f150. my question is what is the pros of getting a 3V instead of 2Vin a 4.6? better performance, better mileage? this vehicle will be mostly used as a family vehicle for a few years and it will prob replace my 1999 xlt. is it better just to get 5.4? thanks in advance....
Old October 14th, 2009, 07:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would just get the 5.4L. The mileage is going to be around the same (depending on how you drive of course) but when you need the power (towing, passing, etc...) it's nice to have.
I hear a lot of the guys with 4.6L wishing they went with the 5.4L.

BATES

"If you see this in your rear view mirror.........MOVE!"
Banks & PHP Powered
4wheels are for guys who can't drive with 2

Old October 15th, 2009, 09:26 AM

Alien Invasion Champion! Arkanoid Champion! Boxteroid Champion! Breakout Champion! Bunny Grab Champion! Cell-Out Champion! Chicken Champion! Chopper Challenge Champion! Cop-For-This Champion! Crazy Cars Champion! Crazy Koala Champion! Curveball Champion! Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion! Disco Racer Champion! Donkey Rocket Champion! El Emigrante Champion! Flatout Minigame Champion! flyplane Champion! Girl Power Champion! Graveyard Champion! Hexxagon Champion! Ice Racer Champion! Jail Break Champion! Keg Stand Champion! Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion! Map Test Champion! Moon Lander Champion! Mystery Science Torture 3000 Champion! Navy Battles Champion! NFS Underground Champion! Parachute Panic Champion! Pin Headz Champion! Pogo Panic Champion! qmanoids Champion! Quick Shot Champion! Rally 2100 Champion! Roach Kill Champion! Ron Norths Jewels Champion! Rope Walker Champion! Rotation Champion! Run N Gun Champion! Sack Smash Champion! Shoot The Gatso Champion! Shootout Champion! Shuriken Challenge Champion! Snakeman Champion! Snowboard Slalom Champion! Sonny Sunshine Champion! Space Runner Champion! Speed Cards Champion! Spy Hunter Champion! Street Racer Champion! Submarine Champion! Summer Games Champion! Super Fishing Champion! Target Champion! TIE Fighter Shooter Champion! Turbo Turtle Champion! UFO Shoot Out Champion! War In Iraq Champion! War on Terror Champion! Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion! What-A-Shot Champion! Witch Hunt Champion! Xmas-Boarding Champion! Zoo Keeper Champion! Bloody Seal Bounce Champion! SpongeBob Bikini Bottom Champion! Yetisports 2 - Bloody Orca Slap Champion! Spongebob Shuffleboard Champion! YetiSports 10 - The End Champion! Spongebob Snowboard Race Champion! Ice Age Part 4 - Ptero Glide Champion! Kim Possible Champion! SpongeBobs Pizza Toss Champion! Bubble Bobble The Rival Champion! Twelve Swap Champion! Guitar Hero 3 Champion! BM-Rex Champion! Burn Santa Burn Champion! Ed Edd n Eddy Spin Stadium Champion! Space Hunter Champion! Batman Mystery Of The Batwoman Champion! Bike Mania Champion! Bike Mania 4 Micro Office Champion! SpongeBob Squarepants Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i test drove a 150 XLT with the 4.6L and hated every second of it. go with the 5.4L. MPG is roughly the same and you have the power to move the truck when needed
Old October 15th, 2009, 11:27 AM

Liked 122 Times in 103 Posts

I have both
an '06 - 5.4 with 3.73 LS and a '04 - 4.6 with 3.55 LS; both are 4X4's with ext. cab & short bed
the differance in power is very noticable
also, I get better mpg's with the 5.4
they both have tuners/programers

I think the reason the 5.4 gets better mpg's, is that it does not have to work as hard to
move the Truck
the 5.4 is an $800 option and worth it; try it you'll like it

also I thought all the new 4.6's were 3V
my '06 E250 with 5.4 has a 2V engine

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

Old October 17th, 2009, 01:05 PM

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Welcome to your new home!

I wished I had gotten the 5.4 just for the power alone.

I doubt I will tow anything but the Tow Pkg with the trailer control options was already on it. If they had the same truck without the package I would have gotten it and used the difference for the 5.4.

Where I live the 5.4 is $2000 plus option which effects bottom line price (tax, first registration, yearly registration difference due to weight differences between the two, licensing, other fees, all that bottom line cost stuff).

