Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > FORD F-100 | F-150 SERIES > 2004-2008 Ford F150

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old October 13th, 2010, 11:31 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Intermittent Grinding Noise

Hey All - truck's going in for my first service issue since I purchased it in dec of 2008 (2008 f150 fx4 extended cab).

Symptoms:
Driving around 30-40 mph, a grinding noise suddenly starts. It sounds like there might be something caught in the drivetrain, a squirell in the wheel well, but the best description is ice in a blender. It's really loud too. There's no way I can distinguish if the sound is coming from the front end / rear end - although it sounded like rear end to me.

Shifting into neutral doesn't change the speed / tone of the grinding noise

Hitting the brakes doesn't change the speed / tone of the grinding noise

Once I slow down to around 5 mph (or stop) - there's a clunk sound and the noise goes away.

Issue:
Based on my internet research - it appears to be an issue either with the IWE solenoid or vacuum lines controlling the 4wd. IWE solenoid has a tsb - but the vacuum lines could have been melted by my new exhaust (in which case - I'm SOL for warranty work).

TSB: TSB 06-8-15
Some 2004-2006 F-150 and 2006 Mark LT 4X4 vehicles built before 4/24/2006 may exhibit a noise in 2 wheel drive from the front Integrated Wheel Ends (IWE) and/or the 4X4 system being inoperative. The IWE solenoid may have ingested water and passed it to the IWE system causing water contamination in the vacuum portion of the system. A shorted IWE solenoid can set the codes C1979 and C1980. If either code is present, the 4WDH light will be inoperative.

Testing:
Supposedly - if you hear this grinding noise and push the switch for 4wd - the sound immediately quits. Haven't tested it yet as I'm out of town. I doubt the dealer will be able to reproduce the issue - as it occurs very infrequently - although I did get rattled when it occurred twice on Monday.
Old October 14th, 2010, 09:18 AM

Liked 115 Times in 97 Posts

sounds like your right on top of it Ted
IWE was my thought
sometimes this is caused by a cracked or loose vacuum; get under there and look around could save you a trip to the dealer
sometimes the sound is more pronounced when turning is also an indicator
good luck and keep us posted on the outcome

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

Old October 14th, 2010, 05:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just got home and had a chance to further test the theories and all.

Bad news - the IWE already has the shield installed over top of it.

Good news - The grinding occured three times on the way home from the airport - once on 60, once on 65 and once on 19 (near my house). to reproduce - the truck must be running for about 5-10 minutes - come to a complete stop - drive straight (no turns) at 40-45 mph - the noise occurs. To stop the noise - switch to 4wd mode.

So either my IWE is going bad after 15k miles or I do indeed have a vacuum leak somewhere.
Old October 15th, 2010, 10:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Back from the dealer - issue appears to be resolved. They said the vacuum lines had worked loose due to normal driving - nothing I did.

What's better - they cleaned the truck up real nice for me. Couldn't believe they did that.

I'm wondering if they may have cleared my p1000 code as well - allthough I haven't plugged the CS in yet (and haven't come close to driving it 50 miles at or over 55 mph). If the code has cleared - I'd be surprised.
Old October 18th, 2010, 01:28 PM

Liked 115 Times in 97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedC View Post
Back from the dealer - issue appears to be resolved. They said the vacuum lines had worked loose due to normal driving - nothing I did.

What's better - they cleaned the truck up real nice for me. Couldn't believe they did that.

I'm wondering if they may have cleared my p1000 code as well - allthough I haven't plugged the CS in yet (and haven't come close to driving it 50 miles at or over 55 mph). If the code has cleared - I'd be surprised.
Thanks for the up-date

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 5
dlbragg , imhsar , Scotts Black FX4 , SYVCA , TedC