Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > GARAGE TALK > Garage Talk: Shop Class 101

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old March 17th, 2011, 06:12 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Post Gott's Mod 2004-2008

Howdy once again for another installment of How-To's. This time I'll be tackling the easy (cough) to do Gott's Mod. We have another how-to for the 2009 and newer models, but not one for the 2004-2008 models. This mod is a simple (cough) and cheap upgrade that opens up your air intake. This portion that is being upgraded is the part inside the fender well (some refer to it as the snorkel, as will I during this how to) to the air filter or the suck hose for you 5.4L guys. Also, upon researching other resources, it looks like this should be applicable to the 1997-2003 F150's as well.

The stock snorkel for my truck (4.6L V8) is approximately 5" long with an inlet diameter of ONLY approximately 2". We're going to increase that inlet to 1.5 times the original, to 3"!

Project time: 3 hours
Time to sand: 2 hours
Cost of parts: $11.15
Cost of supplies: $15.81

First, let's start with the tools I used:

Now, I don't recommend using a detail sander like I did, but that's what I had on hand. I used 80 grit to do the heavy sanding, then went to 120 and finally finishing with 220 grit. That was the cost of supplies for me was the sanding sheets. For the saw, all I had was a coping saw. If you have a regular hack saw, or even a band saw, more power to you.

Parts needed:

2' section of 3" Sch 40 PVC pipe, 4.95 @ Home Depot. 3" coupler also from Home Depot for $6.20.

Time to do some cutting:

5" total length to be used. 3" of which will be sanded to fit into the fender hole.

Taking apart your intake system:

EDIT: The hose that is labeled as the PCV hose is incorrect. I think this is just a breather tube. My PCV valve is located on the passenger side valve cover.
This is directly applicable for you 4.6L guys. I think you 5.4L guys have it easier. Take out your filter, undo a tab or 2 and the tube will seperate from the filter housing. You should have only 1 screw on the back side near the elbow that you have to unscrew, and then just pull the snorkel out and your done. Back to the 4.6L guys, after you disassemble your intake, you'll have to separate the snorkel from the filter housing. To do this, there's a tab on the bottom side you'll have to squeeze in to disconnect. There's a square peg/button that is located next to that tab. You can either push in on this with your thumb or use a screw driver. Once you get the tab out of the hole, the snorkel will rotate up, and then you can pull the snorkel and filter housing apart.

The hole:

This is what we're dealing with, and 3 1/2 x 3 1/8-3 1/4" hole. Remember that round peg into a square hole thing? Well this is close, round peg into an oval hole. This is where the sanding comes into play.

New snorkel after sanding:

You'll have to sand 2 opposite sides down so it fits into the oval hole. I marked the pipe on the edge to indicate the 2 sides. Make sure they are directly opposite each other. This is where the majority of the sanding will take place. A note: You'll have to do some fitting as you progress, I had the issue of my sanding tapering and not being flat and uniform across the length. You can also see the marks on the pipe from the opening. This extends into the inner part of the fender, about 2" of pipe.

Comparing the old and the new:

New snorkel in place:

Filter housing attached to the snorkel:

When I started putting everything together, I put the snorkel in first, then the filter housing with the coupler attached next. I placed the coupler on the snorkel and pushed/pulled the filter housing into place until the tabs on the bottom lined up with the grommets. Tightened down the screw clamps on the coupler, and proceeded to put the intake assembly back together.

Here's what it looks like with everything back together:

Don't forget to disconnect your battery. I did mine for 5 minutes. This resets the computer, don't know if it's really necessary, but there's no harm in doing it just to be on the safe side.

Questions, comments, or concerns, please feel free to post!

Double(. Y .)Dee
SSG, TXARNG
OIF III ('05) & OIF VIII ('10)
Least knowledgeable when it comes to the whirly, spinny things.