I have mixed thoughts on some of the 5.4's transmission concerns that I have read throughout the web. The 4.6 uses a 6 speed auto (probably to smooth out the ride due to vehicle power/weight ratio concerns for people who like the "car" feel - not sure) whereas the 5.4 uses a 5 speed. I have 4000 miles on my truck and averaging 17.7 mpg with the only real mods being Mobil1 oil and a modified exhaust. I am expecting to hit 18-19mpg with the tower and CAI mods planned. And I'd probably be happy as heck with the changeup if I got in the low 20's. I am not going to change the tire design radically so rolling friction wont be a concern. Mine is a street truck for normal driving.

Haven't looked around to see if the '10 - 150 has a 6 speed but the larger brakes on the '10 are a winner. I'm almost thinking a rotor and caliper change out on my '09 may be in the works when and if I need to have major brake work done (probably a few years from now).

When I hit the pedal with my 4.6 - 6 speed it revs up very quickly but really does not go move (lags about a second or so - there's less hestation on the 5.4) as fast as I would like it too when I need to pass someone quickly. But for an almost 3 ton truck it is not bad at all. Guys like me always want "more power with less at the pump costs".

I have to admit though when it moves - hold on because the tail end might get a little curly when the OD kicks in. It will surprise you for a sec the first time. I have no programer yet but I do have a modifed exhaust. I have a CAI planned (within 2-3 months) with a HELIX tower and a programer scheduled later on my wish list. I would have also put them on the 5.4 if I got that motor.

For resell consideration on the two motors, I personally believe it really doesnt matter after a couple years. Overall condition is what will give you a better tradein value.

What we leave behind are our words and our deeds. Nothing else really matters.

Last edited by HawaiianF150; October 17th, 2009 at 01:38 PM.
Old October 17th, 2009, 02:24 PM

Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

'06 - 5.4 with 3.73 LS
'04 - 4.6 with 3.55 LS

JSoko,
Obviously the 06 would perform better, its got 3.73 gearing!
There are a few factors involved in answering this question. Is the 4.6 in your budget or are both of them in your budget? Will a mother be driving this truck to pick up the kids for school? Will this truck be towing a boat or jet skis during the summer time? If you can afford it then go with the bigger engine. If you ever get into modifying the engine for maximum performance then you will be happy with going with the bigger engine to start with. Good luck in your choice and keep us up to date with pictures and such!

By the way, welcome to the site!

Old October 18th, 2009, 10:01 AM

Hmm when i test drove the 5.4 it was a blue xlt supercrew and was all decked out with a bed topper and electric side steps and tailgate steps with a 5 speed now im reading at fords sites there are no 5 speed trannys for the 5.4.

I need to quit drinking those non alcoholic beverages!

Honestly though, the the MSRP data sheet said 5 speed on the truck i drove. they wanted $38k. wonder if it was a special order.

Old October 24th, 2009, 09:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

thanks for the replies...... i learned a few things will shopping:

1. the 2v is only offered in XL, all super crews are 3v
2 i did not see any 5sp... even the 4.6 had the 6sp
3 my wife really likes the lariats, but when you are upside down on trade in.... deal breaker.
4. probably will go with xlt 5.4, since it will be my truck in a few years.
5. my wife likes the stone green but it is disc for 2010, however,the white platnimum is nice.

ill keep ya posted.
Old October 24th, 2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vGnzlz View Post
thanks for the replies...... i learned a few things will shopping:

1. the 2v is only offered in XL, all super crews are 3v
2 i did not see any 5sp... even the 4.6 had the 6sp
3 my wife really likes the lariats, but when you are upside down on trade in.... deal breaker.
4. probably will go with xlt 5.4, since it will be my truck in a few years.
5. my wife likes the stone green but it is disc for 2010, however,the white platnimum is nice.

ill keep ya posted.
my apologies to ya. lets just say i had a senior moment.

there is no 5spd on the new fomoco trucks. I was wrong. gogo senior moments!!

White is a great color it reflects the heat better than darker colors and it doesnt look as dirty as darker colors. light silver is better if you hate to wash it all the time and still want it to look good. Black is awesome if you like to see how much you need to wash it and if you like the crop circles to show up and it is awesome in absorbing heat inside the truck.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 17
975.4 , ASwaff400 , CdnArmyGuy , ericspainter , HawaiianF150 , injection , jackson1 , jimmyp135 , JSoko , Klitch , nine5flareside , poonamt93 , quick98gtp , Salatino , sbellinghausen , StrickStruck , t3ob17