Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > FORD F-100 | F-150 SERIES > 2009-2014 Ford F150

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

View Poll Results: Is a vehicle extended warranty worth the cost?
Yes 7 58.33%
No 3 25.00%
Not sure 1 8.33%
Shhh - dont ask my head hurts when I think!! 1 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old October 31st, 2009, 05:19 PM

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Default Extended Vehicle Warranty -- Is it worth it?

Anyone have any thoughts about extended warrantees?

When I bought new vehicles in the past there was always concerns about paying for the extended warranty packages that they offer or if it is a wasted cost that i did not need to consider.

In the many years past I dismissed the thought of added on warranties because vehicles were made better and lasted longer due to the basic nature of how they were designed and made. In today’s disposable society they just don’t last because a consumer have been molded into the mental acceptance that disposable and fast is best.

Past warranties were not as needed as they are today. Refundable warranty offers were a one shot concept about a decade ago. I think and i am probably wrong but foreign (Toyota) markets were the first to offer the option that if you don’t use the warranty they will give you the money back when the warranty period expires. Ford now offers the same concept that if you don’t use the warranty you get the money spent back.

Some basic thoughts come to mind on this.
1. Why would I spend the money on something that I don’t need?
2. Can I afford this added cost?
3. Why would I give them cash that they can use to increase their profit margin and stock value?
4. Am I buying something that will last and not cause me to worry about hidden undesired costs in the warranty period?
5. Vehicle warranties are based exactly like life insurance concepts - they bet you will live and they won’t pay out and you bet you will die and they will pay out.

Truth be told, I think back to the start of this rambling babble. Quality of product is in no way equal to the quality of product made years ago. Electronic and mechanical equipment manufactured today is under tremendous concerns that were never present in decades past.

That said, you really have to consider if you will get the extended warranty or not. Let’s say you don’t and all goes well, then you haven’t lost a thing and in fact you got exactly what you expected for your dollars. All is happy.

What if pay for the added warranty coverage and you don’t use it. You get your money back at the end and you've lost little except the ability to spend it elsewhere. Easiest thought is you have lost the monies you could have spent for investment or normal expenses during warranty period time frame and the manufactures have since used that money to increase their bank account.

But what if you did have to have warranty work done? Then you lose the option to get the money for the warranty package returned. What remains is reduced to the deductible you agreed upon when your paid for the coverage. In this case it would be worth it to take the vehicle in once and repair as many items wrong as possible in the single visit so you dont have to pay the deductable cost over and over again. Stack up the repairs to the visit. If it is reported at the visit they cannot charge you the deductable again when you have to bring it back later. You have already paid the deductable and reported the problems.

Therein lays the dilemma. If you agreed on a high deductable say $200 deductable and the warranty cost you $2000 or (these are negotiable amounts despite what the stealership says) more for a 7 year period. You will need to take it back at least 10 times or more (don’t forget this is also an item on the contract that is taxed) just to get your deductable money back not including the cost of material and labor.

Meaning if the cost of repair (the stupid commercial got me going on this babble) was for an alternator that cost $600 in material and $300 in labor or a transmission problem where it could costs thousands. You could potently save yourself much more that the cost of the extended warranty.

Bottom line for me was I did pay for the warranty and I agreed on a $50 deductable for 7 years of coverage for a total cost of $1800. I did it because I have no faith in today’s accepted level total craftsmanship in almost all things. I have a general rule of thought that if I spend more then $500 on something I need to seriusly consider an extended warranty at lot more closer then if it cost only $50.

What we leave behind are our words and our deeds. Nothing else really matters.

Last edited by HawaiianF150; October 31st, 2009 at 10:26 PM.
Old October 31st, 2009, 10:10 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

IK think with todays quality being what it is (crap!), the extended warranty is a good idea. Chances are, you will use it to repair something electronic on the vehicle after the manufacturers warranty expires.

Big T

Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

Old November 1st, 2009, 11:20 AM

Liked 116 Times in 98 Posts

I got the Ford ESP Premium; 100,000 mi 5 year plan
havent had to use it YET
total cost $1,240.00 & $500.00 deductable

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

Last edited by JSoko; November 1st, 2009 at 11:27 AM.
Old November 1st, 2009, 12:18 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Not to wish any ill will on you Joey, but for that cost i hope you get to use it! Even if you don't, the piece of mind is worth that much.

Big T

Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

Old November 1st, 2009, 12:35 PM

Joey, did they give the option to return your money if you dont use it? How much longer till it is over?

Old November 1st, 2009, 12:44 PM

dont know dont care, pleanty of $$$$$$ in back yard

Hawaii, what type of aircraft ?? 4 blade prop, singal canopy, thought it was a T-28 NOT

Old November 1st, 2009, 12:58 PM

dont know man Webby did me up im an old drunken sailor working for the air force I'd show you whats in my back yard but im afraid that lonely and wilting dog pee'd on blade of grass will for sure die off from stage fright.

Old November 1st, 2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianF150 View Post
that lonely and wilting dog pee'd on blade of grass will for sure die off from stage fright.

WTF me no savy

I was in the AIR FARCE

Last edited by JSoko; November 1st, 2009 at 01:09 PM.
Old November 1st, 2009, 01:10 PM

Ive got no back yard. over here the house lots are like teh yellow pages commerical "reach out and touch you nieghbor". my lot ends five feet from my house then i have a common block wall on 2 sides and in the front in my driveway. In the back its five feet of property on a hill that has a view of the whole Leeward ocean coast line. $570,000.00 is my property value and id trade ina heartbeat for a 2 bdrm place where i got garage, a stream to fish and a trail to ride on.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 5
bluesky , james1979 , machineman8625 , quick98gtp , rbiederwolf