How To Use The FTC Gallery
Check out the Truck of the Month forum and vote!
2004-2008 F-150 Specific How To's:
VIN Decoder
Gotts Mod - 4.6L (5.4L similar)
Big 3 Upgrade
Seat Removal
Interior Door Disassembly SCrew (RCab/SCab similar)
Interior Trim/Carpet Removal

"Fighting is not handing out cookies, it's gunfire and rockets, and there will be casualties." - Haji Khalifa Mohammad Shah

Last edited by DoubleDee; March 17th, 2011 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Correction
Old March 17th, 2011, 07:27 PM

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default More air

DOUBLEDEE
I have a ?
Is the hole over all to small or just out of round .. The reason i ask was wondering if a person could take a heat gun to the pipe so one could reshape the pipe to fit the hole .. just wondering thanks
Old March 17th, 2011, 07:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

any better throittle response or better gas mileage?
Old March 17th, 2011, 08:28 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesleeper View Post
DOUBLEDEE
I have a ?
Is the hole over all to small or just out of round .. The reason i ask was wondering if a person could take a heat gun to the pipe so one could reshape the pipe to fit the hole .. just wondering thanks
Which hole? The OEM snorkel, that's only 2" round. The hole in the fender walls is about 3 1/2 x 3 1/8 - 3 1/4".

You COULD take a heat gun to it, but... that'll be a lot of stretching. The flared opening of the OEM snorkel is right at 3". I'd figure it'd be better to just replace the OEM snorkel. It's only 12 bucks and about 3 hours out of your time to do.

It's more of un restricting the flow of air and allowing the system to breathe. Example, lets all go run a mile, then I give you a straw to breathe through, while I enjoy breathing with my mouth. That's probably the best, albeit dramatic, way of describing what this mod will do for the suck part of the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerbotts
any better throittle response or better gas mileage?
Haven't gone anywhere with it yet. I'll find out tomorrow when I go to the shootin' range.

Double(. Y .)Dee
SSG, TXARNG

VIN Decoder
Big 3 Upgrade
Seat Removal

"Fighting is not handing out cookies, it's gunfire and rockets, and there will be casualties." - Haji Khalifa Mohammad Shah
Old March 17th, 2011, 09:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

update us after the shootin range DD!
Old March 18th, 2011, 07:02 AM

Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts

nice work DD!

i did a very crude gotts mod to the expedition that didnt cost me a penny, doesnt look pretty, but it works. averaged 12.5 mpg in the city with a heavy right foot before, been averaging 13.4 mpg after, and when accelerating there is a little deeper rumble

Aaron

'95 F150 XLT, reg cab long bed, swapped 351w,
4.56 gears, 4-link SAS, 14" coil overs.

SAS Thread!!!

'04 F250 Lariat, crew cab short bed 4x4 6.0L PSD, 3.73 gears, straight piped,
sinister coolant filter, welded egr, CAT EC-1 coolant, blue spring.
60 gallon fuel tank/tool box, SCT X4 w/IDP custom tunes, SOON TO BE STUDDED!!

a bunch of boats

Old March 18th, 2011, 07:29 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

OK, so here's the update from me going out today. I was on it harder than normal today, and with the unofficial pantsometer, results say that there's not much difference. Throttle response... no. Nothing. Sound... the same. Mileage, time will tell. I really didn't expect any difference.

Double(. Y .)Dee
SSG, TXARNG

VIN Decoder
Big 3 Upgrade
Seat Removal

Old March 19th, 2011, 08:19 AM

Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts

Well you are getting more volume of cooler air into your engine... nothing wrong with that!

Old March 19th, 2011, 03:28 PM

Liked 185 Times in 167 Posts

Good work DoubleDee

have you considered removing the silencer ?

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

Old March 22nd, 2011, 07:29 AM

Liked 185 Times in 167 Posts

the fitment of the 3" PVC to the fender opening, would seem to be the biggest PITA
maybe a Rasp would make it quicker to file it to fit
and for those of you that will do this, dont put that PCV on a grinder it will clog up the grinding wheel

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.